SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comic book or learning guide for DD?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Comic book or learning guide for DD? Reply with quote

I didn't know where to put this, or what to title it exactly, but this is just a friendly suggestion. And yes, I know that nothing can happen until everything with the direction of the company gets straightened out, and even then it will take a while to organize the company's goals and efforts.

I wanted to raise the idea that you guys could print a comic book to try to help spread interest in Dragon Diceâ„¢. First, comic book readers are a good source for gamers, so it is a worthwhile market. Second, a comic book with a small print run can be made for a relatively cheap price, and advertisements for SFR could litter the thing.
Second, if sold as a stand-alone product, the comic book could pay for itself at least, even in small print runs, and there is an abundance of background story that could be used to tell specific stories. These could range from grand epic stories of battles and the different races at war, to more character-driven vehicles.
Third, if not done as a stand-alone product, the comic could be a learning insert with new starters or some other set. The stories could be tailored to illustrate what is going on behind certain rules mechanisms and icons, and could even be told in a parallel format where 2/3 of the page are the comic panels, and accompanying the panels down the length of the page would be pictures of dice-rolls, effectively showing what is being represented in the game by the various dice rolls. (It doesn't hurt to stoke the imagination of the potential game-players. And sequential art is a more efficient learning tool than written word.)
Last, a comic book may become a strong enough product to stand on its own feet and be a constant source of advertisement. SFR logo on the front cover, Dragon Diceâ„¢ and SFR adds on the back cover and inside covers, and throughout the books, on a comic that eventually generated even just 5,000 issues in sales a month, would be a constant reminder of your product in comic book stores, which are a major seller of gaming product. (And yes, I've apparently run out of points, because this last one mirrors the first. I'll stop babbling.)
It has been awhile since I looked into producing a comic book, probably 3 years, but if I remember correctly, 1,000 copies of an issue of about 30-page length can be produced for about $1000, and on cheap paper for as little as $500. Get an artist to do it for $600, use the existing artwork you have access to from TSR(if any, such as DD covers to kicker packs) for the covers to a couple issues, and you are in business.
Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a huge former comic book fan, and a big fan of Dragon Diceâ„¢.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anoher though along this line would be to put together a Power Point tutorial, as was done for another dice game. That game is somewhat simpler and shorter than DD, but someone with good PP skills could probably at least illustrate the concepts of the basic (or even demo) rules. Don't look at me- I do OK with PP, but I'm no presentation genius, plus I've got a lot of other DD projects on my plate at the moment.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: