SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To snipe, or not to snipe?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:22 pm GMT    Post subject: To snipe, or not to snipe? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this would be considered off-topic or not, but I'll save Chuck the hassle of moving it just in case it is.

As a frequent browser of eBay, I've seen my share of snipers go in at that last possible second to bid on an item they want. As a buyer, I've been on the receiving end of such auctions, having bid my highest offer and seen someone come in during the last ten seconds and sweep it away for mere pennies more. Of course this causes my den to fill with ranting and pounding as I beat my head against the wall in frustration. You curse the infidel who outbid you and hope that the item he outbid you for was somehow defective and will fall apart or crumble to dust within seconds of being removed from the box.

Now, there have also been those occasions when I have been the sniper, swooping in during the last ten seconds and claiming victory over a coveted item. In those cases I sit there with my heart pounding wondering if I was successful in my attempt, and cheering when I was. During those few moments of basking in victory, you forget completely the other guy who wanted just as badly (if not more), and is now cursing you for being a snipe. This happened to me only recently, causing me to cheer out loud and make my wife wonder if I'd lost my mind. Then, of course, I had to explain myself. "You spent how much on what?" Yeah, how many of us have been there?

As a seller, I enjoy nothing more than watching the bids on my auction creep up in the last few minutes, changing every time I reload the screen, and grinning ear-to-ear as the dollar amount increases. Then, and only then, do you feel a great affection for all the snipers out there.

The reason for this long diatribe? Curiosity, I suppose. How many of you collectors out there feel this is a valid and completely acceptable way to add to your collection? I've seen other discussions among eBayers, but none directly related to Dragon Diceâ„¢. Was I wrong today for grabbing that Swamp Stalker kicker with the Ormyrr away from people who need one, when I have two already? I have to admit, the last few seconds were such a rush while they tried to get past my highest bid, and knowing full well they wouldn't. Does that make me a jerk, or just savvy? Do I need to apologize and seek resolution from our resident Reverend, or revel in the glory?

Sound off your thoughts either way.

The floor is now open.

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a disgusting display of arrogance! How could someone even THINK about just sitting around, loading up a bid to snatch away a treasured item in the last few seconds? The unimpeded hubris of a sniper simply knows no bounds. Read what you just wrote! Think of the poor guy going through the cursing and wailing you yourself have experienced. Is it truly worth it just to get a few bits of plastic, or whatever else you have bid on? To inflict that kind of damage on potentially fragile psyches is unjustifiable. You may very well be creating the next wife beater or serial killer by destroying their dream. Reconsider your ways, foul sniper!
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
You may very well be creating the next wife beater or serial killer by destroying their dream. Reconsider your ways, foul sniper!

Wow, way to go hellfire and brimstone there, preacher. Just remember that when you point your finger at someone, there are three more pointing right back at you.

I seem to remember a certain Chaos Progenitus auction recently that you sniped me on, knowing FULL WELL that I had bid on it, and then bidding on it yourself just to make sure I paid my maximum bid.

Comment, oh blameless one? Rolling Eyes

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, you don't understand fully the nuances of eBay bidding. There is the disgusting and unmitigated evil of sniping, and then there is the judicious use of a cautious and carefully calculated bid strategy. One must absolutely consider the effect of a late bid on other bidders, but fortunately for society I have an algorithm for just such occurences. You need to do an instant background check on the other bidders (relating their current eBay feedback rating to a list of significant and/or sacred numbers from around the world), evaluate the potential for harm to their feelings by picking up cosmic vibrations from their bid listing, and figure out precisely how badly you want that item. Only then can you bid properly in the final minutes or seconds of an auction without risking cataclysmic repercussions to the harmony of the universe. Unless you are prepared to take these arduous steps, do NOT under any circumstances snipe a bid!

(Besides, you sniped me first, so you deserved it!)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
(Besides, you sniped me first, so you deserved it!)

I only bid AFTER you encouraged me too.

Where is that program. Can it be downloaded somewhere, or are you using those Heavenly connections you have to peek at the lives of other bidders?

Something ain't right out east.

ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is that program. Can it be downloaded somewhere, or are you using those Heavenly connections you have to peek at the lives of other bidders?

Trust me, I don't use heavenly connections when bidding on eBay. The program, however, is a top-secret research project being done at the request of a governmental agency which will remain nameless, and to whom I have given a signed non-disclosure statement. (Or was that you I gave the non-disclosure statement to for SF:A? I don't recall.)

Quote:
Something ain't right out east.

And you're just now figuring that out?
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
Or was that you I gave the non-disclosure statement to for SF:A? I don't recall.)

Yeah, it was me, so fess up!

Quote:
And you're just now figuring that out?

No, we're all quite aware of the state of mind of all Jerseyites. Must have something to do with all the fallout. Recall the glowing squirrels?

Quit changing the subject. You sniped, you know you sniped, and saying, "You did it to me first," doesn't justify your ranting about others that do it.

Can anyone else add anything to this? Laughing

ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find your lack of faith disturbing, padawan. The simple truth of the matter is that by using the definition of "snipe" that reads "to aim a carping or snide attack" rather than as "to bid at the last minute on eBay," no one could ever accuse me of sniping. When have you known me to EVER aim a carping or snide attack at anyone?

Let me rephrase that: When have you known me to EVER not aim a carping or snide attack at anyone?

My conscience rests easy now.

Now I can check my auctions...
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
I find your lack of faith disturbing, padawan.

Just because I refuse to join the 'dark' side, Darth Braun?

Quote:
Let me rephrase that: When have you known me to EVER not aim a carping or snide attack at anyone?

I'd be surprised if you didn't. Wink

Quote:
My conscience rests easy now.

You have a conscience? Since when? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Now I can check my auctions...

Snipe away!

You know, it's hard to win an argument with someone that does it for a living. He ain't a lawyer, but when you debate with the devil, you're stepping up a notch from them anyway. Twisted Evil

I concede.

ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

(The preceding comments do not necessarily reflect the positions of SFR, Inc., this forum, those responsible for this forum, those responsible for anything in particular, sane human beings, or even the authors themselves. The preceding was a free exchange of ideas which was designed for your entertainment only. No warranty, express or implied, is attached to this thread. If you want to post a serious response, go right ahead, we don't mind. It's just that we're not used to that kind of thing.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Totally off-topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: