SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Starters format
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I can continue making a few semi-serious posts...

I like the idea of racial starters. Several people in my gaming group would love to be able to buy specific starters.

Stan wants Amazons...
Brenda would like more Lava Elves...
Jaime would kill for more Goblins...
Chris would love to get more Dwarves...

And so on. I have enough of all of them, but being able to point them out in game stores would also be great. It just makes sense. That would make demoing the game that much easier too.

I do agree with ol' Steve, good luck to whoever gets to figure out the contents of each starter. My oldest son suggested that dragons be boxed separately in small boxes of two each. You know you're getting two dragons, but not which ones. Not a bad idea, if you ask me.

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't possible now, but maybe new dragons and terrains could be introduced like that. You get 1-2 dragons and 1-2 terrains in a pack.

SFR could also sell dragon/terrain packs separately. You could buy a racial starter or two, then if you wanted to branch out into the kicker races you could add terrains and dragons through a separate kicker. I don't know if this is feasible or even possible with the current state of things, but it's something to think about.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
It isn't possible now, but maybe new dragons and terrains could be introduced like that. You get 1-2 dragons and 1-2 terrains in a pack.

SFR could also sell dragon/terrain packs separately. You could buy a racial starter or two, then if you wanted to branch out into the kicker races you could add terrains and dragons through a separate kicker. I don't know if this is feasible or even possible with the current state of things, but it's something to think about.

We had a number of plans for new dragons and terrain. The scenario you describe above is exactly one of the plans that had been created. This is an issue that the officers and BoD will have to deal with.

With the current state of affairs I would put off all the new additions for later, focus on the basics and get it done.

Scott C
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this isn't the time or place for this question, but supposing SFR manages to get hold of enough capital to make the new racial starters, how long would it take to have them ready? What's the time frame from green-lighting this project to having merchandise on hand for sale?
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

When SFR produces new starters, could you "accidentally" have a Dwarf misprint with a bow on it? I like the symmetry. Smile

On a more serious note, are you guys going to look at the production and color mixing processes from the bottom up? Meaning, will you be looking at different samples to pick out green, yellow (gold), red, etc., versus just going with what has been used in the past?
I ask because aesthetically, I think the "Teal" dragons from the original starters are ugly, and the Coral Elves could probably have a nicer mix of colors, themselves. (The darker blue version is my preference.) The green on the Treefolk is wonderful, and would make for a great dragon. I don't like the green goblins as much, nor do they make sense in game terms.
Plus, those dark or black Lava Elves are supremely cool, and being able to replicate their look would be fantastic. The red and black stand out better on them. (At least on mine, the red is brighter, and not just a trick on the eyes.) The very reddish dwarves look great, too, although I'm willing to entertain that is partly because they stand out so much from their brethren. But having greater variety in the dice might be a nice thing.
A scarlet red would look great on the dragons, but not so on the terrains or dwarves, I'm thinking.
How about more of a "sunfire yellow" on the dragons, or just downright gold? Or even a clear/gold mix.
SFR will be using different ink colors, right? Can I suggest a gunmetal gray or silver for some of the dice? Not only would it be easy to read on many, but would look cool, and go with most races. (Those dwarven axes and Lava Elf sabres/cutlasses (cuirasses?). The bone color on the Treefolk is a great color, too, especially for a race like the Coral Elves. (I imagine some of their armor and weapons to be seashell or coral colored, and the treefolk ink is somewhat akin to the color on many seashells.) How cool would a scarlet red look as ink on the goblins? For all their enemies' blood they spill....
Just please, please don't go with white ink. It isn't horrible, but it doesn't look that great. And don't forget the Empire Strikes Back rule: Orange and blue make the best backdrop for a lightsaber duel scene. (and work well in many classic painting as well; using non-prime versions of these colors, such as orange on a bluish die, would be great.)

I know these are just my aesthetic preferences, but I'm giving my vote.
(Maybe you could take a poll, just to get some opinion, with pics of the different color variations among existing dice, including prototypes, to see what the players like.) I think we would all understand that SFR's production choices aren't a democracy; but it doesn't hurt to get the opinions of your core fans.
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That other post was getting too long and goofy. Rolling Eyes

New starters raises a question: SFR will be using the old molds, correct? So will we be stuck with the turned 7 face on the coastland terrain again?

Also, I'm curious concerning the (planned) kickers for the first 5 races: with the fifth monsters, since you can't combine them all onto one mold (couldn't mix separate colors for a single mold run), but also probably don't want to make a 60-die mold of one single die, how will this be handled? Will new molds be created for the monsters?

I ask THIS question because I absolutely hate the Raksasha. With a vengeance. The centaur is anorexic, and I'm not fond of the drider, either. If SFR does get around to doing kickers, would there be new molds for all the monsters? If so, please change the sculpts and icons on the original monsters....they look nice in many cases, but could be done better. (A certain game called D***M***** produced around the same time as DD used more finely-lined icons and black ink to great effect (the portucllis icon is very finely detailed.) I've never played that game, but some of the dice look fantastic. Of course, I'll buy the new dice anyway; but I'll probably buy twice as many if they look really cool.

That second ink color on the dice wouldn't cost too much, would it? (Blood on the blade edges, implied depth and clarity on the ID's from two colors...I can dream, can't I?) Wink
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just missing this (or more likely I'm just dense), but will the new racial starters be 23 or 24 health armies? The old starters were 23h (2r, 4u, 9c), plus 2 terrains and a dragon. I want to make up some homemade racial starters, and I want them to reflect the new ones, not the old ones.
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it would be a long way off, but if SFR ever did a Dragons-only expansion pack, with say 2 dragons, how about making that a vehicle to add some new dragons? Metallic dragons that cast spells, rather than attack, would be a nice changeup. Especially since rules for such dragons would be a little more complex, having them in a non-starter pack would be ideal.

Or, just to add a little excitement at Cons for SFR, when new starters get printed, how about doing some new dragons as promos to be given/sold at cons or online? Since most people feel that dragons by themselves aren't very powerful, a new twist on them would be pretty nice. (Yes, I understand that a dragon combined with a couple other spells can be a headache for even a large army, but my point would just be that the game is called Dragon Diceâ„¢, so Dragons should be a game-changing even most of the time.)

And since you've already got the molds, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The various symbols just mean how many magic points the dragon generates, etc.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the formula for the racial starters that are used in Dragon Diceâ„¢ events:

Starters have 24 health. So each has 8 commons, 5 uncommons, 2 rares, 2 terrains, 1 dragon. Dragon will match one of the two colors of the race. Amazons would get any color of dragon except black. 1 terrain matches the race for racial abilities, the other terrain a random from one of the other 3 colors of terrain. In other words, you always get a terrain that matches your race's racial ability, and then one that does not.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does that mean that we're pointless?

Of course not- we serve a vital function within the DD community and on this forum. Without us, this place would degenerate into a discussion board where people talked about dice, rules, and the future of SFR, instead of the multifaceted entertainment complex it has turned into. After all, isn't reading about tour stops in S&JW more entertaining than the list of new board members. (Notice I didn't say important, just entertaining.) Exactly-that's my point. Which means I am not pointless. Or a pointer. Or from West Point.
Jaz1597
dragonsteed

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

deputyfife wrote:
New starters raises a question: SFR will be using the old molds, correct? So will we be stuck with the turned 7 face on the coastland terrain again?

Not to revive an old post...but I was wondering about this, too. The old molds are going to be used, right?
I’m sure of your ability to become
My perfect enemy
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way we can afford new molds right now. So you will be stuck with the turned 7 face on the coastland standing stones. Which is a design goof-up, not a mold goof-up. In other words, the TSR designer showed it rotated, and that's how it was made.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

When new video games are released there's always a hotline-number printed in the booklets where the players can get help.
Will SFR print the Forum-URL into the booklets of the new starters??

Just an idea.. Rolling Eyes

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but we do have our website (www.sfr-inc.com) on all the SFR made products. That should get them to the forums. Note that the "Latest News" link also points you to the forums.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: