SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Dice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> As Far South as you can be!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 am GMT    Post subject: New Dice Reply with quote

This is probably going to get booted into Off Topic, but I thought technically...

Anyway, I just wanted to share the brilliant new idea that I had about our beloved game. To cut costs on the next expansion, I recommend that SFR cease buying expensive moldable plastics, and make the new run of Dragon Diceā„¢...out of SUGAR! That way, when your units go to the BUA, you can eat them!

That is all.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:33 am GMT    Post subject: Re: New Dice Reply with quote

willpell wrote:
and make the new run of Dragon Diceā„¢™...out of SUGAR!

That would make the underwater tournaments very difficult. the die would disolve before the first roll hit the bottom.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugar takes much more expensive molds than plastic......

Booted. Evil or Very Mad
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Sugar takes much more expensive molds than plastic......

Booted. Evil or Very Mad

Mr. Pint appears to have forgotten his sense of humor today...or perhaps it was his lunch. Low blood sugar is a common cause of devil horn development. He needs to eat more dice.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the sticker idea!

Print all dice's faces on self adhesive paper! Whatever race you wanna play, just stick the stickers on any die you have at home!
THAT makes it cheap!Mr. Green

Even better: just IMAGINE the dice while playing!!Cool
Besides being the cheapest version to play DD there's another advantage: you don't have to worry 'bout the odds when rolling, your roll results will always show what you were hoping for!!
(Talk about 25000 Rend-rerolls!!)

....and you can never get caught cheating!!! Twisted Evil

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but see, those aren't as funny as the sugar! (I got the idea from the new hybrid dragons, which look so much like fancy candies that I momentarily wondered how they'd taste...hm, some of the SFR guys have toddlers, so I'd assume they took pains to ensure the plastic is non-toxic?...)

But the stickers idea is actually a really good one, and is how I make homebrew dice. On which topic - are there any monsters or artifacts that are just dirt-common? I recently found out that I gave up my only Shambler to create a Burrow Worm, and am annoyed at myself for it, but then I only had one duplicate Trogā„¢ monster. Any six-sider is easily gotten from leftover starters and Monsters and Amazons packs (I believe a few of both are STILL floating around out there somewhere), but the monsters themselves are kind of hard to spare, and 10-sided dice of that particular size don't exist as far as I know.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

willpell wrote:
On which topic - are there any monsters or artifacts that are just dirt-common?

Once again, like in the other topic:

Check out Chuck's page

http://www.chuckpint.com/frame.html

Or my hp: www.rattlerhome.de (Engl. and German)

He created a value point system for all the dice (which is NOT official, but followed by many collectors/traders and which is taken over on my side as well).

The less points a monster has, the more often it's distributed.

Monsters like Sprite Swarm, Shambler, Genie (and many others with low point value) seem to breed in your collector's box, LOL.
Joking aside, after a while you'll end up with loads of monsters of one kind ...or....you'll NEVER get the monster you're looking for (like I never got any Unseelie Fairie in 10 years of DD).

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:
Monsters like Sprite Swarm, Shambler, Genie (and many others with low point value) seem to breed in your collector's box, LOL.
Joking aside, after a while you'll end up with loads of monsters of one kind ...or....you'll NEVER get the monster you're looking for (like I never got any Unseelie Fairie in 10 years of DD).

If Shamblers are dirt common, how come Chuck is still 2 short according to his trade page? (I did check it out, though I didn't memorize it.)

If I remember correctly, the production of my Monsters and Amazons packs throughout history has been as follows:

1 Sprite Swarm
1 Androsphinx
2 Gargoyle
2 Harpy (one stickered out of existence)
2 Shambler (one since traded away, one stickered)
1 Rakshasha
1 Beholder
2 Medusa (one traded away)
1 Chimera
2 Hydra (might even have been 3?)
1 Centaur

And my friend Richard has approximately the following:

1 Sprite Swarm
1 Coral Giant
1 Roc
1 Harpy
1 Shambler (which I think he got from me)
2 Rakshasha
1 Medusa (might have been from me)
1 Hydra

So at a conservative guess, we have seen 7 amazon, 4 or 5 goblin, 4 Lava Elf, 4 Dwarf, and only 3 Coral Elf monsters between us, two of the Elves being the same. For a long time, I had no Coral Elves and no Dwarves monster-wise, and Richard had like 1 of each, while we had all the Goblins, Lava Elves, and Amazons above. This is why all but one of my Goblin monsters have ceased to exist; I thought they were just more common!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:
He created a value point system for all the dice (which is NOT official, but followed by many collectors/traders and which is taken over on my side as well).

Actually I have to give credit where credit is due. Bruce Parrello started the Dragon Diceā„¢ Trading Post. He had the first on-line website that had trading for Dragon Diceā„¢. He also wrote DDAssist. When he decided to move away from Dragon Diceā„¢, he gave me the source code for DDAssist. And thus put it in the public domain. For a time, Bruce and I were in "competition" with each other. But in a very friendly sort of way. He and I often worked together and in effect made some three and four-way trades happen that could not have happened without both of us.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

willpell wrote:
If Shamblers are dirt common, how come Chuck is still 2 short according to his trade page? (I did check it out, though I didn't memorize it.)
Because many of the monsters for the "demo kits" came from my collection. I had at one time close to a hundred of each of the first five races' common monsters.
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean if I order a demo kit, it'll have a Shambler in it? Because if so I want one, not to trade to Chuck but to keep; I'm annoyed at my younger self for stickering a non-duplicate monster.

On the subject of those kits, how does one become a rep? I don't know how many opportunities to demo the game I have, but just this past Friday I taught someone how to play, and if I can get credit for doing what I was doing on occasion anyway....

Also, is there a recommended method of teaching the game? I have an unfortunate habit of going into too much detail when introducing a new player, talking about strategies and special cases that I really oughtn't mention until the player has fully processed the basics. Do reps get any kind of guidelines to follow for how to leave the demo-ee with a good impression of the game, as opposed to making their head explode?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't do "requests" for demo kits. It's simply whatever is on top of the pile. As for more info about the rep program, see the major topic of that name.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

willpell wrote:

If I remember correctly, the production of my Monsters and Amazons packs throughout history has been as follows:

1 Sprite Swarm
1 Androsphinx
2 Gargoyle
2 Harpy (one stickered out of existence)
2 Shambler (one since traded away, one stickered)
1 Rakshasha
1 Beholder
2 Medusa (one traded away)
1 Chimera
2 Hydra (might even have been 3?)
1 Centaur

Well, you got a pretty good and even distribution there!
I never had gotten a Beholder or Chimera until I started to trade with others, but I had loads of the common monsters instead!

www.dragondicer.com
Raphael Pacheco Soto
dragonfoal

puertorico.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea, dice shaped candy, if they can survive your 10 year old cousin or brother you can play with them, eat them or use them for ante (like M.t.G.), just make sure that they taste awful before giving them to your opponent.
Pelter_Boy
uncommon

fiji.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raphael Pacheco Soto wrote:
I have an idea, dice shaped candy, if they can survive your 10 year old cousin or brother you can play with them, eat them or use them for ante (like M.t.G.), just make sure that they taste awful before giving them to your opponent.

There are places that actually make chocolate dice. I don't know about other candy, but there are chocolate dice.
First person banished North
First person banished south of S&JW
First person with posts banished from the forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> As Far South as you can be! All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: