SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minor Terrains

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:46 am GMT    Post subject: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

It isn't 100% clear - when the rules say that a disastered MT is placed "out of the game", does that mean "buried" or "returned to the summoning pool"? I'm assuming it's the former, but nowhere is it entirely clear that the MT can't be reused.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:56 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

willpell wrote:
It isn't 100% clear - when the rules say that a disastered MT is placed "out of the game", does that mean "buried" or "returned to the summoning pool"? I'm assuming it's the former, but nowhere is it entirely clear that the MT can't be reused.

It says "out of the game", that's right. Whenever you place a die out of the game, you can't use it again in this game. It's like burying dice, but since it's no unit, you can't bury it, you simply "place it out of the game". The effectz is the same, it's GONE!

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, same thing I tell Cliff all the time.... Read the glossary. It defines common terms like "out of the game". Read it. It helps you understand the rules. Really.

<subliminal> you enjoy reading the glossary. the glossary is good. read all of the glossary. you enjoy reading the glossary.... </subliminal> Mr. Green
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:
It says "out of the game", that's right. Whenever you place a die out of the game, you can't use it again in this game. It's like burying dice, but since it's no unit, you can't bury it, you simply "place it out of the game". The effectz is the same, it's GONE!

I don't see any reason why the term "bury" couldn't apply to a non-unit.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

willpell wrote:

I don't see any reason why the term "bury" couldn't apply to a non-unit.

Because "buried" means taken out of the game but it might be "revived" under certain circumstances (i.e. TSR SAI on Gold Medallion) and therefore be used in the game AGAIN.
That's what the BUA (buried unit area) is for. The units are actually out of the game but sorta "wait" for possible revival in the BUA.
The minor is no unit, it's not placed in the BUA, it's placed "out of the game" immediately, it leaves the table.

The minor terrain CANNOT be revived! Never!

That's why there are certain terms used in the rules, to make them un-misunderstandable.

As Chuck said:

chuckpint wrote:
Read the glossary. It defines common terms like "out of the game". Read it. It helps you understand the rules. Really.

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:

Because "buried" means taken out of the game but it might be "revived" under certain circumstances (i.e. TSR SAI on Gold Medallion) and therefore be used in the game AGAIN.

The term "buried" was used long before the Gold Medallion came along, and even now Gold Medallion is very specific about what it can bring back from the BUA. Can anything move units from the BUA (or anywhere else) to "out of game"? If not, then there's really no reason (currently; maybe Chuck is working on something) not to combine the BUA with the OOGA just to reduce the number of usually-unnecessary zones in the game.

Quote:

Until some SAI comes along that says "Return a minor terrain that has been placed out of the game to play at the current terrain". Such an effect will probably turn up sooner or later, and it'd be easier to use familiar terms like BUA to refer to where the terrain so effected is.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Minor Terrains Reply with quote

willpell wrote:

The term "buried" was used long before the Gold Medallion came along, and even now Gold Medallion is very specific about what it can bring back from the BUA. YES! Can anything move units from the BUA (or anywhere else) to "out of game"? NO! If not, then there's really no reason (currently; maybe Chuck is working on something) not to combine the BUA with the OOGA just to reduce the number of usually-unnecessary zones in the game.Yes there is, because there's minor terrains now!

Quote:

Until some SAI comes along that says "Return a minor terrain that has been placed out of the game to play at the current terrain". Such an effect will probably turn up sooner or later, and it'd be easier to use familiar terms like BUA to refer to where the terrain so effected is. But there's nothing like that NOW!

www.dragondicer.com
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say we are working on some things that will make "out of the game" and "BUA" very different. We have the two different terms for game reasons now. They will be even more strongly used in the future.

And Deeghter, just to be fair, I have to point out that non-units do go into the BUA right now. Magic items are not units. But when they cannot be carried, they go into the BUA. They can be brought back (Dwarven spell, Silver Medallion).

We have no intention of ever changing the rule that minor terrains are "out of the game".
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

And Deeghter, just to be fair, I have to point out that non-units do go into the BUA right now. Magic items are not units. But when they cannot be carried, they go into the BUA. They can be brought back (Dwarven spell, Silver Medallion).

Yeah, you're right, I forgot about those! Embarassed

www.dragondicer.com
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

We have no intention of ever changing the rule that minor terrains are "out of the game".

I've heard this before about Charging and then later about Routing Confused .
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was said about Routing, but Routing was always an optional rule anyway. That was never said about Charging. It simply was dropped, and then people started asking "Why?".
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: