SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burial Spells

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Burial Spells Reply with quote

Has anyone thought seriously about the fact that Death's Ashes to Ashes spell does the same thing as Earth's Dust to Dust (and the Coral Elves' Bloat Corpses) but costs less? I mean, yes, black used to be able to actually gain magic by burying the dead, but if you were going to fix that, why not just bring it into line with the other colors? At the moment, attrition wars are substantially easier for Black to win than any of the races that have to pay a higher price for burial spells.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a compromise at the time. When this was changed, a large number of the then current Board of Directors where against changing black doubling by burial. So black was given a cheaper burial spell to offset.

But you are right, it is an advantage for black. It's also flavor (which you like so much Shocked ). The advantage seems to be small. I've seen quite a few armies with no black magic work just fine. I think it actually gives black a bit different style to play, i.e. kill and bury. But that's just one of a dozen or so winning styles I've seen.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).

Last edited by chuckpint on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
But you are right, it is an advantage for black. It's also flavor (which you like so much Shocked ). The advantage seems to be small. I've seen quite a few armies with no black magic work just fine. I think it actually gives black a bit different style to play, i.e. kill and bury. But that's just one of a dozen or so winning styles I've seen.

I mention it mostly because the person I taught the game to last week felt that part of the reason she lost was that I could bury her dead and she couldn't bury mine (she was playing Coral Elves and I hadn't mentioned the possibility of racial spells for either of us - I figured she had Corals in Coastland and I had Lava Elves in Highland, so hopefully it was fair). Even if I had told her about Bloat Corpses, though, I would still have been better at it than her, so she might have felt the same way. I figured that in case she asks this question next time, I should have an answer for her as to why death gets to do this better.

Do you have any recommendations as to what she should be doing to try and beat me if I've started an attrition war? I was camping in a highland 8th face and throwing Fingers of Death, with just enough units bopping around to the other two terrains to keep her from glomming them; once the first few health of her guys were buried, it turned into a pretty quick slide into oblivion, and I don't know if there's anything I should have suggested she try to unseat me. (One doesn't *try* to win one's first game against a new player one wishes to impress, after all; the dice will fall where they may, and in my case my dice were falling on top of hers and crushing them, but it would still help if I could give her something to do other than accept my good luck.)
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time split the forces in half not along racial lines. So you have half Coral Elf and half Lava Elf for each player. Or let her play the Lava Elves and see if you can beat them. Razz

Sorry to say it, but in a war of attrition in Dragon Diceâ„¢, with what you outlined you had three advantages:

First, Lava Elves are better at attrition wars than Coral Elves. Coral Elves can more easily kill the large units (rares and monsters) with Lightning Strike, but they would struggle to kill the smaller units. Lava Elves have Finger of Death, and it kills the small units rather quickly. It's also easier for Lava Elves to bury, but it's not always needed to bury. Just killing them is usually enough. Also Lava Elves can cast Dancing Lights which would just kill the Coral Elves' chance of getting good magic rolls.

Second, getting to an 8th face first is another advantage for attrition wars. Especially if your opponent can't get to a terrain to cast magic. Reserves are not as good as a terrain for magic since you can't double IDs.

Third, I'm assuming that you started the attrition war. It's always an advantage to be the first to start it. If you take out a fair number of units on the first hit, then your opponent has to cast magic to bring them back, and has very little (if any) left to attack you.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did offer to switch, but she'd had enough for one day.

I've learned I'm really not that great at army construction. I played a game today where two terrains started the game at face 6, so I got into some nice bloody melee combat which felt more or less fair; I did eventually win, but it seemed more balanced. What's interesting is that I had missile and magic guys comprising part of the fighting force, and I found that when the Amazons were rolling, I had no idea what was going to come out. There's a lot of this game that I don't think I ever understood, and still more that I certainly don't get now.

After this game (in which I played Amazons and Feral, and only just now realized that I completely forgot the Feralization power, though it's probably just as well), I played solitaire while narrating to walk a friend through it, and the results were just beyond ridiculous. This time the Lava Elves and Firewalkers just creamed their opponents with magic, camping on Face 1 of a Flatland while outmaneuvering attempts to turn it up. The army had three Rings of Stars (one in each color, which of course meant lots of wasted rolls of 1, but oh well); between Finger of Death, Lightning Strike and Firebolt, an army that had lost about half its forces in initial brawling just "played Canadian" and simply creamed their Amazon and Treefolk (with a perhaps-excessive number of magic items) foes.

The point being, I built all these armies, and I had NO idea they would function the way they did.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: