SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light Dice & Charge

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldbh
common

scotland.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:44 am GMT    Post subject: Light Dice & Charge Reply with quote

I have noticed that some (most?) players are not using a lot of 'Light' dice in their armies. In fact it appears that some collectors are selling these as redundant dice! Would anyone like to comment on the reason for this and if it is directly connected with the dropping of the Charge rule.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to answer!
As we have talked about army construction before, the best way to asemble an army is to specialize it.
A mixed army with missile, magic, maneuvers, saves and melee is versatile but since it can do EVERYTHING, but nothing very good, it's most likely to be defeated.

Now take a look at most of the light melee troops. They mostly ave pretty equally distrinuted icons of most of the fighters' abilities. Their rolling results are much less predictable as if I would use a highly melee-specialized unit instead.

There are exeptions of course, so you can't say this about EVERY race or EVERY light melee unit.

I liked to play those dice in beginners games, because you simply throw together your army, ending up with a little bit of everything, throw in a couple of magicians and off you go without having to bother about army construction.
Once you've started to get deeper into the game, assembling your armies by following certain strategies, you start to forget about those "jack of all trades"-dice and in the end I never used them again.

But I say again, there's a few exceptions to the rule.

In my opinion I agree with the above mentioned collectors.
To be honest, if you would remove most of the light melee units entirely from the game, you wouldn't lose anything.
Dividing the existing races into melee, cavalry, missile and magicians would suffice.

I think it has nothing to do with the lost rule for charging. If I would want to assemble an army for charging, there's a better way. Charging requires lots of maneuvers. You don't find "Trample" or "Rend" in light melee rares!
I would always use a combination of heavy melee and cavalry!!
Using a race that can use maneuvers as saves would be first choice because you end up with a highly specialized army in melee, maneuvers and saves (at least at THEIR terrains).
AGAIN, even here light melee troops don't add anything else but random roll results!

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:
You don't find "Trample" or "Rend" in light melee rares!

The Feral light melee rare has Rend.

Most rare light units have Counter, which is a very effective and useful SAI.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
Deeghter wrote:
You don't find "Trample" or "Rend" in light melee rares!

The Feral light melee rare has Rend.

Most rare light units have Counter, which is a very effective and useful SAI.

RIGHT! (that's why I still keep all my light melee rares!)
The Ferals are one of those exceptions I mentioned. Due to missing missile icons, the light melee Feral can be very usefull, they're combining maneuvers with saves and melee.

And I forgot about the Wolf Folk's Rend SAI Embarassed

The Counter SAI is one of the very effective SAIs and I love it, so I should clarify my opinion and state that it refers mainly to common and uncommon units.

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeghter wrote:

RIGHT! (that's why I still keep all my light melee rares!)

I'm a bit unusual, but I don't get rid of any dice unless it is abnormally over valued by the secondary community (like a fairy) or I have over 18-36 health of it.

My storage boxes will hold 21 of each common, so after that I will just give them away... except for things like the coralelf misprint and then I have 21 normal missile units and am working on getting 21 misprint units.

the rule I have setup with MissTiffany is that if it doesn't fit in my box I don't keep it. You can only have so many dice after all.
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like generalist armies, since in my opinion you get forced into playing on your opponent's turf often enough that it helps to have options. In particular, Amazon Runners are handy because they can count their maneuvers as missile at flatlands, while also having actual missile for when they get stuck at non-flatlands.

The game could maybe do with some more ways to convert icons, to make these dice more valuable. But then, the Acolytes are just going to not have light dice, so perhaps SFR as a whole agrees with this sentiment.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

willpell wrote:
I like generalist armies,
I've commented on this before. Smile

Quote:
But then, the Acolytes are just going to not have light dice, so perhaps SFR as a whole agrees with this sentiment.

I'm sorry, but that statement is just wrong on many levels. Acolytes don't follow the traditional 5 types, but what they have definately include lights units.

All shareholders had access to the creative process that resulted in Acolytes. So you would have to modify your statement to say that the SFR Shareholders (which are the majority of experienced Dragon Diceâ„¢ players)

Plus the Eldarim did it to themselves. We don't control them. We just said that there started fours races with normal types who eventually 'cross-trained' to become the masters and hunters. Missile dropped out first because the Eldarim Champions don't have missile on them. Then the types began to blur, so there is a light unit, but its mixed with another type as well. and I'm not big into hyphen's so one name has to get dropped, but a sword by any other name still cuts as deep.
willpell
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my mistake. I thought I remembered from the New Race thread that they were dropping Light troops in favor of Shieldbearers. That would have left five units specialized toward the five icons in the game, which seemed like a logical choice if you had decided Light wasn't effective. But it was a while ago that I read the thread, so I guess I misremembered something.
Designer of Hybrid Dragon Breaths, the Enchant Element spell, new colored Dragonkin Breaths, and various homebrew races and dragons. If you want to know where to find them...good luck, I don't remember anymore.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: