SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Quest for the Unseelie King

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Steve & Joe's World
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:33 pm GMT    Post subject: The Quest for the Unseelie King Reply with quote

The Quest for the Unseelie King

Introduction

Do you like webcomics So do I! But I can’t draw, and I have been known to write a thing or two in the past. So this is my non-illustrated webcomic wannabe

The story is set in the world of Esfah, on the continent of Cyrea (from Chill Wind). It follows the quest of a party of several Dragon Dice™ characters as they seek…well, the title is more or less self-explanatory.

The party consists of the following characters. (Any resemblance between these characters and any real-life people is probably intentional.)

Dodric: A Vaghan Warlord who saw some action in the last war, and is generally peeved at the world in general. He acts as the commander and sometimes father-figure to the rest of the party.

Roburk: A black Pelterim (aka Acolyte Toxophilite) who has little experience of battle and even less patience waiting to get into it. He is also a font of way too much information.

J'onboy: An Areosan Apprentice who is just as adept at keeping his own magic from working as he is stopping the magic of others. He does seem to have a strange way of lucking into the right decisions.

Stefamari: A Selumari™ Horsegirl whose mount is from the Bellasari Stables and, just coincidentally, has a rainbow-colored mane like a certain miniature. She is less knowledgeable about tactics than some, but eager to try her hand at anything.

I hope to produce two episodes a week for the time being (time being at something of a premium for me at the moment). The forum has been a quiet place lately. With Joe temporarily out of commission, it falls on me to change that.

One request-please do not post comments, questions, or ideas in this topic. I’ve added a topic for comments, so use that instead. Any posts made in this topic that are not by me will be moved and/or deleted I want to keep the story flow going here.

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: There will be no further disclaimers in this particular series.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 1: Kids Will Be…Whatever

Dodric rolled out of bed. He felt a strange urge to smite something, but managed to hold it back. Blast this grabwuk assignment! he thought to himself. How did I get stuck watching the kids on this one? Especially these three. He muttered a few choice Vaghan phrases under his breath as he put on his armor and grabbed his legendary axe, Saksifoen. With a final interjection, he left the house.

He wasn’t surprised that the new recruits were waiting outside. A motley crew, he thought. Looking them over, Dodric found he was perhaps slightly less impressed with them than he had been when the Council had given him this assignment. How they were going to complete the mission they had been given was certainly beyond Dodric’s feeble powers of divination.

The new guy, Roburk, was shooting off his bow. At least he’s not shooting off his mouth, groused Dodric. He had not yet become accustomed to these new troops, the Acolytes of the Eldarim. This one dressed in black, and looked pretty much like a Trog™ Pelter. Yet somehow he had no connection to Earth, which disturbed the dwarf for some vague reason. And that Acolyte title, Toxophilite, didn’t exactly roll off the tongue. If I can make a warrior out of this one, I should be allowed to retire in peace, he thought.

Dodric had known a few Areosa during his life, so J’onboy, the Apprentice, was more familiar. He didn’t know much about the kid, except that he had a reputation for being very lucky, and for having an anti-magic effect not only on opponents, but sometimes on himself. Can’t argue against luck, Dodric mused. We’ll need more than our share for this mission.

Finally there was Stefamari, the Selumari™ Horsewoman. She was a classic example of her race, down to the blue skin and green hair. Still, Dodric hadn’t yet recovered from seeing her ride up on that horse. The rainbow-colored mane just wasn’t…natural. It looked like something a kid would play with, or, worse yet, one of the “collectible” figures they sold through the Cyrean Merchant Network. Ah, well, she’s got a good attitude, Dodric murmured. I’ll just have to teach pretty much everything about being a warrior, though.

The squad realized Dodric had come out, and were lining up somewhat haphazardly in front of him. They managed to make a fairly straight line and come to attention. (Roburk’s posture was unnaturally upright. Dodric recognized the Jorparks Marching Masters technique and groaned inwardly. That looked good on parade, but in battle? Just one more thing to deal with.)

“OK, troops, listen up,” Dodric called. “We’ve been given an incredibly difficult mission, so I want to get started right away.”
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 2: Mission Impossible to Begin

“The situation in Cyrea is serious,” Dodric began. Just then, Stefamari’s hand shot up. He sighed. “Yes?”

“I have to go fulfill the calling of nature,” Stefamari said.

At that, J’onboy’s ears perked up. “Yeah, me too,” he added.

Always the same thing. When there’s work to be done, everyone has to go fulfill the calling of nature, Dodric muttered to himself. Aloud, he said in an exasperated tone, “All right, go ahead. You have two minutes.” He turned to Roburk. “What about you?”

“No, sir!” Roburk shouted. “I have fulfilled all the calls of nature necessary for me to maintain my peak performance.”

Dodric stopped, about to think something to himself. No, that one’s too easy, he mused, and let it pass.

In one minute and 59 seconds the two youngsters returned. At least they know not to be late when I set a time, Dodric thought, almost smiling. He continued his speech. “Now, the one creature who may be able to help us in the current situation…yes, Roburk?”

“Sir, what situation, sir?” Roburk shouted.

“Enough with the shouting, son. You’ll disturb the neighboring units,” Dodric said. “And as to the situation, it’s the one I told you about before nature called your companions.”

“Excuse me, sir,” Stefamari interrupted, “but you didn’t explain what the situation was.”

Dodric mentally reviewed his Vaghan oath vocabulary as his eyes rolled upward. He then caught sight of something that made him pause. “Hmmm…it appears that you are correct,” he admitted. “I see that I mentioned a situation, but wasn’t more specific. Very well, then, let me start over…”

“The situation in Cyrea is serious,” Dodric began. Just then, Stefamari’s hand shot up. He sighed. “Yes?”

“I have to go fulfill the calling of nature,” Stefamari said.

At that, J’onboy’s ears perked up. “Yeah, me too,” he added.

Dodric cleared his throat. “Let’s try that again...”

“The situation in Cyrea is serious,” Dodric began. This time, no calls. Dodric offered a brief prayer to Eldurim, then continued.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 3: What Are YOU Looking For?

“Now, the one creature who may be able to help us in the current situation is the King of the Unseelie Court,” Dodric continued. “Unfortunately, no one has seen an Unseelie Faerie of any type for many years.”

Roburk’s hand shot up. “Yes?” Dodric asked, mildly exasperated.

“I saw one once,” he said.

“You did not!” exclaimed J’onboy. “You only thought you saw one. It was just one of those Uttercraps, or whatever they’re called.”

“Did SO!” shouted Roburk. “I know an Unseelie Faerie when I see one. They’re powerful mages.”

J’onboy snorted. “Shows what you know,” he snickered. “Unseelie Faeries are pretty grabwuk close to useless.”

“They’re ugly, too,” added Stefamari, with a shiver. “I wouldn’t want to have to look at one for very long.”

“OK, kids, that’s ENOUGH!” shouted Dodric. I need another ale…no, make that several, he thought. “Now just sit and listen up. Having the Unseelie King join our forces isn’t about his power; it’s about what he can do for us psychologically. Having an Unseelie Faerie in our forces will simply awe our opponents, perhaps enough to distract them from their battle plans.”

“What if our enemies have one, or maybe even more?” Stefamari asked.

“Not much chance of that,” Dodric answered. “The Unseelies are the rarest creatures to sight in all of Cyrea. Only perhaps in Evan’s Town, back on the eastern continent, could you find an army with more than one. They certainly have proven extremely rare over here.”

“So, where do we find him?” asked J’onboy.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 4: Now You See Him…Yeah, Right!

“We have two leads,” Dodric replied. “One is somewhere near their origins, near the coastal shores by the Uruzaks. That’s Empyrean country, but I’m not too worried about them.”

Roburk interrupted. “I think I saw one near Dekskon once, along with his court mage, an Inferno.”

“Oh, yeah, like THAT would ever happen!” J’onboy mocked. “You might see an Unseelie once in your life, and an Inferno maybe twice, but together? That’s just crazy talk.”

Dodric sighed. (It was getting to be a habit.) Roburk and crazy talk? That’s pretty much a given. “Never mind,” he said. “Our goal is to find one now.”

“So where else can we look?” Stefamari asked.

“The other is over on the coast near Tulgesh,” Dodric replied. “There are rumors that he may have led an army over there just because there’s so much to burn. I’m inclined to doubt it, but we can’t rule out the possibility.”

Stefmari jumped up and down. “Oh, cool! So we’re gonna go to my house? Mom and Dad will be so excited!”

Dodric slapped his hand to his forehead. “No, Stefamari, we’re not going there yet. I think the Uruzak lead is more likely, so we’ll try there first.”

The Selumari™ girl looked upset. But before she could start crying, Roburk raised his hand again. Dodric rolled his eyes. “Yes, Roburk?”

“My dad saw one once,” Roburk said. “He said it was ugly, He captured it and locked it up.”

J’onboy snickered. Stefamari began to sob softly. I think I might join her, Dodric said to himself.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 5: Time to Hit the Road (Sooner or Later)

How long is she going to be in there? fumed Dodric. We were supposed to leave hours ago.

Stefamari finally emerged from the facilities. “Ok, next?” she called, oblivious to the glare from Dodric and the whispers of Roburk and J’onboy.

“Now listen,” Dodric explained. “We’re headed to the Uruzaks to look for the Unseelie King, but this isn’t a vacation trip. The Morehl™ have been moving into the Plaguelands, supposedly as advisors to the Faeli. We suspect there’s more to it than that, but that’s not our concern. We just have to keep our eyes open for any Lava Elves we might come across. All right, let’s move out.”

With that, Dodric led his squad out through the gates of the city. Stefamari rode her horse, which she had obviously spent a great deal of time grooming. That’s not going to last long, thought Dodric. J’onboy had kind of brushed his fur, and wore a suit of scavenged leather armor. He already had an icicle in hand, which would certainly melt soon and probably get in the way of his casting, Dodric thought. Then again, the way he casts that might not be such a bad thing, he added to himself.

Roburk was another story. He wore some kind of strange pants made from a stiff blue material, and a ragged shirt that proclaimed in Trog™ “I Can’t-I Have Target Practice.” He pulled absently at his sling, and Dodric just briefly thought he detected some sounds that might be vaguely musical. Ah, it’s probably just squat, he surmised. At least he’s quiet for now.

The trip to the Uruzaks generally took about four days. Dodric estimated his crew could do it in eight. Maybe. They had plenty of supplies, though, and the journey wasn’t particularly dangerous until the got close to the mountains. Most would be through the Kafnaysans, which meant Dodric would be on familiar ground and the rookies wouldn’t be far from safety.

The squad moved on in relative quiet. Roburk and J’onboy occasionally argued about random subjects, like some game called Draconic Cubes that Dodric had never heard of. Stefamari talked to her horse, which was far less annoying than Roburk talking to himself. Dodric just kept walking, making sure his charges kept up but basically ignoring them, intent on the journey.

About an hour into the trip, Roburk spoke up. “Sir?”

“Yes?” answered Dodric, with some trepidation.

“Are we closer to there or home?” Roburk asked.

Dodric groaned. It was going to be a long trip.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Steve & Joe's World All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: