SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One of each!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:20 pm GMT    Post subject: One of each! Reply with quote

The die is cast.

I have finalized the format of what I call the "One of Each" tournament.
It is a variant of Single Race in which each army is pre-built. To wit: each army consists of one of each rare, uncommon and monster of a race and three of each common. The extra commons raise the health total to 60.

The first 5 races, of course, are each short a monster, so I added a promotional die to each of their armies to raise them to 60 health.
I gave the Amazons a bronze medallion, giving them access to black magic and a use for Airy Acquisition.
The dwarves got a gold medallion, which, if lost, they could restore with Reforge Item.
Not wanting to dole out colored Eldarim, yet keeping with the "one of each" theme, I was left with a DragonLord, DragonSlayer, King's Die and a silver medallion. I discarded the silver medallion since I didn't think its logo would be useful without other items, and I had already used the bronze and gold.
I then looked at the monsters the elves and goblins had and assigned dice to fill gaps.
The goblins, having only two magic icons on their monsters, got the DragonLord.
The lava elves, with two save and/or counter icons on each monster, got the save heavy DragonSlayer.
That left a King's Die for the coral elves. With luck it'll save them 12 points of healing magic every 3 turns or so.

I also set aside a 13th army, composed of a Dragon Lord, a 'Slayer, and one of each 'Master, 'Hunter and medallion. They will wait in the final round.

I am anxious to see which race will emerge victorious.
In this format, will the general icon distribution of the Firewalkers be their strength or their undoing?
Do light magic troops give the Undead have the edge?
What of the Frostwings and their abundance of Fly icons?
Will an army of Eldarim simply overpower everyone else?

What do *you* think? I am taking all bets, as it were. Cool I'd like to see which race is given the edge by the bone rollers out there.
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:35 pm GMT    Post subject: The matches Reply with quote

Thought I'd break my notes about this tournament into bite-sized chunks.

If I were running this as, say, a convention event, I would most likely randomly put the players in order, then have each select the race they would play. I'd run 3 swiss draw rounds with an alpha format final. Come to think of it, making the preliminary round alpha format may be a better option.

Unfortunately, I don't have the players for this. Since I needed to get the rust out and reacquaint myself with the rules, it's just as well.

I built a three branched single-elimination bracket with an alpha format final. I randomly assigned races to the brackets and first matches.

Here are the first matches:
In the west:
Firewalkers vs. Coral Elves + King's Die
Undead vs. Lava Elves + DragonSlayer

South:
Feral vs. Goblins + DragonLord
Swamp Stalkers vs. Frostwings

East:
Scalders vs. Dwarves + gold medallion
Treefolk vs. Amazons + bronze medallion

North:
Eldarim + medallions

Given this, who will emerge from each region? Any thoughts?
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Dragons, Dragonkin and Terrains Reply with quote

Now that we have the armies and the matches, what about the peripheral dice? How to select the dragons, dragonkin and terrains for each army?

For the dragons, I first decided that in keeping with the "one of each" idea, each race would bring a drake and a wyrm of one of their colors, and a wyrm of the other. I then ranked the colors by nastiness of breath effect. My subjective ranking is thus:
Blue
Black
Gold
Red
Green

Each race would bring two dragons of their higher ranked ("on") color, and a wyrm of the lower ranked ("off") color. This meant that there would be no green drakes in any game. Oh, well.
The Amazons, colorless anomalies that they are, will bring three ivory dragons.
To add some spice, and because I think they're so bloody cool, I added a pair each of ivory and white dragons to the pool. I know this is not strictly permitted by the rules, Razz but I want to see these new dragons in action!

At first I didn't want to use dragonkin. They were one more thing and this idea was complicated enough. They turned out to not be so hard, though. Each army could bring a champion, rare, uncommon and common of each of its colors and get 20 health. In my experience 'kin are used to reinforce and fortify so I decided a race would bring 'kin cavalry (except for the champion, of course) in its "on" color and heavy troops in its "off" color. The Amazons will bring blue and gold, since they want to be on flatland anyway.

For terrains, the selection for each race was prioritized like this:
-special abilities
-magic affinity (matching colors)
-range preference (melee missile magic: which is prefered?)

For example: the Firewalkers want blue in their terrains to use terrain flight. Two terrain types have blue, but neither has red, so it's down to how they want to fight. Since flaming shields give them an edge in melee combat, and flatlands favor melee, they will bring two flatland terrains.
Another example: The Undead have neither terrain specific abilities nor colors that match any terrains. They just want to get the opponent within arm's reach and beat the stuffings out of them. So, flatlands for them, too.

I didn't ponder 8th faces all that much. Most races will have a city at home and a tower at the frontier. The Amazons and Frostwings may have a tower at home and stones at the frontier.

This makes initiative choice very interesting. I figured most would want to go first but some will need the terrain advantage.
For example, in the first match -Firewalkers vs. Coral Elves- without rolling die one I can say the 'walkers will go first and the frontier will be coastland. The elves need to be able to count maneuvers as saves, while the 'walkers are happy with any blue on the frontier and the chance to consolidate first.
Perhaps that decision should be automated, then: Whoever wins the horde roll goes first.
I will tinker with that and see how it rolls. Smile

With this much thinking regarding terrains I decided to skip minor terrains altogether.

Thanks for reading this. Cool
I will post results as they are available.
-John
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmonnett wrote:
I discarded the silver medallion since I didn't think its logo would be useful without other items

If you gave the Silver medallion to the Coral Elves,
they could cast Degenerate Dragonkin,
and use the Silver Medallion to return their buried Dragonkin.
I feel that the Silver medallion belongs to the Coral elves.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Coral Elves did get the Silver medallion,
perhaps you could give the King's Die to the Lava Elves.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Idea would be to "EnSlave" a 5th monster for races.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that there are Hybrids....
Each Race should get their dragon.
Frostwings get the Blue/Black (Drake and Wyrm one of each....)
Goblins get the Gold/Black
etc....

The Eldarim should get a pool of elemental dragons to Choose from...Including the White Dragon.
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 am GMT    Post subject: Redux Reply with quote

I'm reviving this thread because, with the advent of Battlefields, hybrid dragons and the Acolytes, things have changed significantly.

I re-evaulated terrains and dragons for each race. I also took another look at subbing for the "missing" 5th monster of the original races. I also really, really want to see how the special terrains work before GENCON.

So here are the changes:
1) The 5th monsters are now represented by artifacts. With the Eldarim a fully functioning race it didn't seem right to use them anymore, which just left the medallions and the King to fill holes, or adding more 6-sided units. So I settled on the monster-like (10 sided, anyway) artifacts. I gave the Amazons a black Dragon Staff to give them access to black magic. Everybody else got an artifact to fill a need: Coral Elves got a Mantlet, Dwarves a Trebuchet, Lava Elves a Flying Carpet and the Goblins a Blade Golem.

2)3 races got new home terrain types: Obviously, the Firewalkers are now in the Wasteland, and the Scalders in the Feyland. Less obviously, the Undead are now also in the Wasteland, since it has more melee faces than any other terrain type.

3) The dragon mix is now 2 hybrids (black ivory hybrids in the case of the Undead and Amazons) and an ivory drake (black for the Undead). Two whites will also be in the communal pool because I still think they're nifty.

4) The Eldarim get their own tournament (one I get my hands on some Dragon Zealots) to determine which color is strongest. Armies will consist of one of each champion, 2 of each rare and uncommon, and 3 of each common, minus 1 missile unit.

5) With 12 races and 4 special terrains, three races will have each special terrain as a proposed frontier. I scattered them across the terrain types, and tried to fit them to what each race might prefer to do. I came up with this:
Grove: Amazon, Frostwing, Treefolk
Castle: Coral Elves, Lava Elves, Goblins
Dragon's Lair: Undead, Feral, Dwarves
Vortex: Firewalkers, Swamp Stalkers, Scalders
5a) Figured I'd put some thought into home terrains as well:
Stones: Amazon, Frostwing, Undead
Temple: Scalders, Goblins, Lava Elves
City: Dwarves, Feral, Treefolk
Tower: Firewalkers, Swamp Stalkers, Coral Elves

6) The winner of the Horde roll will always go first.

7)The tournament will now be a two-sided bracket, with 4 races getting first-round byes.
Pairings have yet to be determined.

Now to get rolling! Smile
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:12 am GMT    Post subject: The Match-ups Reply with quote

East:
Swamp Stalkers vs. Undead; winner faces the Dwarves
Feral vs. Treefolk; winner faces the Coral Elves

West:
Amazons vs. Firewalkers; winner faces the Lava Elves
Scalders vs. Frostwings; winner faces the Goblins

I've already played one match. I'm sure it will come as no surprise that the Scalders beat the Frostwings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: