SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campaign Mini-games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:00 am GMT    Post subject: Campaign Mini-games Reply with quote

Due to lack of time, my nephew and I have all but abandoned our larger campaign and have embraced the concept of what we call mini-games.

The idea of the mini-game is to have only one terrain to battle for, though with variable stipulations. The rules are basically the same as a standard game, only on a smaller scale, and with the addition of some variables.

Each player begins with and army of any size (we prefer 24hp because the number is divisible by, 1, 2, 3, and 4), including the appropriate number of dragons (24hp=1), a single terrain die, and a minor terrain. Dragonkin are permitted, but must be summoned as usual, and items and artifacts are permissable only if agreed upon ahead of time. The official rules are then adhered to, with the following exceptions...

The beginning of the game is like a football coin flip. To decide on which terrain die is used, each player rolls for maneuvers. The winner then gets to choose between either of the following a.) deciding the terrain, or b.) going first. If the player decides to go first, his opponent gets to decide on which terrain. If the player picks the terrain, his opponent then acts first.
Obviously, with one army, there is only an optional maneuver roll, and one march per turn, and no reserves.

To win a typical game, one player must either annihilate the opponent, capture the eigth face and then keep it for five rounds. If the terrain switches hands, a new five count will begin.

There can be various stipulations on the winning scenario. Perhaps one player might have to get to 8, and his opponent might have to get to 1? Perhaps the battle could be magic only? Perhaps the stipulation could require total annihilation, or capturing a certain magical item? As long as the scenario is agreed upon and balanced, the game should be competitive and fun.

Themed scenarios can be developed through this mini-game system, and the more mini-armies we create, we figure we can find an excuse to combine them and play an original game with the standard rules. Our first idea is based on a scenario where a contingent Coral Elf Knights are called upon to eliminate a nest of Scalder Ettercaps that are threatening their villages.

Obviously, the one terrain game poses some rules snafus, such as the Firewalkers losing a racial advantage of flying between terrains, th SAI Ferry being useless, and the Gold spell Path becoming obsolete. Other spells and durations are also effected. We'll try to deal with those issues as they come.

I will post our games and the results as we play them for anyone who is interested. I hope people will provide feedback.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. I once played in an anti-terrain-moving game like you describe (trying to get the face to 1). It makes the game intriguing, since it is magic troops, not melee troops, that put you "over the top."

With your concpets, you might want to try a scenario using the "No Magic" rule we've tried in the CWC. We occasionally have played games in which magic doesn't work at all-including magic items. In fact, we might try your one-terrain idea at some point when there are only a couple of players involved (although a 5-6 player game at one terrain has its own attraction).

I'll be watching this thread with interest.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first mini-game is set. We have decided on the scenario, the dice we will use, and the rules. We just didn't have time to play it, but hopefully we will tomorrow, and I'll try to post the results tomorrow night.

The scenario: On the Island of Agualantis, a tribe of Scalder Ettercaps has moved into the hills near Verdemari (the name we gave Aqualantis Selumari™) territory, and is threatening several fishing villages along the jungle rivers. The Verdemari leaders immediately dispatched a contingent of knights to eradicate the vile creatures. Needless to say, the Ettercaps did not take the threat lightly, and with the aid of a small nest of Web Birds as allys mobilized to defend themselves and their lair.

The rules: Standard rules of game play, but with one terrain, to be chosen by a maneuver roll. The goal of either army is to either completely destroy the enemy, or capture the eighth face and hold it for five turns, thus establishing control of the territory. We decided to use the ferry SAI as a save and a maneuver for the Gryphon (like fly) and that when rolled during melee, it also counts as four extra optional saves for the army, as if the Gryphon had ferried away some troops to safety. Because this seems awfully generous, we decided that all ferried dice, including the Gryphon, would then be ineligible to counter attack during skirmish, thus the reason for making the extra protection optional.

The dice: (We decided that I would play the Coral Elves and my nephew would play the Scalders.)

Coral Elves:
Gryphon x1
Eagle Knight x1
Enchanter x1
Knight x4
Horseman x6
Total: 24 hp
Also:
Coastland Temple (Proposed terrain)
Coastland Village (minor)
Blue Wyrm
Blue Dragonkin

Scalders:
Ettercap x5
Web Birds x1
Also:
Highland Tower (Proposed Terrain)
Highland Village (minor)
Red Wyrm
Red Dragonkin

(Note of interest: Neither of us wanted to include a green dragon or dragonkin for fear of our opponent summoning them for use against us--lol!)

Pregame analysis:
Having the advantage of owning the collection, I looked over the dice tonight and wonder what my poor Coral Elves have gotten themselves into. While I have excellent mobility, good melee prowess, saves, and a little magic to boot, I see that the Ettercaps are deceptively fast, have a lot of missle power, magic, and flaming sheilds, to cover their lack of melee prowess. I fear that intangibility will make missle combat very dangerous for my troops. It should be an excellent fight. I'll report asap after we play.
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky enough to get in our game this evening, and loved playing so much we actually played twice with completely different results! We are planning to play a tiebreaker tomorrow, so look for the results in the next few days.

First Game:
After an initial struggle, the Ettercaps had just managed to outflank my cavalry and lured us into the hills for an ambush. (The fist result was an 8-8 tie, the second result was a 12-11 victory for the Scalders. My nephew chose the terrain over going first. The initial roll was a 5, putting us at missle range.)

The armies engaged at a distance, but the Coral Elves, though closing in, could not get close enough for a skirmish, and though skilled archers, saw their arrows pass woefully through the ranks of the Scalders. (Failed maneuvering and intangibility!)

The ettercaps then fired their deadly slings, killing the elven enchanter dead (bulls-eye!) and more stones picked off a pair of horsemen.

On the next engagement, the Verdemari elves managed to get close enough for a melee attack and fought fiercely, but unfortunately the ettercaps defended well, and the elves actually fell to their scorching touch! The elves managed to hold off a counter attack, but were sorely damaged. (Damn that scorching touch!)

The ettercaps, now seemingly able to maneuver at will, moved back into missle range and stoned the Gryphon to death (bullseye!) and sent another two knights to their death, leaving only the Eagle Knight left to fight. It wasn't too long before he met his demise too, from the deadly ettercap stones.

As I feared earlier, the game was basically a massacre.

Second game:

Feeling that I could do better, I asked for a rematch, and here is the result...

The Verdemari cavalry stormed into the hills and chased the ettercaps into their coastland territory, where they closed in for the kill! (Elves won the maneuver roll, chose a coastland temple, and rolled a six. Remember, in this mini-game, choosing the terrain allows the opponant to act first.)

Cornered against the coast, the ettercaps turned and fought fiercely, but were easily repelled. The web birds managed, however, to immobilize the gryphon with their sticky webs. A cantrip woven by the Enchanter conjured two blue dragonkin, whose scaley hides would come in handy. (Counting maneuvers as saves really helped too!)

Without their Gryphon, the elves attacked, and while wounding an ettercap, could not make a kill, and the elves paid for it by succumbing to the scorching touch of the scalder sheilds. (Oops! I paid for that attack by not waiting for better protection and lost 6hp in troops. I counted the dragonkin as auto saves here, though we weren't sure if we were supposed to.) Despite their depleted forces, the ettercap counter attack did not produce casualties.

The ettercaps attempted to get into position to fire their missles, but the elves kept close, and another melee attack fell flat. The elves withheld their counter attack, fearing the scorching touch of the scalders.

Having emerged from the sticky webs, the gryphon led a bold maneuver and the elves closed in on the temple, and were close to capturing it, while the enchanter wove a cantrip and conjured a wall of ice. The next attack went well as the sharp elven swords managed to cut down one of the vile ettercaps and only lost a single horseman in the exchange. (That wall of ice was just enough protection.)

The ettercaps made a move for the temple, but were easily cut off, and their melee attack was repelled once again by the fleet-footed elves. Once again, the Verdemari played it safe and chose to withhold their counter attack. They instead chose to make their own move for the temple, and succeeded!

With the Temple of Aguarehl firmly in their hands, the Verdemari, knowing that missles were useless against such a shadowy foe, and that melee was doing more damage than good, decided that the best course of action was to...zap! An ettercap was burned to a crisp by a bolt of magic lightning! More spell power started bringing troops back from the dead with the breath of life.

Three more turns, and the Scalder Ettercap threat was eliminated!

Analysis:

As seen, the widely different outcomes was interesting. I hope to have the results of a tiebreaking game tomorrow.

Last edited by Darth Macho on Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:08 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:51 pm GMT    Post subject: mini games Reply with quote

i like this mini-game idea, however as an alternative to giving up paths, terrain flight and ferrys, why not just have the 2 home terrains start on the 8th face with their respective owners in control. this way the battle is for the frontier mainly, and you each can still have 2 marches if desired. you could also have the stipulation that home terrains cannot be attacked if you wanted to cut some time from the game. just a thought. Razz den
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:17 am GMT    Post subject: Re: mini games Reply with quote

eggsaladsandwich wrote:
i like this mini-game idea, however as an alternative to giving up paths, terrain flight and ferrys, why not just have the 2 home terrains start on the 8th face with their respective owners in control. this way the battle is for the frontier mainly, and you each can still have 2 marches if desired. you could also have the stipulation that home terrains cannot be attacked if you wanted to cut some time from the game. just a thought. Razz den

Thanks for the input. It is not a bad idea. Cool
I think, though, that part of the appeal of the mini-game is the mano y mano action between two small and specialized forces.
I think your idea has a lot of appeal for sticking close to the original game. Smile I think I'll try it sometime.
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results of the tiebreaker game:

The Coral Elves got the jump on the nasty Ettercaps and lured them easily into their coastland territory, where they could use their knowledge of the terrain to their advantage. The two armies remained well distant from each other at first, choosing to feel each other out. (I hit the jackpot with this roll, getting 18 maneuvers to 8, and chose to battle on the coast. The initial roll was 1, magic, and the ettercaps were free to act first.)

Fearing the searing bite of Selumari™ lightning spells, the ettercaps wisely attempted to close in to missle range, but were thwarted by the fleet footed knights. (Scalders roll 12 maneuvers, but elves roll a 16!)

Proficient in magic themselves, the hairy beasts conjured up the forces of fire and water! Summoning the power of Firiel, a deadly dragon of soot and flame was summoned to the terrain, and instantly attacked the elven cavalry. (8 points of magic. A bold, but possibly rookie move to summon a dragon to fight a formidable cavalry at full strength!)

The vicious wyrm lashes out with its claw! The strike misses, and the counter attack wounds, but does not kill the beast! (Plenty of saves, and a near kill at 9 melee points!)

The red terror circles and attacks again, (CE turn now begins, thus the fresh attack.) lashing out with its tail, not once, but twice, and then suddenly, the roar of flaming breath! AAAAAAAAGH! A knight and three horsemen are engulfed in flames and are turned to dust (all get buried), but the blows of the tail are easily delected, and a torrent of bitter blades slash away at the mighty beast and destroy it! (An overwhelming roll in which all dice, except for one lonely horseman, rolled melee or face. Lucky me. I shamelessly tried to promote a unit, but my nephew reminded me that my troops were mere ashes now.)

Slightly depleted, but encouraged by the slaughter of the dragon, their enchanter alive and well, the coral elves conjured up some magic of their own! The elves summoned a scaley ally of their own in the form of a blue dragonkin. (A piss-poor magic roll, gave me 4 magic points. I would have used breath of life, but my dead were buried, and thus the choice.)

The ettercaps, not phazed by the demise of their dragon again attempted to close into missle range, but again were thwarted. (13-12 roll.) Instead, they tapped into magic forces once again, and once again, summoned a red dragon! (I was beginning to think I did the 'caps a favor by killing the first one.) The dragon moved in for the attack, and crunched down with its mighty jaws! A knight, a horseman, and the blue dragonkin were chomped to death. (The kin went belly up, so deserved it!) Little, if any damage was done back to the beast. The dragon poised to strike again, but dropped some treasure! (Promoted a horseman to a knight.) The flash of swords bit down and killed this dragon dead.

The new dragon now dealt with, the elves conjured some magic of their own, creating a mighty wall of ice to protect against more possible dragon attacks. (Thanks to no face rolls, another dissapointing 4. I really wanted that lightning strike. Perhaps I didn't add enough magicians to this army?)

Stay tuned for more...
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dragon strike finally paid off for the ettercaps as they were able to inch closer to the bloodied Verdemari forces. (8-8 maneuver roll, tie going to the acting army, and die turned to 2 missles.)

Slings and stones rained down, killing one horseman. (I was lucky with my saves against 8 damage and a bullseye!) The elves could not get back into position, so fired some arrows of their own, but not making a killing strike.

More stones rain back down on the elves, striking the enchanter dead, but the gryphon survives a deadly blow. (Ettercaps can't maneuver to 3, but their stones are deadly. Only fortunate save rolls are keeping my gryphon alive as bullseyes are coming up staedily with each roll. Right now, my hopes of winning seem grim. Stuck in missle range with these intangible sharpshooters, and with my magician dead even if I get back to magic, I have to wonder whether to push to get to melee, though I recall those scorching sheilds...)

Coral elves slide out of the range of deadly stones (thank you fly icons!) and fall back to magic. Without their enchanter, they are unable to conjure anything! (Lord, help me.)

Ettercaps gamble, and try to conjure magic of their own, and fail too. (I think my nephew was hoping to summon another dragon to wipe out my bedraggled forces.)

A second attempt by the Verdemari to conjure magic fails! (Dammit!)

Closing back to missle range, the now bloodthirsty ettercaps move in for the kill, this time striking down the gryphon with a deadly stone! Coral elf arrows falls hopelessly short of their targets. Ettercaps move into a better position, but their stones don't do any damage this time.

The Verdemari, now being outmaneuvered easily, are outnumbered and outclassed, and consider surrender, but their leader, the Eagle Knight, presses them onward...

A few exchanges back and forth, quickly wipes out the three remaining knights, leaving the leader all alone. Unable to withstand the overwhelming odds, the valiant knight is slain.

Game. Set. Match.

Winner: Ettercaps! (and their trusty Web Bird sidekicks.)

Stay tuned for analysis...

OR, care to analyze for me?
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowing the dragon to attack upon summoning and again at the beginning of a player's turn? Dragons do NOT attack when summoned, only during the "dragon" phase of a player's turn. Unless you house-rules this, you were beaten partly by taking twice as many dragon attacks as you should have.

Moral of these scenarios: Never get into a missile battle with Scalders. Intangibility is quite powerful. On the other hand, don't be too afraid of melee. True, their shield do some damage, but then again Scalders don't have a lot of saves to begin with. I used a Glower/Trueflyer army in a tournament several years ago, and had a lot of success while we hunkered down shooting at each other, but when my opponent got up the guts to come to my place a run over me, it was a bloody mess.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
Are you allowing the dragon to attack upon summoning and again at the beginning of a player's turn? Dragons do NOT attack when summoned, only during the "dragon" phase of a player's turn. Unless you house-rules this, you were beaten partly by taking twice as many dragon attacks as you should have.

Wow! We have been misplaying this rule all along! We have always allowed a dragon attack upon summoning. It was far more potent a misplay in a mini-game. No wonder I got slaughtered! Shocked

I might have to call for a do-over! Heehee! Laughing
Darth Macho
dragonsteed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
Moral of these scenarios: Never get into a missile battle with Scalders. Intangibility is quite powerful. On the other hand, don't be too afraid of melee. True, their shield do some damage, but then again Scalders don't have a lot of saves to begin with. I used a Glower/Trueflyer army in a tournament several years ago, and had a lot of success while we hunkered down shooting at each other, but when my opponent got up the guts to come to my place a run over me, it was a bloody mess.

I noticed this too. I not too long ago had a Coral Elf cavalry square off against a Scalder cavalry with much different results. As fast as the Dragonne riders were, when they made the mistake of speeding for the eighth face, they were cut down by my Selumari™ swords. They were much easier to kill than these darn ettercaps, which, despite the fact that they come a dime-a-dozen, I have a new found respect for...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: