SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Die Swapping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Die Swapping Reply with quote

So here is an idea I was bouncing around last week with Skawilly and Dave, and I thought I'd kick it out here for some feedback. I plan to test this style this weekend and see how it plays out.

1. Players bring all normal dice (36 health, kin, dragons, etc), PLUS 18 points worth of additional dice as a "sideboard".

2a. Players set up their screen, place armies, and reveal as normal. THEN, after 1 minute of reveal (to inspect your opponent's army, etc), the screen is set back up. Players then swap, point-for-point, dice from their armies with dice from their sideboard. Points in each army (Home, Horde, etc) must not change, but the dice themselves can be changed.

2b. ALTERNATIVE: Instead, players reveal armies before setting up. Once each player inspects their opponent's army, screens are placed, swaps are made, and armies are then divided as normal. (This variation allows players to adjust their army placement based on the opponent's dice, trying to predict where to properly send your troops)

3. Game plays as normal. The sideboard is set aside, not to be used for any purpose after the game has begun.

The idea here is to allow some strategy and planning based on intel. In theory, your "troops" would know what foes they'd be facing, so you'd deploy accordingly.

It allows you to bring a couple of Dispel Magics if you see a lot of mages, or some Smothers if you see individual units that need to be taken out, or even some magic items if needed.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what your intention was, but i know what it would degrade into...

I play a lot of half and half armies (ie magic/melee) on a 1-17-18 setup. so the army across from my makes a huge difference. ie I want my melee against your magic or my magic against your magic.

so what I would end up doing is this...

1 - peon
17 - 8pts of magic/9pts of melee
18 - 9pts of magic/9pts of melee

the sideboard is of course - 9 pts of magic and 9 pts of melee.

after I see your setup (knowing you might change it). I would have the opportunity to make either army my magic and either my melee.

if my 17 happens to be against your 1, then I load it up with magic.
if my 17 is against your 17/18, then I can load it up with melee.

thats just how I would use it. I build my armies to do something and that doesn't involve changing out my SAI's based on you.

now what i might do is swamp my magicians for a different color based on you. some armies I really need red to beat and some I really need blue...
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I saw that possibility. Which is why I added (and prefer) the option to reveal your dice before setting armies, then placing screens, swapping dice, and building your armies.

Then you know what your opponent is playing, but not where. So I can look across and say "Hey, there's a lot of heavy melee out there, maybe I should bring in a few Counter SAIs", or "Hey, look at those magic items, maybe I need some Dwarf Mages to destroy them", or something.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Chill Wind Campaign we tried some reserve swapping. Your "sideboard" was 1/4 army size, could only be 1/2 magic, and you could only swap dice while in reserves. To do that you had to take a "reserve march." I don't remember all the details, but it didn't seem overpowered and was a lot of fun. (And kept you from losing all your mages at once.)
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Die Swapping Reply with quote

Quote:
Your "sideboard" was 1/4 army size, could only be 1/2 magic, and you could only swap dice while in reserves. To do that you had to take a "reserve march."

Now that's a new wrinkle I haven't heard of before. That idea seems to have some merit.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: