SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

terrain action variation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:28 pm GMT    Post subject: terrain action variation Reply with quote

I came up with idea for changing the types of actions you can take. In this variant, you are not limited by the icon showing on the terrain die. Instead, the terrain die shows the action that is optimal.

Magic face: You can cast magic as usual. You can also make a missile attack against an army at an adjacent terrain, but with a 1/2 penalty to your missile results.

Missile face: You can missile attack as usual. You can also take a magic action, but with a 1/2 penalty to your magic results.

Melee face: You can melee attack as usual. You can also take a missile action with a 1/2 penalty to your missile results or a magic action with a 1/4 penalty to your magic results. However, if you take a missile action against an army at the same terrain then the defending army may take a counter-action as well (melee, missile, or magic as described here).

8th face: If you control the 8th, then it works as usual (no penalties to any action). If an opponent controls it, then you can take an action as if it were a melee face.

(engage flame suit...)
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: terrain action variation Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:
I came up with idea for changing the types of actions you can take. In this variant, you are not limited by the icon showing on the terrain die. Instead, the terrain die shows the action that is optimal.

Magic face: You can cast magic as usual. You can also make a missile attack against an army at an adjacent terrain, but with a 1/2 penalty to your missile results.

Missile face: You can missile attack as usual. You can also take a magic action, but with a 1/2 penalty to your magic results.

Melee face: You can melee attack as usual. You can also take a missile action with a 1/2 penalty to your missile results or a magic action with a 1/4 penalty to your magic results. However, if you take a missile action against an army at the same terrain then the defending army may take a counter-action as well (melee, missile, or magic as described here).

8th face: If you control the 8th, then it works as usual (no penalties to any action). If an opponent controls it, then you can take an action as if it were a melee face.

(engage flame suit...)

Love it. Love everything about it.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this halving modifier handle SAI's? If they aren't dealt with, this might get out of control pretty quick.

I'm not a big fan as of yet. It seems to me that it will mostly result in insignificant rolls that don't really contribute to the game. Their only use would be to trigger certain SAI's, like cantrip and regenerate. I think the fact that marching up to an 8th without an opponent will leave you without anything to actually do is a good thing. I think going for the 8th should be a significant tactical decision, rather than just plodding forward at a mucky pace and seeing how far you'll make it (I notice that I find it hard to put it to words, but I hope the general direction comes across).

F
piMaster
rare
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DialFforFunky wrote:
How does this halving modifier handle SAI's? If they aren't dealt with, this might get out of control pretty quick.

It would be applied like any other modifier.
DialFforFunky wrote:
I'm not a big fan as of yet. It seems to me that it will mostly result in insignificant rolls that don't really contribute to the game. Their only use would be to trigger certain SAI's, like cantrip and regenerate.

Yes, that could happen (it happens now (i.e. a melee army making a missile attack just to see if they get a cantrip/regen)). The size of the modifiers could be adjusted. Or instead of dividing use subtraction modifiers. I was also thinking of removing the penalty for missiling an adjacent terrain.
Autpost
common
Stockholder

latvia.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or: ID results do not count. ? => Means 1/3 or 1/4 less results.

I would rather prefer something else:
Instead I would change the rule for minor terrains: You may bring them into play even if you loose a maneuver. (If you win a maneuver you may bring them into play with ID face up, if you loose you have to roll the minor terrain.)
Or: You may start the game with Minors already in play.

Others here have more game experience than I. So how often are Minor Terrains actually brought into play? Sure, you bring them with you because these terrains will not hurt you if you have them in your Summoning Pool, but are they really useful in the way they are now?

I think there is a lot more potential in minor terrains.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use minor terrains all the time, and they are often a crucial part of a strategy.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: terrain action variation Reply with quote

piMaster wrote:

(engage flame suit...)

waay over complicating the game. K.I.S.S. and Elegance is much better. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: