SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Climate Dice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Climate Dice Reply with quote

New idea here not sure if this is the topic to propose it but here goes nothing. Climate dice, which adds weather conditions to a terrain. A six sided die that is rolled at the beginning of the game and its weather has an effect on rolls. For instance a Windy day would subtract results from missles and those who roll fly icons. Or a rain would soften the field of battle subtracting maneuvers and perhaps saves. Just an Idea
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Climate Dice Reply with quote

Denimwizard wrote:
New idea here not sure if this is the topic to propose it but here goes nothing. Climate dice, which adds weather conditions to a terrain. A six sided die that is rolled at the beginning of the game and its weather has an effect on rolls. For instance a Windy day would subtract results from missles and those who roll fly icons. Or a rain would soften the field of battle subtracting maneuvers and perhaps saves. Just an Idea

This is a pretty sweet idea, but it could actually be used on a regular-sized d8 (since we already use small and large d8s) and be applied to specific terrains. Maybe it starts on 1 face and each turn it rotates to the next face, building as it goes? Each die is a specific "type" that peaks at some really bad effect? Blizzard, Flash Flood, Tornado, etc.

Tornado:
1) Sunny - No effects
2) Overcast - Penalty to Missiles
3) Wind - Penalty to Missiles, Fly icons are useless
4) Rain - Penalty to Maneuver
5) Thunder - Penalty to Maneuver and Magic
6) Lightning - Penalty to Magic, Melee
7) Calm Before the Storm - No effects
Cool Tornado - Very bad stuff happens?

Of course this is one of many options you could make, with different numbers of icons. Blizzard might have Cold Snap, Morning Frost, Flash Freeze, etc?

This is a really cool idea!
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was even thinking a bit more indepth . Like the terrains certain climates have different chances for some type of weather. Make a Tropiucal climate where it rains more. Or a climate where it snows , and has high winds. Just some ideas.

Stormy i like your idea alot too.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denimwizard wrote:
I was even thinking a bit more indepth . Like the terrains certain climates have different chances for some type of weather. Make a Tropiucal climate where it rains more. Or a climate where it snows , and has high winds. Just some ideas.

Stormy i like your idea alot too.

They could be tied to terrain type. A Highlands (mountains) "Blizzard" die could be more Ice/Cold Snap/Snow faces, where a Coastland "Blizzard" might have "Sunny" on the first 3 faces or something.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be easier. Smile
Perhaps make black lands for once, Blue and black could Icelands or tundra.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I really like this idea. I've been thinking about how to use those "normal" size d8s, and I think this is a really fun idea.
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

this idea could even be used for quest...
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've designed a space version of dragondice using planets and a 'sun'. my sun die was the same concept as your climate die. something that affected all parts of the game.

now I have to ask... if you were going to buy a climate die, what would you be willing to pay? I have to assume it would be a single die, either d8,d10 or d20... Making a single promotional die like this would unfortunately have high production costs.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've designed a space version of dragondice using planets and a 'sun'. my sun die was the same concept as your climate die. something that affected all parts of the game.

now I have to ask... if you were going to buy a climate die, what would you be willing to pay? I have to assume it would be a single die, either d8,d10 or d20... Making a single promotional die like this would unfortunately have high production costs.

I'm in for the space dragons and planets...
I've created a climate dice concept of my own.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff if its the size of the Dragon Dice™ d8 d10 or d12 and depending on how manytypes could be produced id say 5-10 bucks a die. But i am not sure the cost of production. Its obvious a knew mold would have to be made for this.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been stated a number of places here already. A mold costs about $3000. So if you want to sell the dice for $10 apiece, you got to sell 300 just to pay the mold cost. And we can't make just 300 of anything. Generally we have to make about 5,000 of something.

There are some ways to make dice without molds, but it makes for more expensive production costs. Which for a low-run one-time run, may be fine. Figure you would have to sell those dice for about $15 to break even. At that price, I'm not sure anyone would want to buy them.

Sorry guys, the reality of production sometimes says that a "neat idea" just can't be made and make any money off it.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

Sorry guys, the reality of production sometimes says that a "neat idea" just can't be made and make any money off it.

which is why i asked what people would be willing to pay. You just jumped to the end of the conversation I was leading too. Smile
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of variables to consider still, before dismissing it. How many fit on a mold? How many variations do you want to make? Different colors depending on terrain? Is it one per game, or one per terrain? Selling dice individually, as sets, or in kickers like minor terrains?
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

paper dice:
although not as fun...
the entire project could be released as paper dice...
here is a link to a site where the person actually makes planet dice out of paper.
Stickers can be used as well,
although the idea of stickers is usually prototype.

http://www.dicecollector.com/DICEINFO_DICE_BUILT_OR_DESIGNED_BY_ME.html

http://www.dicecollector.com/PAPER_D08_MY_DESIGN_MOON_PHASES_03.jpg

I made these...it's a large dragon...
when you fold it.

I already have designs in mind for the space drŕgons. Razz
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty cool i didn't realise some one designed a d60 and a d120.

I could see using some graphic program to make these paper die. dont have to sell them just use them for personal use haha.
SpazzyP
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the climate dice idea... Instead of a new die, a d6 d8 or d10 could be used to track the turns of a disaster spell. Each spell could only be cast on a terrain of a matching color. Gold would be an earthquake, Red a volcano, blue a storm or blizzard or high winds of sort, green a flood, and black, um, maybe a plague or all DUA's slowly forming an army at the terrain. The d8 would be there to track how bad it had gotten. You would have to have some way to dispel it where it wouldn't be super easy where casting a disaster would be pointless, but not to difficult where your only hope would be a super lucky roll or just to abandon the terrain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: