SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spell and Info "Cards" that I created to help me :

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Spell and Info "Cards" that I created to help me : Reply with quote

I did this when I played Warhammer Fantasy / 40k as well. I would take all of the unit information for everything I was playing and painstakingly shove it into a document that was sized so that I could print it, cut it out and put it on an index card. Then I could just put the index cards next to me while I played to remind me of saves, special abilities, etc.

I currently have finished my feral spell cards and am working on coral elves.

What the page looks like when I print it. This is a document that I put a table into, and sized the table to the size of a 3x5 index card, which is what those lines are the boundaries of.

What the cards look like at a glance. I cut them out and take clear packing tape and simply tape them to the cards. I suppose you could paste them on there as well but I like the added benefit that the tape gives = durability. Oh and the "**R" in front of those spells on the one card is reminding me that those can be cast from reserves. You'd think I'd remember these things without hints but no, I don't. Very Happy

Close up of one of the cards. To fit everything on one card (especially the second card which I call the "defensive/utility" list), I have to shrink the font down to around 7 point, Times New Roman. Then, I color coded it because pretty colors are nice and obviously the blue = air and yellow/gold = earth so I know what color magic they all are. I put the spell text in green because the Feral colors together = green. Wink

Basically, the steps to do this yourself are:
1) Open up a text document in LibreOffice (any word processor type that gives you the ability to basically put a table into the document. Spreadsheets might work as well, but they're not as easy to edit the text for, so I don't use it)
2) Create a table in your document that is two rows and a single column.
3) Use the "ruler" at the top and side of your document to move your row/column boundaries so that they are just shy of 3 inches tall and just shy of 5 inches side to side.
4) Put text in table sections. Often, if you're using something like Libre Office does, it will resize your table section if your text is too large. I generally have to fiddle with the font size to make it fit the information I want. If you have good eyes, 7 point font works just fine - however, you may need it larger depending on your own vision. Which means you may need to split up your information differently depending on how much you can fit in the box.
5) Print when done, and you should have two "boxes" per sheet. I only put two "boxes" per sheet due to the fact that I did NOT change the margins of my page. If you want to rid yourself of all of the margins, you should be able to get away with three "boxes" (Paper is 8x11, index cards are 3x5...)
6) Cut out boxes and use clear packing tape (or glue) to stick to index card for reference. Very Happy

So if anyone likes this idea and wants to use it, feel free. Very Happy If you want the actual document that I used to do this - I'm happy to email it or host it somehow somewhere for download. I use LibreOffice Writer, which can be downloaded here: http://www.libreoffice.org/ for free. I use that particular one due to the fact that I'm sometimes at a Windows computer and then other times I'm at a Linux computer, and it works just fine on both. Smile

Last edited by CalicoCorsair on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 pm GMT; edited 3 times in total
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Coral Elf Spells Reply with quote

Apparently, they have a lot of what I'd call Offensive spells Wink

I haven't listed the dragonkin summoning or dragon summoning on any of these cards because I'm going to make a separate "card" that will have dragon stuff on it for me to remember. In case anyone is wondering ^^
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:57 pm GMT    Post subject: More Cards! Reply with quote

I decided to create some other ones too, especially since we might have another new player joining our group, so it may help him too, to learn (and us to not forget to tell him things! lol)

Setup and turn sequence for reminders

Eighth face information

Dragon Summoning and Info

Dragon Breath Info (yes, I like putting things in colors! Smile )

Dragon Attack Sequence

Like I mentioned before, these are things that I do when I have games like this that have a LOT of things to remember. Flipping through the book constantly is a pain at least imho. Very Happy I usually have the .pdf up on my netbook when I play too, but that gets a bit much when we have multiple people at the table and food and drinks.

If it's something that helps other people, you do not need my permission to do something like this. It's actually very easy to do (and by the time you've read through the rules and typed it all out you have just helped yourself remember it anyhow ... Wink )
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know about the play mats right? That Ms. Tiffany made?
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do! I have seen them, it's just not the style that I was going for, though they are really nice. Smile Usually I'm trying to conserve space on the table, and having a small stack of index cards that I can quickly shuffle through is easier for me.
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool Smile glad you enjoy your Coral Elves.
CalicoCorsair
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Corals and of course now, Ferals. I'm actually tempted to say that Ferals I've been having a bit more fun playing at the moment - with the Feralization and whatall, and I enjoy the gold magic. Very Happy But I'll never not have Coral Elves, I'm looking forward to getting the new monster when it comes out. ^^

I just finished two more sets of cards for the Ferals and Coral Elf SAI's and racial ability. Because why the heck not. Wink LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: