SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other collectable dice games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Other collectable dice games Reply with quote

Hey all, would like to propose that there be threads for the other collectible dice games out there (most of them currently OOP). In hopes that enough interest is expressed to possibly warrant SFR expanding their empire of CDG's eventually. Personally , I think it would be cool if one company cornered the market (or teamed up to) on all the following: Dragon Diceā„¢..the grandaddy of them all, Dicemaster...the most elegant of them all, Star trek Next Generation..the most underated of them all, Demon Dice/Chaos Progenitus...the most insidious of them all,Iron die..the most expensive of them all, and Cookie Fu.. the most recent and of them all. I'm sure I missed a couple...Harry Potter and that other fantasy based one that only Chuck collects, but they don't matter anyway, at least in my admittedly partisan mind. Razz
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvel Super Dice-the ugliest of them all (although Star Trek is a close second)
Throwing Stones-the most RPG of them all
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Drachenwurfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the two Star Treck starters, cause the boosters were Never on sale here, but it was a good game wich gives a Good Star Treck feeling.
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddicerc wrote:
Marvel Super Dice-the ugliest of them all (although Star Trek is a close second)
Throwing Stones-the most RPG of them all

Yeah , forgot about MSD, actually a pretty good concept and it would be great for SFR to pick it up...Wink.
Throwing stones is a different story as it's a totally different print style and play style. Razz
Hal 9001
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there only 2 starters for the star trek cdg. And only one starter for the marvel super dice?
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember there were 4 starters for STCDG plus some expansions. I have it in the basement, so I could provide details if I felt like going down several flights of stairs (which after a long day at work, I don't. Maybe later)
Also, there was Dicemaster (an adventure type CDG. The dice were beautiful, but replay was limited.

Also, Chaos Progenitus - which is still available on Chuck Pint's page and eBay. A good bar type game, fast and doesn't require too much thought.

Later,
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thudthwacker
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say "Quarriors", but I don't think that's actually collectable, though it does appear to use strategic force-building (I say "seems to" because I haven't ever played; I approached the guy doing demos of it at DEXCON, but he didn't seem overly enthusiastic about telling me about it. He also wanted to sell it to me for full list price, whereas I can get it *anywhere* online for at least 20% less. These are among the reasons that Quarriors went on my Amazon wishlist, but I made damned sure I left DEXCON with a Dragon Diceā„¢ starter set, which was being demo'd by people who love it and was being sold at a moderate discount).

Also: Diceland? The sets aren't random, but you can collect different sets and build some pretty weird armies if you take it into your head to ("Okay, I've got three dragons, a few robots, and an OGRE -- come get me!").
Denimwizard
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been seeing many dice games popping up in Barnes and Nobles. Cthulu Dice, Zombie Dice. Hell Settlers of Catan has a Dice version now.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The startrek game did have more starters, expansion etc. but most people never saw them.

Its not uncommon for games like settlers to have both card and dice versions. I've seen that a lot over the years.

things like LeBomb and Martian Dice and Zombie Dice and Chthulu Dice are just brainless. Good games to place once you are already wasted.

and quarriors has dice in it, but I don't qualify it as a dice game. not like these others.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denimwizard wrote:
I have been seeing many dice games popping up in Barnes and Nobles. Cthulu Dice, Zombie Dice. Hell Settlers of Catan has a Dice version now.
That is because of just two companies trying to break into mass marketing. You may eventually see them at walmart and target too.

they might succeed, they might not.

back in the day I think the dragondice battlebox tried the same thing, but it failed.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fill this in some day when I have the time (read: not soon). It's quite possible that I have the largest collection of collectible dice games around. You can see all of those on my webpages, some are merely lists of dice, some go into more detail. But here's a note from one of my FAQs:
Quote:
Q: Do you know of any dice games almost as good as Dragon Diceā„¢?
A: I like Chaos Progenitus. I've also started collecting Chaos Progenitus. See the link on the bottom. Chaos Progenitus is a quick play game. It's also quite simple. I've tried Dicemaster, Marvel Super Dice, and Star Trek Dice games. Dicemaster is one of those games that has tons of rules that you have to learn before you can even setup the game. It's fun to play, but not a quick game. Marvel Super Dice looks simple, but since there are so many character dice, you have to keep the reference chart handy to know what the special power is for the face side of the die. It is a another quick play game otherwise. I've yet to figure out how to play Star Trek Dice. I picked up a box of Pracoro (Pokemon dice). Since it's all in Japanese, I'm having a hard time figuring it out. Dragon Diceā„¢, Chaos Progenitus, and Dicemaster are the only dice games that only require the dice and the rules. No playing boards, cards or other accessories are required. Marvel Super Dice requires a playing board. Star Trek Dice requires a status panel (playing board). Pracoro requires counters, cards, and other little pieces of plastic (I don't know what they all are for).

As you might able to tell, this is rather out-dated at this point. I've also got to add: Harry Potter's Dicers, Throwing Stones, and Cookie Fu (which I don't even have on my main index, oops). I've picked up a Iron Dice starter, but haven't really looked into it. Cthulu Dice, Zombie Dice, and Settlers of Catan (the dice game) are not collectible dice games. Those three are closer to Yahtzee than Dragon Diceā„¢.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Those three are closer to Yahtzee than Dragon Diceā„¢™.
I would say closer to farkle, but same point.
Hal 9001
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
and quarriors has dice in it, but I don't qualify it as a dice game. not like these others.

What kind of game do you see it as?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a collectible game, but I'm probably gonna buy Chupacabra: Survive the Night.

Its a nice 'one die' game which is actually fairly close in design to something I've had in to 'todo' pile for several years, but I never finished it and the Chupacabra is a much better 'theme' than what I was proposing.

oh, the pain at unfinished products that you find on the shelf while you are still working on the details. *snif*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Totally off-topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: