SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GAMEX 2013 in Los Angeles: *just added* Dragon Diceā„¢ Tourney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quickbeam
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 pm GMT    Post subject: GAMEX 2013 in Los Angeles: *just added* Dragon Diceā„¢ Tourney Reply with quote

VERY last-minute notice --- but here we go! Very Happy

Yes we are attending Strategicon this Saturday 5/25!

Join us at GAMEX 2013 (the name for Memorial Day Weekend's Strategicon) for a hitherto unannounced Dragon Diceā„¢ TOURNAMENT! The event is held at the Sheraton Gateway Hotel at 6101 Century Blvd., Los Angeles, 90045 adjacent to LAX....

We will be running friendly demos in the morning so you can learn what you don't know followed by *one* Saturday tournament (with a *very nice* Convention-only collectable die courtesy of publisher SFR, Inc.)!

SATURDAY 5/25
Noon - 4pm
Build-Your-Own Army 36 Pts. Ancient Dragons Variant

Game demos 1 hour before event! Players may bring any pre-constructed army of 36 health, 50% magic limit, standard tournament rules, except using the 'Ancient Dragons' option where the chaotic beasts attempt magic before they attack! Full details of this Rule Variant are in the old-school TSR DICE COMMANDER'S MANUAL, Page 154:

"When using this optional rule, dragons become far more powerful. At the start of each dragon attack phase, the player who summoned the dragon rolls it, counting any damage that it would normally generate as points of magic (a jaws result would generate 12 points of magic of the same color(s) as the dragon; a claw generates 6 points of magic; a tail generates 3 points of magic and is rerolled, a wing generates 5 points of magic BUT the creature does not fly away). These magic points are immediately spent on spells of the appropriate color. Dragons cast protective spells only on themselves, and they cast offensive spells only at the active player currently suffering this dragon attack phase. Spells are decided upon by the dragon summoner. Dragons can spend magic points on the following spells:

GOLD: Stoneskin, Dust to Dust, & Transmute Rock to Mud
BLUE: Hailstorm & Lightning Strike
RED: Ash Storm, Burning Hands, & Dancing Lights
GREEN: Watery Double, Wall of Ice, & Wall of Fog
BLACK: Ashes to Ashes, Palsy, & Finger of Death

Dragons cannot double magic. The spell points are always spent (if possible). If the dragon's summoner is active player currently the subject of the dragon's attack, the spell points are spent by the opponent to his/her left. After the magic results are decided, the dragon then attacks normally."

Winner's Prize: DragonCrusader or DragonSlayer: a 4-health champion with special powers.
THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE

Strategicon's full schedule can be found on www.strategicon.net Very Happy

ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS - Please visit the Southern California Dragon Diceā„¢ Bone Roller's Group Page on Facebook ----- click "Like" and join us as we roll to victory!!!!!

www.facebook.com/SoCalDragonDice

Mr. Green Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy

"Quickbeam" from TheOneRing.net
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Quickbeam
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Tourney results from GAMEX 2013 in L.A. Reply with quote

Greetings -

We had a very good showing at GAMEX 2013 over Memorial Day weekend, held at the Sheraton L.A.X.

The place was filled to the rafters with enthusiastic gamers who wanted to get more details on Dragon Diceā„¢! Assisted by the able Shiloe, and with constant support from the Con staff, we prepared a REALLY BIG display table that was covered with dragon-scale fabrics and full dice trays overflowing with colors. People were fascinated and stopped by continually to see what was happening.

Check out photos at our Facebook group page here:

We could only attend one day (Saturday) and so held a unique 5-person BYO Army tournament using the "Ancient Dragons" rule variant. The players did not wish to be broken down into 2-player short timed matches. So I joined them and helped guide things along.

ARMIES IN THE TOURNAMENT:
Clifford: Coral Elves & Scalders
Shiloe: Lava Elves
Sean: Swamp Stalkers
Brandon: Lava Elves
Diane: Treefolk

Players in a 5-person match are always hard-pressed to do something REALLY effective during their turn while waiting through the successive 4 other players' turns before they get another chance to act. This dynamic made Ancient Dragons all the more impressive. Players were willing to summon many more dragons as they had stronger and longer-lasting effects throughout the round.

The dragons were given, according to this rule variant, the chance to hit you with spells before they attack. BELIEVE ME, a blue drake that can "Lightning Strike" your best rare unit before he breathes on you is absolutely devastating and changed the outcome of the game!

Many "Ashes to Ashes" and "Dust to Dust" spells were cast as players were thinking to tip the tie-breaking health count at the end of a timed game. As it turned out we played the entire game to completion in 3 hours, 10 minutes.

Initial terrains rolled very low numbers except for a Highland 6 and the Treefolk player's Swampland at 4. We knew immediately where the focus would be.

I played very aggressively and kept pushing higher terrains up, as opposed to sitting back on a 1 and throwing incessant magic. Several players were clobbered by my two Scalder Charkins who rolled COUNTER at crucial times, punishing them with 8 hits back (combining the SAI of Counter and the racial ability of Scorching Touch), and they went into reserves to lick their wounds. The Swamp Stalker player did not always get the Mutation he wanted, though.

Dragon breaths were numerous. The two Lava Elf players and the Swampy player were beaten down but spent a few turns reanimating dead to get their numbers back.

The critical issue for the Swamp Stalker player was his refusal to use "Mire" or "Flash Flood" or any other type of terrain manipulation spells. Had he done so, the game would not have completed within the 4-hour limit and the winners would have stacked differently.

LYNCHPIN MOMENT OF LOSS:
Brandon had his Lava Elves sitting pretty on an 8th Highland, yet my blue/green hybrid dragon actually breathed on him, forcing him to be in a position of "only rolling for saves until the beginning of his next turn," as you all know. My Coral Elf magicians, on their swampland 8th, cranked enough green magic to "Flash Flood" the Highland down to its 7th face, Brandon certainly could not roll any maneuvers to stop it -- and then I reinforced to be right there for the endgame. Even though they sent black dragons on my 8th, at my next turn I survived the Dragon Attack phase with ONLY ONE UNIT left protecting the Swamp 8th, and took my 2nd march with a measly couple of units left and luckily made a successful maneuver attempt at the Highland -- rolling raw results without any "Wind Walk." If Dwarves had been in play it would not have worked.

All players had succeeded in bringing back their dead, except me, and I barely scraped that second 8th face by the skin of my teeth. If it had been a timed game without my getting another 8th, I would have certainly had the least amount of health living on the field.

I gave my tournament prize to the 2nd place winner as a gift. He played quite well with a random assortment of Swamp Stalkers he had just drafted out of our "extra dice box."

Overall we had high spirits and a great deal of simplicity considering we were in a huge 5-player match with multiple dice modifiers everywhere. We used appropriate markers and made sure to follow the timing and execution of game effects to the letter. Unit-based effects resolved before Army-based effects, and whatnot.

Everyone was IMPRESSED with the Ancient Dragons rule. It really does make a 7-point investment of your magic more worthwhile, as a simple single dragon suddenly can protect itself with saves or zap you with Palsies right before clawing you --- it makes the chaotic beasts more efficacious. Period. They need that most times.

Rolling Eyes

Thanks for reading!

CHEERS,
CLIFFORD

---- FOR ALL YOU PLAYERS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ----
We met many of you for the 1st time at Gamex, and helped clarify rules, and showed you our love for this game. Please come and join us for our regular weekly games!

We gather every Thursday evening from 5pm - 10pm in Burbank at the EMERALD KNIGHTS COMICS & GAMES store: 4116 W. Burbank Blvd. Burbank, CA 91505 Store number: (818) 588-3631
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS - Please visit the Southern California Dragon Diceā„¢ Bone Roller's Group Page on Facebook ----- click "Like" and join us as we roll to victory!!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to show up to the game store you meet at weekly, but unfortunately don't think it'll be likely I'll be able to attend. Thursdays I'm committed to a bible study at home, and my wife also doesn't like me driving up there just to play Dragon Diceā„¢.

In just over a month, though, I'll be working in Buena Park. Not too far away, so if people are flexible with location and times, I bet we could plan something in addition to the weekly meetup. Wink
Quickbeam
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we can definitely be flexible (somewhat) with locations and times. That would be fun to meetup and roll some bones Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: