SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Dragon Dice™ an endangered species?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelotron

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:27 am GMT    Post subject: Are Dragon Dice™ an endangered species? Reply with quote

Hi folks. Recently I have been nostalgic for the tabletop games I played in he late 90s, one of which was Dragon Dice™. I've been looking for a place to buy some starter sets online but it seems like Dragon Dice™ are no longer produced. Is that correct? I have only been able to find Undead/Feral and Amazon/Swamp Stalker sets. I was hoping to go the more traditional route of Dwarves/Goblins to make the game more familiar to new players that I hope to recruit.

Is it possible to find starter sets of other races anywhere, or are the above mentioned sets the only stock that exists now?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Are Dragon Dice™™ an endangered species? Reply with quote

pelotron wrote:
it seems like Dragon Dice™™ are no longer produced. Is that correct?

Definitely not!

I can say that because I just got a massive bill for all the new dice that are being produced this year. If we are no longer being produced, then I just sent a check for nothing.

Several years ago we changed the format of the starter into the two-race format you referred to.

We are at the end of a multi-year process to change the starter format again. This is just normal evolution of any game and a direct response of feedback from game store owners and players. 1) Having multiple starters confused them and 2)Being restricted to starters was... restrictive.

So while we did have four different starters, we've already converted two of those into kickers. So if you want Goblins, there is a goblin kicker. If you want Dwarves, there is a dwarf kicker. etc...

I would expect those two remaining starters to be converted to kickers over this year and the next and a single NEW starter will be put into place.

I know that it isn't super exciting to just reformat existing dice into different packages, but this is what is required to keep the product line alive and the foundation that allow us to build up with some brand new races!

So, you are correct. There are only two starters available right now. (Soon to be just one). But every race is available, just in a different format.

if you remember Dragon Dice™, you should look into Daemon Dice™. This is a re-imaging of another game from the 90's and we are just starting to gain steam on it.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff left out the most important point to you. Take a look at our store: http://www.sfr-inc.com/cart/index.php and you can see for yourself all the products we offer. And more importantly, all the stuff you can buy directly from us!
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).

Last edited by chuckpint on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:00 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
pelotron

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply!

Daemon Dice™ does look interesting as well and I may have to get into that game too...

Good to hear that Dragon Dice™ is alive and well. If I buy a kicker pack for a race does it include the other starter features like terrain and dragons?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Cliff left out the most important point to you.
I always do! Thats what we need you for Laughing
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelotron wrote:
If I buy a kicker pack for a race does it include the other starter features like terrain and dragons?

No, a 'kicker' just contains that race.

A 'starter' is two races plus basic terrains and basic dragons. (randomized)

So right now you must get a starter for those specific dice. We are discussion the future of this, but it'll stay this way for a while yet.

However, you can get non-basic terrains in the battlefield expansion and non-basic dragons in a hybrid pack. So it is possible to play without a 'starter' if you get these two expansions plus two kickers.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the basic elemental dragons also come in the dragon packs? The only basic dice not available as of now outside of a starter are the starter terrains.

Also, you should know if you haven't played since the 90's that the rules have been extensively revised. You can get the rulebook as a free PDF download on the SFR, Inc. website (http://www.sfr-inc.com/StarterRules.pdf).
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dragon packs contain 6 dragons all sharing one color. For a Red Drake package you would get 6 Drakes:
Red
Red/Black
Red/Blue
Red/Gold
Red/Green
Red/Ivory

So the only thing you can not get in kickers or expansions are the 4 starter terrains. Those are only in the starters. Of course, at the moment, you can't get the races that are in the starters anyplace other than the starters. When we introduce the newest starter, we will change that.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: