SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a dream for an app for the 20th Anniversary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm GMT    Post subject: I have a dream for an app for the 20th Anniversary. Reply with quote

I have a vision for a Dragon Diceā„¢ app that I feel would help all players and stream line the time it takes to look up any information in the 79 page manual. I feel it would be worth a consideration to run a kickstarter for it and have the app available in time for the 20th anniversary next year.

Am I free to discuss it here? Or would the council prefer it discussed in a less open forum?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with it discussed here. If and/or when you want to go and do a Kickstarter, we may need a more private conversation. I suspect that may be a few months from now. If it so happens you make it to GenCon, look up Cliff and I at the booth.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, please watch this video, no need to turn up your speakers, I'm not talking in it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54274686/ddiceAppvid.mp4

My goal for an app would be that the interface would be simple, finger friendly, and have all the pertinent information at a players finger tips. The manual is 79 pages and alot of time is spent flipping pages to get to the needed info. New players I've played with get a little frustrated because they aren't sure what they are needing to look up.

In the video I show the first launch screen. I thought of naming it Paige of pages, as its an attempt to decrease the amount of pages to flip through. But Dragon Diceā„¢ Assistant pretty much says what it is.

The next page (which is truly ugly but just needed something functional to start) is where you check mark each of the races that make up your Army. In my example in indicated an army of Dwarves and Frostwings.

After hitting "Accept" you get to the heart of the Interface. By default you are listed with a Castable Spells list which is filtered by what races you said your army is made of. These then would be all YOUR spells you are capable of casting during a magic action. (a small toggle button for it to grey out all but the spells for reserves could be add too). The spell list would be scrollable.

Next the button to remind you what your racial abilities are is the first button on the right. Press it and it overlays the information for you. The size of the list would grow depending on the number of races you've included. Then you can press again to toggle it off.

Next button is Racial icons, a full list of the icon reference for each of your races used. I've witnessed many new players who decide to play a new race but they can't remember which icon is for what, like swampstalker's saves versus their magic icons. In my example I'm pointing out as if I didn't know what the bullseye SAI was. I look it up on the list, now that I know what the SAI is called, I hit the fourth button, SAI ICONS, then read the full description of Bullseye.

The third button, All Spells, is included so that you can double check a spell description when another player is using other races and your not sure they are playing accurately.

The last 5th button is the full manual, though I think perhaps it should be "the rest" of the manual minus the SAI list, Spell list, and icon reference.

Did I mention the whole app should be Pinch zoomable? This would help it still be readable on smaller devices.

Now if this app fully functioned this way alone I would find it VERY VERY useful. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!!!

I'd like the castable spell list to not just be a flat list but interactable. After rolling for magic and counting up your points you can start clicking the spells in the list, in the order you will be casting them. my example, I press Palsy and it puts a circle with a 1, next I'll cast magic drain and it puts a circle with a 2. You will quickly see your list of planned spells and in what order you plan to cast them. Now look below the right side buttons. As you pick the spells it will dynamically list out the required spells points, separating Racial requirements from basic requirements. casting a spell multiple times, if the spell is allowed multiple castings, will place additional circles with numbers on that spell. If the spell can only be cast once per magic action, it will ignore you if you try to press it again. Finally the Button with the C on it is to clear your spell choices.

Think if you get fully funded with kickstarter the app gets made. Charge around 3 bucks for all current races, backers get for free. As a stretch goal of some undermined amount you create the app and make it free for all. When new races come out charge 99 cents to expand the app info.

I feel its important that the app NOT require internet connectivity to access once its installed, only for updates.

I would love this app to exist and use it during game play. I currently break up the printed out manual into 4 different sections to spread out around the game table so different players can be looking up different kinds of info at the same time, but there is plenty of time two or more want to see the SAI list at the same time.

OK, this is my vision, let the comments fly!!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick problem: when you click on the video link, it says the file is corrupt.

I'd add one thing to the main list: SAI look-up. Especially if you are playing an all monster battle, there are a ton of SAIs. I end up looking them up all the time.

Also, think about allowing the user to put in the spell points they rolled. There would be two entries per race: magic icons total, and IDs total. You would also need to be able to select the terrain. Then you could show a running count of the spell points left as they pick spells. I find that for most people they have a couple of spells they know they want to cast before they roll. That goes fast. Then they spend a lot of time to figure out how to cast the maximum amount of spells with what they have left. That goes really slow. Having the points left displayed would help speed that up a lot.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, Chuck, it plays inside my browser with no errors. try right clicking and save to pull the file down to your computer. Its an MP4 file so should be compatible with most players (though I always use VLC to play all my media)

Are you on a Mac by chance?
anyone else confirm they are having problems with the video?

I did think about having the spells points fully tracked but thought in the long run this might slow things down more if the players felt dependent on, or obligated to plug in their numbers every time.

SAI Icons: Its the fourth button on the interface.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to play within Firefox. Works fine when I download it. Most likely it's a dropbox problem, I've got a weird dropbox setup.

After seeing the video, I see one other problem, it needs to report not only the racial, but the color of racial (so you can deal with doubling).
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not apparent in the video because both spells were black spells, but the font color will match the color of the spell. which means the background will also probably need to be a light neutral color (maybe a light tan or brown?) to keep good contrast and readability of the list. So example, if I had picked "fields of Ice" then under racial it would have said Frostwings: 5 but this would have been in blue. I think color coding it would be the simplest way to indicate that.

Tracking the total spell points and having it tell you how much you have left gets a bit complex when your running with things like the Bronze medallion, or when a terrain has create mountain or other similar effect. Perhaps reserve that for a stretch goal as it will require a substantial amount of coding?

Last edited by BBrauser on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:01 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there would be two lines under Racial if, for example, you had picked a Frostwing black spell, and a Frostwing blue spell? If you are not at a Standing Stones, then it becomes important to know which race as well. For example, Feral could double blue at a Coastland City, but Frostwings could not. So it would need to list the Feral blue separate from the Frostwing blue.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck is doing a good job of getting into the details, so I'll leave him to that.

I watched the video and you have a nice prototype already. I'm sure a lot of it is static, but it is well thought out.

What are the costs that you would envision needing a KickStarter to fund?
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. Under basic it will only ever show 6 lines at max. a total for Black, Red, Gold, Blue, Green, and Elemental for tracking dragon and dragonkin summoning.

Under Racial it will show seperate lines for each color of that race then the totals. This too would most likely be a short list as you may have it say "frostwings: 18" in black and "frostwings: 5" in blue. And maybe a third line for one Dwarven spell. less if you only cast frostwing spells that round, and nothing in the racial section if you only cast basic spells that action.

a two race army would have at max 4 lines in the racial section. +2 for every additional race. Though an army could be built with many different races you decreasing your likelihood of generating enough unique magic points to cast several racial spells. Players looking to win won't tend toward a overly diverse army, I see natural balancing occurring here.

Standing Stones posses a small challenge. I have a few ideas of how to handle and still try to keep ht app streamlined and easy to understand.
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,
It would be giving too much credit to call this a prototype. It is only in a concept stage now, a glorified story board using the free app POP - PROTOTYPING ON PAPER. There is no coding involved yet. This lets us create how an app should look and gives a target for when a coder does wright the program.

Costs: cost of the developer kits for apple and android. Costs of the time for the coder to actually create the app, coding and debugging. Hosting fees. Depending on how the app will gets its updates, fund part of your website fees for hosting a database for the app to call back to. Need to discuss other future costs that may be needed as Dragon Diceā„¢ grows and the app will need to be changed with it.

Kickstart though is so much more than just a tool for funding. It will provide you with awareness of interest and free advertising while active. You will gain a better understanding of your market size.

If a guy can raise 40K to make potato salad, we certainly can raise the capital to make a very good, helpful, lasting app that players want and that will draw more players to the game, thereby selling more dice.

I would not be the coder for this, I do however have a direct working relationship with a coder who would put together how much it would cost for his services and an estimate on how soon he would have a finished product ready to go to the app stores.

I would want SFR to discuss with me first all requirements and expectations before I approach him about the project. He is a Dragon Diceā„¢ fan. He wouldn't be someone who needs to be taught the mechanics of the game.

I guess I'm the idea guy with a vision, a few resources and a drive to see it become a reality.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBrauser wrote:
You will gain a better understanding of your market size
I guess I'm the idea guy with a vision, a few resources and a drive to see it become a reality.

I can not tell you how much I love the idea of a visionary, especially a realistic one. A breath of fresh air is always nice.

So it is fair to tell you that I'm the pessimistic cynic who looks for all the flaws in order to strengthen and harden a concept. "Cheap,Fast,Correct - Pick Two"

I also do professional development and software architecture and project management as part of my secret identity when I'm not a game designer. I just try hard to keep my hobbies and my career separate (I won't tell you which is which Wink)

I agree with some of your costs and disagree with others. We can discuss later in the private conversation that Chuck alluded too. I will also be up-front that as the Treasurer, I always get more than one 'quote' for anything.

BTW - SFR is preparing an experiment with Kickstarter in just a few weeks. We will be announcing that soon so should know how effective it will be in our niche.

But again. I love the idea, even as I poke at it with a stick.
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about this, if I could be granted use of the icons from the manual (would be great if you would provide them in vector format), we could have a presentable demo that you could show in your booth at Gen Con this year to drive interest. If you started the kickstarter one week before Gen Con it would still be going after Gen Con ends and may drive people to the kickstarter site if they can see a product that is actively being worked on.

Not asking you for any funding for this, just access to any electronic content you would be comfortable with.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's move this private...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: