SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new player, an old collection, and a first post.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arctorus
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:36 pm GMT    Post subject: A new player, an old collection, and a first post. Reply with quote

First, I'll state that I obtained all the Dragon Dice™ I own at a bookstore, long ago, probably 1996/1997 or thereabouts. It was a big box retail style store, and on an end cap I found the following in a clearance bin:

Dragon Dice™ Starter Packs (x3)
Monsters & Amazons Kicker Pack #1 (x1)
Fire Walkers Kicker Pack #2 (x1)
Swamp Stalkers Kicker Pack #5 (x1)

These had all dramatically been cut down in price - the kickers were like $3 each, and the starters a mere $6. I bought them all. My girlfriend and I never really got to play them, and time marched on. Only a few days ago, in May, 2014, did I rediscover this collection. It seems none of the original boxes remain. I do recall, at the time, one of the boxes was kind of mangled and crushed. But everything else is in mint condition, including all documentation, and the nice TSR dice bags from the 3 starter sets (two red with gold drawstrings, one black with red drawstrings).

Anyway, obviously, I am filled with questions, but most of them relate to how to assemble an army. I have yet to play this game, but I am deeply fascinated by it. I'm digesting the rules and watching videos on how to play, but I figured I'd appeal to the experienced players and show you the Dragon Dice™ I obtained on that fateful day back in the mid-1990s. If you had this collection of 78 dice, what army would you pull together to send into the field?

Goblins (Common):
    Mugger x 4
    Thug x 2
    Wardog Rider x 1
    Pelter x 3
    Trickster x 2

Goblins (Uncommon):
    Ambusher x 2
    Slingman x 1
    Wolf Rider x 1

Swamp Stalker (Common):
    Bog Runner x 4

Swamp Stalker (Uncommon):
    Raider x 1
    Ravager x 1

Swamp Stalker (Rare):
    Swamp Wizard x 1

Swamp Stalker (Monster):
    Swamp Beast x 1

Coral Elf (Common):
    Horseman x 1
    Guard x 1

Coral Elf (Uncommon):
    Trooper x 1
    Courier x 3

Coral Elf (Rare):
    Sharpshooter x 1
    Eagle Knight x 1
    Herald x 1

Coral Elf (Monster):
    Tako x 1

Dwarf (Common):
    Theurgist x 1
    Sentry x 1
    Crossbowman x 2
    Pony Rider x 1

Dwarf (Uncommon):
    Patroller x 1
    Lizard Rider x 1

Dwarf (Rare):
    Crack Shot x 2

Lava Elf (Common):
    Fusilier x 3
    Spider Rider x 3
    Scout x 2

Lava Elf (Uncommon):
    Dead Shot x 1
    Duelist x 1
    Spy x 1
    Warlock x 1

Lava Elf (Rare):
    Assassin x 1

Fire Walker (Common):
    Sunburst x 1
    Guardian x 1
    Explorer x 1
    Firestarter x 1

Fire Walker (Uncommon):
    Nightsbane x 1
    Sunflare x 1

Fire Walker (Rare):
    Daybringer x 1

Fire Walker (Monster):
    Salamander x 1

Amazon (Common):
    Charioteer x 1
    Darter x 1

Amazon (Rare):
    Harbinger x 1

Dragons
    Air Wyrm x 1
    Fire Wyrm x 1
    Death Drake x 1

I apologize for the verticality of this post. I will say, however, that looking at this collection, and then taking a peek at SFR's current offerings, I may order two or three Amazon kicker packs, and perhaps a Coral Elf or Dwarf. It seems I actually got one of the Monsters & Amazons kicker packs that had the Rare + Commons combination, and the more I've read about the race, the more appealing it has become.

Thanks in advance for thoughts/advice.
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: A new player, an old collection, and a first post. Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to Dragon Dice™. You have a few options as a fellow person starting back playing after many years of not.

You can shoot for about 14-16 point armies just to play with what you have and try to keep a single race just for simplicity. I would try a few games like that. They won't be overly interesting but it will let you walk though the steps of whats going on.

Then you can try to get up to the 24-36 point range by mixing races. Try to pick a common color like to overlap like black for goblins and the swampstalkers. It will be a little weird and have a lot more going on as each race has different abilities.

Then try playing a few games that way.

I highly recommend some of the aid/playmat cards that can be found in the forums and around on board game geek.

If you are in Northern VA or going to Origins/Gencon I would be happy to meet up.

Enjoy the dice! I know I have been.

Thanks
-Ryan
Arctorus
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: A new player, an old collection, and a first post. Reply with quote

bluewizard wrote:
You can shoot for about 14-16 point armies just to play with what you have and try to keep a single race just for simplicity... Then you can try to get up to the 24-36 point range by mixing races. Try to pick a common color like to overlap like black for goblins and the swampstalkers.

Great suggestions! I'm completely in the dark, since I never actually got to play this game, so I'm coming in with no prior experience or understanding of their capabilities.

I decided to just use Corel Elf vs Lava Elf for the 14-16 point army suggestion. Those two races are the most plentiful dice in the collection at the moment.
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For combined armies, Lava Elf & Dwarf vs. Goblin & Swampstalker will work well for you too since each of those pairs shares their own common preferred terrain.
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a fast army, use the Amazons and Goblins, or Swampstalkers, on Swampland
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UltimaGabe
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much to add in the way of strategy, but I just wanted to let you know that your story seems very similar to mine! I bought a ton of Dragon Dice™ back in '95 or '96, but never actually learned how to play until just a few years ago. I traded a couple of my rare dice for a huge number of less-rare dice a couple years back, and now that I know how to play the game, it's a blast and my friends and I love playing it.

Good job sticking with it (I know I was tempted to sell/throw away my dice over the years) and I hope you get a lot of use out of your dice!
mttgamer
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to piggy back on this thread.
I bought a large collection of someone's off of ebay for about $100 3 years ago, Think 2ftx2ft box with a bunch of little boxes just filled to the brim with dice.

I'm coming to gencon and realized you guys had a presence there last year(and did 3 years ago as well when i discovered Dragon Dice™) and i regretted not doing anything with my hefty collection.

I saw there was a single race sealed event going on, but sadly it starts way too early for my taste. I thought that might be my best option if i throw together stuff.

Do yall have army lists you like to run that are easy to assemble. Also, what event do you think i'd be ok to enter? I'm sure i can relearn the rules quite easily as well.

I know it's only a day away from Gencon, but i just hope someone responds Smile
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the list of the GenCon events:
http://sfr-inc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4379&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

To relearn the rules, sign up for one of the Dragon Dice™ novice events. Any of the sealed events are also good. For constructed events, Single Race is your best bet, No Magicians! is also good. World Championship, Multi-Player, and Battlefest are not good events for beginning players.

Campaigns is a different game that uses Dragon Dice™. Daemon Dice™ and Super Power Smack Down are completely different games with completely different dice.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

mttgamer wrote:

I saw there was a single race sealed event going on, but sadly it starts way too early for my taste. I thought that might be my best option if i throw together stuff.

Do yall have army lists you like to run that are easy to assemble. Also, what event do you think i'd be ok to enter? I'm sure i can relearn the rules quite easily as well.

I know it's only a day away from Gencon, but i just hope someone responds Smile

The "No Magicians" and "Single Race" formats would be the easiest events to get back in at an "intermediate" level. "No Magicians" dramatically cuts down on spell use, and mastering the magic aspect of the game is one of the more challenging aspects of the game system. "Single Race" is a good format, since you only have to deal with one race, allowing the player to focus on dice of only one race to learn the icons, SAIs, and only two colors of spells - plus it cuts out the Advanced Rules.

Novice tournaments are also good for a "rusty" player to get re-acquainted with the basic mechanics in a friendly environment where advice, options, tips, and tactics can be discussed openly.

For the adventurous, the "Sealed" events can be pretty interesting. Everyone gets new dice and has to figure out what to do with them. Everyone starts in the same predicament. If you are looking to increase your dice collection anyway, the products you get in a "Sealed" event are at a discounted price that is included in the entry fee.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: