SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie from GenCon 2015! Looking for guidance on starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriOpticon
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: Newbie from GenCon 2015! Looking for guidance on starting Reply with quote

I think I am finally recovered from GenCon and so I had some questions.

I did a demo of Dragon Diceâ„¢ and enjoyed it (along with Daemon Diceâ„¢) enough to buy an Amazon and a Goblins kicker, plus the nice mats. I also received 2 terrain and 2 dragons (I think).

However, I am thinking, maybe I should have bought 2 kickers each of Amazons and Goblins? If so, when I buy them from the store, should I also get the "Starter Terrains and Dragons"?

If I decide to branch out to try other armies, should I always buy 2 of their Kickers at a time? Would I also need to buy another "Starter Terrains and Dragons" or is there a better way of getting more terrain/dragons?

Thanks for any guidance.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:04 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Newbie from GenCon 2015! Looking for guidance on startin Reply with quote

Welcome! I'm still recovering from Gencon myself. I'm a little biased as I think everyone should buy multiples of everything Smile

If you want to play a standard setup as a single race, then you will need two kickers of a race to get the 30 points of health.

What you bought at Gencon was a special "Build Your Own" one-player starter. That convention special is that you get the two dragons and two terrains, basically free.

On our website we offer a 'starter terrain/dragon' set, which is 4 terrains and 4 dragons for $6.

Whether you get more terrains or not depends on if you are custom building your army to need a particular 8th or terrain type (for racial abilities). I would recommend getting at least one to give you some options rather than being stuck with the two that you have.
TriOpticon
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, cliffwiggs. I will start with 1 more Amazon and Goblins kicker plus that starter terrain/dragon set.

Hopefully the family enjoys playing this and we will branch out from there.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most of the games are 36 health. The only games at GenCon that were not 36 health were the sealed games which were 30 (because that is the total health of two kickers) and Battlefest, which is 60 health because it's s blast to roll that many dice! I am not sure what the health was for the draft, but I think it was 30 to emulate two kickers.

But all of the other games were 36 points as that is the traditional size of a regular game of Dragon Diceâ„¢. No Magicians, Single Race, and Worlds were all 36 points.

My advice is to buy more dice. I am not affiliated with SFR, though I consider most of those guys friends, but I am pretty unbiased with this point of view. Of course, I have an insane number of Dragon Diceâ„¢ as a collector (over 7,800... Collecting for 20 years), so you can factor that in, but really, when you want to build an army, you really want options. I think getting 5 kickers each of your first two races would be a good start. It should give you some dupes, and that is how you learn to build an army. Typically you want to focus on two attributes to "specialize" in.... Things your army should do well. There are 5 to choose from: Melee, missile, magic, maneuvers, and saves. Getting dupes of certain dice will allow you to weight your army in one or two of those aspects, and that is really the first step in the strategies of army construction. Then you play test your build and try to work strategies where you are playing to your strengths (meleeing with a heavy Melee army for example). You really have no power to strategically build an army with only two kicker packs.

The best bet, if you can afford it, is to pick your favorite race and buy a case. For most races, you will likely get at least one of each die, and then plenty of extras to be able to create a few different armies of that race focused on different aspects. And it gives you good trade fodder to tweak your collection even more. Just bear in mind that Swamp Stalkers, Frostwings, and Scalders have a dice rarity that will likely preclude you from getting one of each die in a case. You will get most of them, and the ones you don't get wont be a big deal from an army construction point of view. You will still be able to construct good armies from a case of these races.... Just don't expect to get one of every die from a case, unless you are typically lucky at pulling hard to get things from random packs. All of the other races will likely yield a complete set in a case, including Amazons and Goblins. Coincidently, I won Battlefest with an army that contained 11 Goblin Trolls. The best way to get 11 Trolls is to buy a lot of Goblin kickers! Goblins is an excellent race to start your collection with as it has two superb dice... The Troll and the Leapord Rider. You can really make some very good armies from a single case of Goblins. And you can make a great Maneuver/Missile army from a case of Amazons. Either of those would be great races to start with.

If you can't afford a case, then I would stick with getting at least 5 kickers of a race and then going from there.

Shoe
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:
Actually, most of the games are 36 health.

Shoe! Don't scare the new players away Wink No one is as crazy as you or me or Chuck. When I first demo'ed this game Will walked by with his dolly of dice (his entire collection at the time). The first thing my wife told me is that we were never buying that much.... oh if only she had known.

Yes most events are currently 36 health, but I'm trying to fix that because the kickers are 15 and I like even multiples. and since I control the event descriptions for Gencon2016... bwhahahahahaha....

Smile
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not scaring anyone away! I was just trying to illustrate why having the extra dice in a given race was a good thing.

My point may not have made it with all the text, but at the end of the day, what I was trying to say was... Buy dice of one race first, until you have enough flexibility regarding army construction that you are able to make an army or two that suites how you want to play. Then consider another race after that. So, in his example, I would recommend buying either Goblins OR Amazons, until he had enough to do what he wants with that race. If he wants to buy two kickers, I'd make them the same race. I guess I wasn't that clear.

Also, I did not realize you were considering making standard constructed games 30 points. I like the math for 36 better, but you're the boss! 😀
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you wanted to scare anyone away, shoe, you should have said that the one must have for playing the game is a TSR Unseelie Fairie! Twisted Evil
TriOpticon
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I was not scared away. I had not thought of focusing on one race and building 2 armies to learn the game. That is actually a good idea. Once I play with these some more, I'll focus on one that I prefer as I learn the nuances of the game and then expand another army.

Also, I may have recovered from GenCon, but my wallet still needs some time. Smile

Thanks for the information!
Drachenwurfel
uncommon
Stockholder

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cliff:
I think i be as Crazy as you three! I own at least 5000 dice, The only i am missing ist this damn TSR Unseely...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Dragon Dice™ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: