SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knockout Rule Idea

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 am GMT    Post subject: Knockout Rule Idea Reply with quote

So I had a rule variation idea.

Lets set the stage:
A horde of dwarven cavalry leads a charge in the highlands of their home, their target? A group of goblins attempting to sneak into their territory. As the charge commences, a lowly pelter peeks out from behind a rock, pulling back his slingshot.

His shot is true, striking the Dwarven mammoth rider between the eyes, dismounting him from beast. The goblin Cheers! He believes that he has killed the dwarf. Little does he know that the dwarf was only knocked off. He gets up, dusts off his armor, and climbs back onto his mammoth. But he is too late, the charge is already occuring, he was left behind.

So this is the concept:
whenever an army takes damage, sometimes you simply cannot take all of the damage available, it may not be physically possible.

Whenever there is leftover damage, the defending army selects 1 unit per point of damage not taken. Those units must generate a save or maneuver result or immediately be moved to reserve. This effect only occurs from normal damage, not from damage generated by spells or SAIs.

Monsters selected in this way use 2 points of unresolved damage to make the save/maneuver roll.

for obvious reasons, 1 health units cannot be affected by this, and if there is a way to take more damage, you must do so.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting idea.

The worry I have is that it would drive people to use all uncommons and a high level of cavalry units.
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of that. I suppose it would certainly be possible to make people less likely to use commons, of course the overall effect would essentially be minimal.

My theory was this might make people MORE likely to have cannon fodder commons/uncommons, to avoid this adverse affect against rares and monsters.

The maximum units that would be affected would be 2, since the maximum damage that is applicable is 3, since if you cannot have 3 spare damage and a rare unit. (that unit would still need to be killed)

It's an idea, anyways.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideas are always welcome.

Don't mean to stifle the creative process.

There is a lot of gravel that surrounds every diamond and you have to sift through it.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive behind this idea is great. I'd love to see some more reason to field some more 'common cannon fodder', as it would be very fitting thematically.
However, this instantiation has an odd implication. Because knocked out units get moved to the reserves outside of the normal order of events, they are capable of reinforcing other armies sooner than the rest of their original army could. This would seem to imply that knocked out units are somehow more mobile than their non-knocked out counterparts... The only way I could see this make 'sense' is if the units get knocked out Team Rocked-style, but I doubt that is what this game is aiming for Mr. Green

F
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Team Rocket Style is the way to go Laughing

It would maybe work better along the lines of the sleep SAI? Make it so the unit cannot be rolled until the beginning of your next turn? It would certainly make units more vunerable to attack. They'd end up like dead but not actually dead.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One strategy (not super common but it does happen) is to target a unit that can't roll with something that requires them to individually roll to save. i.e they automatically die.

so would you want to put the knocked units in the same bucket or just prevent them from rolling with an army, but able to roll to save just themselves?
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the best way to manage that would be, I guess them being able to save in itself would be a good thing to have, but at the same time, that same unit did already get a chance to save vs. the knockout in the first place, so it comes down to how vicious should this be?

in my opinion, I'd allow one save or the other (either save vs. knockout or still allowed to roll saves)

possibly the second for 2 reasons: 1 - gives the unit a chance of not being killed by something it would normally save from and 2 - this wouldn't add an additional step to combat, since the unit would only make a save roll if it needed to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: