SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suffering stuns...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HBCoffin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Suffering stuns... Reply with quote

Hello,

My first post here, so thought I'd offer a quick introduction (just out of courtesy, irrelevant to the topic at hand, so you may skip to the bottom in big lettering for my actual inquiry)...

I used to collect Dragon Dice™ back in '95, simply for aesthetic value. I may have toyed around with the dice from time to time, but I never really got a chance to play the actual game. I was quite young; my attention span and level of critical thinking in the 4th grade wasn't up to par to read the rules through and through and develop a complete understanding of how to play. I was able to get the hang of games like Magic the Gathering, but that was really thanks to having the aid of veteran players to guide me at local gatherings (if I had been left alone with nothing more than a rule book, I'm sure I would have run into the same wall I did with Dragon Dice™). I never really ran into anyone who played Dragon Dice™ locally, or at least enough to be hosting an event in order to spread the word, much less have the desire or patience to train young players such as myself. Alas, I was content with the surprise of what might await inside each kicker pack so I could stare in awe at the different signs & symbols and ponder their significance.

Anyway, after recently diving into a new, more contemporary selection of board games with my wife, I was reminded of Dragon Dice™. I quickly did a search online to see where the game stood and was happy to find that it was adopted by SFR and dice were still in production. Even better, all the old dice I had back at home were still compatible!

So the next trip I made to my local comic shop I made sure to keep an eye out for any packs that might be resting on the shelves. I was happy to find a single Amazon kicker pack. Next to this were a couple packs of Daemon Dice™ (a starter pack and a Fester booster). Upon first inspection I thought it might be an expansion to Dragon Dice™, then I realized it was an entirely different game. In the end I decided to pick up the starter and give Daemon Dice™ a shot as I wouldn't get my hands on my old Dragon Dice™ too soon.

I was happy to find Daemon Dice™ was relatively quick to learn, and it's been fairly easy to teach another player with the aid of the provided playmat. The collection of dice in the starter I purchased made for unbalanced Daemons, and matches were quick to end. After I noticed other players here who shared a similar experience, I thought I'd work expand my collection to create more balanced Daemons for better gameplay. I picked up the Fester booster locally, another starter online, and was able to find a nice bundle of Chaos Progenitus/Demon Dice dice via eBay.

I introduced my cousin to the game earlier today and we were able to have some fairly competitive matches, however, there still seems to be a noticeable advantage to the player who takes the first turn.

After having read the rules a few times and gone over the most recent revisions, one thing fails to be clear to me (my apologies if I simply missed it in the rulebook or elsewhere on this forum)-as the defender (or attacker), can you select dice which have been minus-ed to be the target of a stun/wound attack (can you choose to stun/wound a minus-ed die/body part)?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that is a good question. I just re-read the rules looking for that answer. And I see that it is not clear. The text on minusing the dice say that those dice are "out of play". I see where that can be confusing. That really should just say they are not rolled, and are considered spent. And the Note under Suffer Stuns & Wounds should say "You can choose any body part which is not already stunned or wounded, including grabbed, minus-ed, or spent body parts to suffer damage."
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how many times you test or proof read the rules, something always slips through.
HBCoffin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for the help guys. Previously I think I had been applying stuns/wounds strictly to parts that weren't currently minus-ed, assuming "out of play" meant they were immune to any other effects for the remainder of the turn. The ability to apply stuns/wounds to minus-ed parts definitely makes for a more balanced game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Help - Daemon Dice All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: