SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spells

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indrid Cold
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:35 am GMT    Post subject: Spells Reply with quote

As a general rule, can spells (such as finger of death) be cast more than once in a single turn?

For example, goblins roll 12 magic. They cast finger of death once upon a 1 health unit and once upon a 2 health unit. Is this the correct application of the rules?
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Spells maybe cast as many times as you want unless the spell has some kind of restriction.

You are correct for the finger of death example.

4 points for the first finger of death of the 1 health unit then 8 for the second 2 health unit.
Indrid Cold
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Second question: Can ID magic rolls be doubled to cast an elemental spell, such as summon dragon or raise dead? Or can ID magic rolls only be doubled to cast specific color spells?

(edit: we are assuming here that a race color matches the terrain)
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem we are here to help.

Yes they can and here is why.

You will roll all your dice. Then look to see if the ID results match the terrain color if so those units are able to double their result for the color(s) that match.

Once you are done resolving all your dice to see how much magic of each color you have then you may start selecting the spells to cast.

You may cast any elemental spells with that magic as long as you meet their racial requirements if they have any. If they don't have any racial requirement load them up and summon those dragons!

Notes:

1. The thing to note is the Resurrect Dead spell can have colors mixed and matched as long as it is in groups of 3. Example. You want to resurrect a unit that is 3 health and have generated 4 red, 2 blue, 6 gold magic.
    You could case Resurrect Dead with 3 red and the 6 gold to bring back the 3 health unit.
    You can not do something like 4 red, 2 blue and 3 gold as each color isn't a multiple of 3.

2. The doubling happens in the doubling step of Calculate Roll Results.

3. Black magic can also be doubled based on dead units in a players Dead Unit Area.

Hope that helps.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Enhanced Offense and Enhanced Defense be cast multiple times on the same army, expecting that a different unit would have to be chosen for doubling (I.e. Any given unit can only be doubled once), or can those spells only be cast once per target army?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the phrase "Select a Unit or Item that has not already doubled their
results after the army’s roll is made." I would say definitely.

There are no restrictions called out such as you see on Flash Flood.

Here is an interesting combo.

Enhanced Defense allows a unit to double it's magic.
Necromantic Wave allows magic to be counted as melee.

So an Amazon and Lava Elf army could get some interesting melee results.

Note: It appears the 'count as' was left out of the Calculate Roll Results on page 10. Unless someone slaps my hand, that will be treated as being being the same timing as Racial Abilities, treat it as if it says 'count as'.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:

Here is an interesting combo.

Enhanced Defense allows a unit to double it's magic.
Necromantic Wave allows magic to be counted as melee.

So an Amazon and Lava Elf army could get some interesting melee results.

Shhhhhh 😉
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heyho.

Vexus and I stumbled upon something tonight.

I am referring to this section of the rules:

Quote:
Duration:
This is how long a spell lasts. Possible durations are immediate, beginning or end of a particular step.
If the army is destroyed or no longer exists at a terrain at the end of a step any spells affecting that army will end. If the army or affected unit is destroyed any spell(s) effecting them end.
When a player is eliminated from a multi-player game any spells cast on this player’s units or armies and
by the player expire.

I am pretty sure I know how it is intended, but I have to ask.
Is it possible to cast from reserve, that affects the army in the reserve and then move this army out of reserves with the spell still in effect? My guess is no, but since reserves is not a Terrain, nothing prevents the spell from dissolving. So either there is something else in the rules, our it needs to be rephrased, or it is possible. ^^
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

TecnoSmurf wrote:
Heyho.

Vexus and I stumbled upon something tonight.

I am referring to this section of the rules:

Quote:
Duration:
This is how long a spell lasts. Possible durations are immediate, beginning or end of a particular step.
If the army is destroyed or no longer exists at a terrain at the end of a step any spells affecting that army will end. If the army or affected unit is destroyed any spell(s) effecting them end.
When a player is eliminated from a multi-player game any spells cast on this player’s units or armies and
by the player expire.

I am pretty sure I know how it is intended, but I have to ask.
Is it possible to cast from reserve, that affects the army in the reserve and then move this army out of reserves with the spell still in effect? My guess is no, but since reserves is not a Terrain, nothing prevents the spell from dissolving. So either there is something else in the rules, our it needs to be rephrased, or it is possible. ^^

Yes it should say terrain or reserves.

So you are correct if the army moves the spell won't go with them.

Making a note to update in the next release.
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Thx Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking at these. The rules are massive and when you are dug in deep looking for 'X' it can be so easy to miss 'Y' when you are looking right at it.
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. We have to practise for the German Championship anyway, so we find these inconsistencies rather by accident.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ryan said, and I may be posting this a lot to help it sink in.

One of the biggest changes to the core is the idea of sequential resolution. It's nothing new, but the idea is that everything happens in very specific steps and specific times in the turn sequence and if you miss the time slice, you don't get to take that action. For example: an army rolls, then during SAI's an effect causes a new unit to join that army. That unit no longer gets to roll because the roll step has passed.

This 'stand in line to execute' is passed down to SAI effects, spell effects, etc. Everything is individual unless it says it can be combined. Right now all SAI's are individual and all spells are individual. Instead of the concept of casting a spell multiple times to combine them, the spell internally has to allow it's effect to be magnified. So before I could say I cast Finger of Death 4 times and I combine them. Now I have to say I cast it one, but with a multiplier of 4.

There will be more optimal and less optimal ways to resolve things. That is up to the player to choose.

It may be a bit awkward at first, but it helps give a defined scope and scale to everything so there is no ambiguity when a new situation comes up.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: