SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic Items

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 am GMT    Post subject: Magic Items Reply with quote

I have a few questions regarding magic items:

1) Let's say I have an army of 8 lava elves, with 1 undead unit in it (9 units total). They all have black magic items. Lets say the undead rolls 2 magic, and the black items total 14 magic (all black). Can I use all 14 black magic results to cast undead racial spells? Could I cast 4 Evil Eyes and a Restless Dead, even though I only have one undead unit? The rules seem to permit it, but I wasn't sure about intent, so I thought I would ask. Or, maybe it is not allowed somewhere I am missing. It seems that once you have established that all the items can be carried (by the lava elves), that there is no other restriction in place, and that as long as I have that one undead unit in the army, I could use all of the magic from the items to cast undead racial spells, even if the points came from more items than a single unit could carry.

2) Rules 3.0 page 18, under Items:

Line 11:

Items may only be rolled if a unit capable of carrying it is rolled

I have two units of the same race, each carrying a magic item that matches their color, and one of the units gets stunned. When I roll the army, can I roll the unit that is not stunned and both magic items? I know there must be at least as many units able to carry items as there are items, but in this case, that's not a problem as it is two units and two items. For rolling, the unstunned unit is capable of carrying either unit, so would you roll both of them?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You are correct. As crazy as it seems it has always been this way. item carrying has always been more conceptual to keep you from having to assign items to units. here is the rule from page 11 that supports this:
"Magic from items may be used to cast racial specific spells if at least one unit of that race is in the casting army."

2) I see your point, but you can only roll one item in this example. It comes down to the word 'capable' and that word is also used on page 17. That usage is within the 1 to 1 context of carrying. Thus I would extend that meaning to the usage of 'capable' on page 18. I am only capable of carrying one item at a time and thus can only roll one item. I'll see if there is a more clear way to word this so you don't have to jump through hoops.

Thanks for looking so closely at the rules to find these awkward places.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the reply!
shepdog69
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Magic items Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it could be worded, but think you should be limited on racial spells by the fact that each unit can only carry, and presumably use, one magic item. Not to say you should necessarily have to declare in advance which item is carried by which unit, but rather could decide after the roll, based on your preferred strategy. It wouldn't be difficult to manage that way, but would limit what I would consider abuse of the intent of the rule. My two cents..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: