SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe October
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Quick Response.

As I wander around and look for input, it seems there are at least two versions of the rules:

(1) Lightweight "Starter" version for new players and demos.

(2) Full rules (Tournament Set?)

I also see some cool variants such as Quest and Campaign but those appear to be an add on to the standard rules.

I'm not sure how close they are but if you can get them into a single set of rules, it would be simpler for new players. I don't suggest you short cut the advanced rules so much as give the basic rules and show the enhancements.

I did see an (very) interesting notion that one of the current principles would be it would be nice to have the dice be the focus and perhaps multiple games using the dice. Yes ... Much Good Thought there!!!!!

However, the challenge remains that either a new player must become an expert on the detail and thus become invested in the current rule set. Or, focus the rules on a more generic description so that it can be leveraged for other games.

For example (only a suggested off top of head):
Section 1 is the dice which would work for any game. Meet your new dice and what do they do?
Section 2 would be rules specific for Dragon Diceâ„¢ Basic function. (Map, types of results, etc.)
Section 3 would be the full (tournament specific) rules. These of course could be incorporated into daily play as well.

The (great) idea to let the dice be the vehicle for other games is splendid but once you have learned enough to play Dragon Diceâ„¢, it would be a challenge to unlearn it. Then, you risk it being just another variation which fills your to do list but does not meet your "more games" goal.

(When I seen Dragon Diceâ„¢, my brain can't un-see that this would be a great tool for everyone's favorite RPG to battle armies (in a non-Esfah environment) and quickly my brain says ... well ... this could be an orc (ork?) and this could be a skel in the Underworld, yo Giants .... that one looks like an evil wizard --- hey this is way more portable than my box of lead.)

Who can't see Wizard Duel with each die being a spell, or a conjured unit, or before it's rolled, a terrible surprise for your eldritch foe.

Throw in a few middle earth location cards and the long out of print "Ring Bearer" and the Nazgul ride in force tonight. Woe be the Dark Lord's forces if I can just make that roll. (We never make that roll ... it's all good.)

Who says the goblin dice have to be goblins? They can just as easily be Achaeans standing at the walls of Troy ... Achilles waits for your Hector die ... perhaps you will find the Underworld on a different day. Fore tellings say you will not. Perhaps the dice will speak otherwise.

The dice speak for themselves ... they are what they are ... One just needs a pile of dice and a set of rules and thrills await.

(/spinning down from my sugar fueled out burst)

... carry on as you were ...
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some variations out there. Most are fan based ideas or some of our attempts that didn't become a finished product.

usually the core game mechanic remains unchanged. You just have a different turn sequence or terrain layout or victory condition.

It is a flexible system.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: