SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little bit of a tease part 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:17 am GMT    Post subject: Little bit of a tease part 1 Reply with quote

Here is a little tease on what the page might look like in the book to come....

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B8orMQNhnAK_MzJlMjViMDAtZjkwYS00MWVjLTk5NDgtZjEyYmViZmFjNGM1&hl=en_US

I was thinking of making the background look like an old tattered scroll, what do you guys think?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely need some color. one of the things I love about books is that the background isn't just plain and white. it needs something to break it up.
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what do you guys think?

First thought is...
is this legal clip art or something? MTG

or how about who is the artist?

or perhaps do you have legal rights to use the image(s)...?

those are my first thoughts...
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff said its from the interplay video game of Dragon Dice™ from a long time ago. He says as long as we add a little disclaimer there shouldn't be a problem.

The artist name is justin sweet I think, I will get back to you.

Do you like the origin of the amazons, I am trying to elaberate on each race especially the ones that don't have much of an origin
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cliff said its from the interplay video game of Dragon Dice™™ from a long time ago. He says as long as we add a little disclaimer there shouldn't be a problem.

Ok Cool...

Quote:
Do you like the origin of the amazons, I am trying to elaberate on each race especially the ones that don't have much of an origin

there is no try

-Yoda-
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the quote, you are right I am going to write it. What I write will be canon, you can call me Canondorph Twisted Evil
Ironneth the DragonMaster
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Little bit of a tease part 1 Reply with quote

Zero_Dynasty wrote:
Here is a little tease on what the page might look like in the book to come....

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B8orMQNhnAK_MzJlMjViMDAtZjkwYS00MWVjLTk5NDgtZjEyYmViZmFjNGM1&hl=en_US

I was thinking of making the background look like an old tattered scroll, what do you guys think?

Gee that looks familiar.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero_Dynasty wrote:
Cliff said its from the interplay video game of Dragon Dice™™ from a long time ago. He says as long as we add a little disclaimer there shouldn't be a problem.

hey dont get me in trouble!

its just a placeholder for now.....
DarkKindness
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things spring immediately to mind - first, that really needs an editor's "loving" touch, and second, what was wrong with the existing elements of the Amazon's origins? I always rather liked them being a product of Tarvenehl while Nature and her children were away licking their wounds...

Also, the current page layout, while very readable, feels a little too modern. Something like a parchment background might help with that, but some of the bordering around the page elements struck me as odd for the subject matter.

Overall, it's a good start, and I certainly don't want to suggest that I have anything other than the utmost admiration for the people who've taken on this project.
crapshoot69
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero_Dynasty wrote:

I wouldn't treat it simply with a disclaimer. Copyright extends 75 years past the death of the author! On a web page attribution will more than likely cover it, but I would strongly recommend that the copyright is cleared first, especially for a commercial product. Odds are, the copyright may not lie with the artist, but with the company.

Just a librarian's $.02
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree Dark. The only reason the layout looks like it does, is so its easy to read for demo purposes. I really want to take out borders, and like i said before, have the background be a piece of parchment. I wanted the borders to looked like it was burnt around the edges of the pictures and the font be old english, like is was hand written.

When it comes to the story, there are so many gaps with the creation of each of the races. I am trying to make a streamline story that has them all connecting, making a very cool story for later. I love the original stories, and I am including them also, I am merely tweaking them to add more character to the race. The problem with the original stories is they were created for the purpose of not being personal in any way. I read original notes of it actually saying "Dragon Dice™ game has no heroes, it about armies fighting one another." I am simply adding more personality for each race so it makes for better story for individuals.
DarkKindness
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good on the layout, then - it sounds like you've got some really cool ideas for the final look, and I'm certainly eager to see it... especially the burned in borders. Should be cool!

In regard to the story... I think that the original stories, while not designed to highlight any heroes, leave plenty of room for them. It would be nice to see those stories used as the skeleton on which the more in-depth stories are built. Like I said, I've always been a fan of the Amazons' origin, and it was kind of disappointing not to see any mention of Tarvenehl in the story as written; I could get used to it, but I'd still love the original story and it would always be the 'real' story in my mind if it weren't directly tied I to the current project.

I -really- wish that my last computer hadn't just died so that I could contribute to this project a LOT more heavily, but it's hard to do word processing on the smartphone that I'm stuck using as my primary device for now Sad
Zero_Dynasty
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reread the Tome of the Tarvanehl, i completely forgot this story, as my little book had been lost for such a long time. I agree the story is very nice. I am going to make the change in the first paragraph of the origin saying the first man was created from the shade and mention Tarvanehl. This also makes for the men having the "darkness" inside them, which drives them to their downfall. The king would be Lyandra, given a male name later, and the queen be Alyandra. How does that sound? I am open to any suggestion.
Joe October
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 pm GMT    Post subject: White Page Black Text is MY Friend Reply with quote

Be careful with the color combinations for us senior gamers who struggle with 6 point brown font on tan page .... Yikes!!!!

I like Black Text on White pages for the primary text (just me). Layout and content is the key (of course).

It would be great to open a book to a page with all the information for a race and spells on opposing faces. (Make the book useful!!!)

Just my 2 cents. (Looks great by the way!!!)
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an example of an abandoned project. Note that this thread hasn't been commented on in six years!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dragon Dice: Quest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: