SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3.0 Rules - Questions!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 am GMT    Post subject: 3.0 Rules - Questions! Reply with quote

Have a few questions about the 3.0 rules. Some of these might not be new, but I'm just double-checking. GENCON's on my mind and I want to make sure I get things right.

*The white dragon rules say that all its icons are doubled. Does that include the treasure? If a white dragon rolls treasure, do you get to promote two units?
*White dragon breath: Does the attacked army suffer all applicable unit breath effects as well as army breath effects? For example, at a mountain, does the army have to kill 10 heath, 5 and 5, or only 5?

*Ivory hybrid dragons: it says they always attack the army, but is also says they are attacked by hybrid, elemental and white dragons. Which is it? Or is it both: They inflict their damage on the army, but the other dragons inflict damage on them, so they essentially don't fight back against other dragons?
May be a moot point because...

*Dragon icons: all the icon descriptions say they inflict damage "on an army." So do they not inflict damage on other dragons? Dragons will just fight, but never damage, and thus never kill, each other forever? Or worse, do they inflict damage on the (bystanding) army even though they are allegedly fighting each other?
(I'm guessing the answer is, "of course they inflict damage on each other, you dolt!" and chalking this up to a typo)

*Firewalkers' Flaming Shields ability: Does it work on both an attack AND a counter attack? The rule says "melee action". Thinking it does, but, again, just checking.

*Do Hailstorm, Firebolt, Firestorm, et al, allow a save roll? The spell descriptions do not say. The Damage section implies that they do.

*Charm: It says the charmed units may be "taken as casualties," but by whom? Since it says "from the melee attack", I imagine it's by the defending player. That is, the charmED, rather than the charmING.

*Regenerate: If memory serves (which it might not) at one time this SAI could be split between saves and bringing units back. Is that no longer the case? The current wording does not appear to support that. If so, great! Keep it simple.

*Open Grave: Is damage from combat an "army targeting effect" or what? Does OG now only protect against damaging army targeting spells like Hailstorm?

Thanks for helping an old dog with the new tricks.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

All white dragon icons are double including Treasure. So treasure does indeed allow you to promote two units.

White dragon breath does as many breaths as the colors in the terrain. Each breath has full effect both unit and army. So at a normal Highland terrain that has no Call Elements spells on it, a white dragon will do a Gold and Red breath. Each breath is separate, so it's 5 health dead, and 5 health dead (save or be buried).

Since both are listed, both happen. The Ivory Hybrid dragon attacks the army, the other (hostile) dragons attack the Ivory Hybrid dragon.

The "on an army" will be deleted in the next version (3.01).

A melee action consists of an attack and (optional) counter-attack.

We decided we did not need to say every time that something does damage that you get to roll to save. It's all spelled out in the damage section. So when a spell says it "does damage", the section on damage tells you how to resolve that.

Since this is during a melee attack, only the defending play has to take casualties (normally).

Regenerate has not been able to be split ever. You are thinking of Wild Growth....

Open Grave has always only protected from army targeted damage. If you Finger of Death a unit in an army with an Open Grave, the Open Grave has never been able to protect it. Any effect that targets an army (Magic, Missile, or Melee) and does damage, would be saved by Open Grave.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 am GMT    Post subject: More 3.0 questions Reply with quote

*Charge SAI: Does the defending army make a combination save & melee roll, or just a save roll that happens to count melee results, too?

*Charm: Is this the one circumstance when someone other than the owner of a die rolls it?

*Coil: Does the coiling unit get to save against any damage inflicted by the coiled unit?
Judging from the Damage rules, I'm inclined to say it does.

*Gore: Does the target get to save? How about the target of Kick?
Neither says "with no save possible" so, again, it looks like "yes."

*Illusion: Are there any "enemy magic effects" that are NOT spells?

Thanks!
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge: By definition, it's a combination save/melee roll. See "Combination Rolls".

Charm: Clearly says the owner rolls the dice....

Coil: Yes it gets to save, see Hug for similar effect that gets no save.

Gore: yes, gets to save, see the section on damage.

Illusion: No. I'm not sure why it matters....
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
jmonnett
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Charge: By definition, it's a combination save/melee roll. See "Combination Rolls".

That section in the 3.0 rules doesn't really define a combination roll. It merely says that when one is made, "modifiers ... are applied as the [player] desires."
About Charge more specifically, would the melee part of this combination roll be treated like a melee attack, or like a dragon attack, as with Wall of Thorns?
I'm wondering how and whether SAIs like Charm, Decapitate and Confuse would work.
Would Kick just generate saves? Both melee and saves? Kick somebody AND save?

chuckpint wrote:

Charm: Clearly says the owner rolls the dice....

It does not. In the 3.0 rules, it says "The attacking army rolls those dice..."

chuckpint wrote:

Illusion: No. I'm not sure why it matters....

Just wondering why the rules used that turn of phrase instead of just saying "spells".
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm commenting on the 3.01 rules... They will be published soon, even if it means I have to figure out how to edit a Pages format file on a PC.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - Dragon Dice™ locked at 3.0 and eariler All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: