SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calculate Roll Results - How does it work

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> 3.01 and later Rules Discussion - Locked
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Calculate Roll Results - How does it work Reply with quote

Moin moin,

I have a question about the RAW on Page 10 of the 3.01 Rulebook. Since the Rules Discussion Forums are both locked and no other forum is accessible to post my question to, I will ask here ^^

It is about this specific section of the rules:

How to apply die modifiers when calculating roll results
When more than one modifier is in effect, apply them in the following order
- Modifiers that subtract (Results can never be negative; if a result would be reduced to below 0 it is set to 0 instead)
- Modifiers that divide (Apply Terrain and Racial below in their specific step). Results are rounded down.
- Modifiers that multiply (Apply Terrain and Racial below in their specific step)
- Results generated by SAIs
- Terrain effects
(Apply minor then major terrain effects)

- Racial abilities
- Count As effects
- Modifiers that add

Let's say I have my Lavaelfes ready to rock on my Hometerrain (a Highland). I have been a lucky duck and got a minor terrain (let's say a Knoll) in play and rolled the side: Double Maneuver (Yay, I am so good at dice games Smile). Now I roll a maneuver roll with my one and only Lurker in the deep to push my home terrain to a whopping 8 and the final eighth side to victory.
- My opponent has a maneuver result of 7 with his army.
- My Lurker, working with me, rolled Wings.

Now for the order of things (the text marked in red).
First: I multiply all my results. --> All fine, I have not yet resolved and SAI, and I have no effect that would multiply anything (since terrain effects will be resolved further down)
Second: I resolve my SAI --> Yay, I got four Maneuver out of my Wings
Third: I apply my minor terrain result of: Double Maneuver and double my Maneuver results from the step before to 8 --> YAY, I win!

My question is: Do I understand that correctly?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't post the same thing 4 times.... And this is the proper topic for the Version 3.01 and later. It is not locked.

Since you have no multiply effects, you have nothing to apply at the step "Modifiers that multiply" since this excludes any Major or Minor Terrain multiplication. Then you add in any SAIs that apply. In this case Wings, so you have 4 maneuvers. Then you apply "Terrain effects". Since the Major Terrain at 7 does nothing, you look at the Minor Terrain. With it showing Double Maneuvers, you double ALL your current maneuver results. So that 4 maneuver becomes 8.

So yes, you are able to push the terrain to 8. If that is your second 8th face, then yes, you win.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, I wasn't going to post it four times. The forum didn't accept my submit request. My bad. I shouldn't have clicked four times.

And I swear there wasn't a "3.1 and later rules discussion" forum, or I would have posted here O_O Again, my bad, maybe I haven't looked close enough. It was around 3am at the time (and now it's 5am and my son will get up soon... time to go to bed ^^).

Ok, so I understood everything correctly. There is no general "No-SAI-doubling"-rule that applies here? Just asking again, because it came up in conversation tonight and we wanted to make sure.

Similar thing happens with Counter and Trample (Amazons in particular are the ones that benefit from this) as I see it. Counter could be affected by Double save and Trample from the Double Maneuver.

Thx again Chuck. Really fast and helpful answer Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'general rule' that has always applied is that SAIs are not affected by spells or other SAIs, but are affected by terrains and dragons.

We didn't want to make that a 'rule', so it's built into how the results are calculated.
TecnoSmurf
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes perfect sense, thank you very much gentlemen.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> 3.01 and later Rules Discussion - Locked All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: