SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gencon 2017 - events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:59 am GMT    Post subject: gencon 2017 - events Reply with quote

As always, I can't believe this is sneaking up on us.

As you recall from last year, Gencon has 'decided' that it is better for us to hold few large events than a bunch of small ones.

I personally disagree with this because I see how many empty tables there are and why do they care if it is empty because they didn't schedule it or because no one came to my event. However that is my soapbox which ultimately doesn't matter because when we play in their toybox we play by their rules.

so, be brutal. what events should we keep? what should we lose?
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what event attendance was per event last year?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

title start_date number_of_paid_players
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/7/2016 12:00 0
Dragon Dice™: Sealed - Single Race 8/7/2016 10:00 3
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/7/2016 10:00 0
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/6/2016 22:00 0
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/6/2016 20:00 8
Dragon Dice™: Battlefest 8/6/2016 19:00 9
Dragon Dice™: World Championship 8/6/2016 14:00 7
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/6/2016 11:00 122 (gotta be wrong, but I'm not telling them that)
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/6/2016 9:00 13
Dragon Dice™: Sealed-Starter 8/6/2016 9:00 0
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/5/2016 22:00 1
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/5/2016 20:00 13
Dragon Dice™: Sealed - Kickers 8/5/2016 19:00 12
Dragon Dice™: Single Race 8/5/2016 14:00 6
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/5/2016 11:00 3
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/5/2016 9:00 8
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/4/2016 22:00 0
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/4/2016 20:00 9
Dragon Dice™: Mercenaries 8/4/2016 19:00 6
Dragon Dice™: No Magicians! 8/4/2016 14:00 3
Daemon Dice™: Novice 8/4/2016 11:00 3
Dragon Dice™: Novice 8/4/2016 9:00 4

no magicians, and single race are the ones which are likely to be removed, but I know a few players who LOVE those events. Those 3 players are the ones who come every year.

Daemon Dice™ novice may be toned down to just one a day.
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know what GenCon looks at metric wise?

We have a LOT of 0 events and I imagine that can't look good.

Isn't 3 people better than 0?

Isn't the Single Race and No-Magicians better for newer players? Shouldn't we support that?

I realize Novice events are where people come to learn and don't need anything. I am going to toss this out there. What are thoughts of renaming those to Learn to Play? That is kinda what they are and the title would relate more for people just looking in the book. Just a thought.

I do wonder why the Saturday 9 am and 8pm Dragon Dice™ was so large compared to the other days? Think it was just because of Saturday?
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluewizard wrote:
Do we know what GenCon looks at metric wise?

Gencon looks at butt's in seats.

So if I had 108 butt's last year, they will only want to give me. 108* 1.20-ish seats this year.

Quote:
We have a LOT of 0 events and I imagine that can't look good.
no it doesn't which is why instead of having three novice events of 12 seats, I may have to do two of 18. or even one.

Quote:

Isn't the Single Race and No-Magicians better for newer players? Shouldn't we support that?
The issue here is that it's a constructed event and NO ONE (other than 3 people) ever bring their dice to a convention. This is why i hold so many sealed and draft events because people can play those with no forethought.

Quote:
What are thoughts of renaming those to Learn to Play?
This has always been done due to a Gencon policy. We can't use the 'DEMO' word, an were told to call them Novice. I'll ask if we can use 'Learn to Play' instead.

Quote:

I do wonder why the Saturday 9 am and 8pm Dragon Dice™™ was so large compared to the other days? Think it was just because of Saturday?

Yes, it's the biggest day and holding them that early people are playing it before any of their other events start.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Demo” needs to be avoided because we use it for something very specific: a free taste of a game, not an actual full game.

You’re more than welcome to use “Learn to Play” or “Introduction to ___” or “Beginnger’s Game” or whatever other label you feel accurately describes the game you’re playing as long as it’s not “demo” and the players actually do get to play the real game.

So... I propose we no longer call it : Dragon Dice™: Novice and instead do something else.

suggestions? if you were a random gamer what keyword would you search for? what title would quickly and intuitively give you understanding and desire to buy a ticket?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sense in calling it "Beginner" anything, that will be in the experience level anyway. For those that have forgotten, every game listed at GenCon has an expected experience level. We always use the lowest level which is something along the lines of: Beginners welcome, rules will be taught.

While it's not very grammatically correct, I'd stick with all our games starting out with "Dragon Dice™:" or "Daemon Dice™:" at the beginning. Since games are listed alphabetically by title, that makes it easier for someone to find us.

I like the idea of "Learn to Play". So that's my vote.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
I like the idea of "Learn to Play". So that's my vote.

I agree.

I'm playing around with the idea of making them 4 hours instead of 2 and having it be a real tournament (3 rounds) with a starter or something as the prize. Advertising a prize may help draw crowds since we will be having fewer/larger events.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always done as many demo events as we can. Trying to make a schedule for this year is so totally different than what we've done before.

Thinking out loud here, but interested in your opinions.

I can pull 130-ish chairs w/o too much difficulty.

That breaks up into 7 events of 4 hour duration with 18 chairs per event.(on average) I could split those 18 chairs into two different events if need be, but would want them to be held at the same time.

So morning (9 or 10) and evening (7) on each day. This means we would vacate the space in the middle of the day for someone else to potentially use, but it also means the TD isn't stuck there all day every day.

Based on what has worked well in the past...

Thursday Morning needs a small demo
Thursday night needs a demo
Thursday night is small for 'Cliff's event' (I'll start a new thread for that)
Friday morning needs a demo
Friday night needs a sealed event (probably undead related)
Friday night needs a demo
Saturday morning needs a demo
saturday night needs a demo
saturday night needs battlefest
sunday morning was a bust last year, but bumper the year before...

That is ten events. (which would need to be 12 chairs per event)
6 demo events, 2 sealed events, 2 constructed events (I know I left out Worlds)

Here is where I must get philosophical and make up some percentages. These are just for events.
Some people play our demos every year and never buy.
Some are existing hard core which play but never buy.
Some play the demo and buy, but we never see again.
Some demo and buy, come back w/o dice, demo and buy again.

Who do we prioritize? who are these events for?

Some existing players only play at gencon. if we don't provide that opportunity would they drift away? have they already?

These are intended to supplement booth demos. Is that more important/efficient?
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We want to have some kinds of events that will expand interest in the game at the Con and at home.

I do like the Learn to play being a 4 hour slot so they can learn and play a few rounds. Winning a starter set is pretty neat idea.

For people that only play at GenCon they will need to have the opportunity to play. If not they will be totally gone and won't talk to friends about it at all.

Its a hard mix with the number of resources we have vs what we want to do.
I like where you are going here. I am personally one of the guys that really enjoy sealed. But there are so many that like different things. I don't believe I have a great answer here just my opinions.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is I simply don't have enough 'chairs' to do all of that. I can't cater to old players and new players.

would anyone just die if I didn't have a sunday event?

I worry if a 4 hour 'learn to play' will drive people away or will it give us more seasoned players because they get to play multiple games?
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thoughts on the 4 hour is play a few rounds or play a round. It gives you the ability to play a while. Would have to be advertised that way and be prepared for people to bail after a bit.

Looks like a few Novice / Learn to play are good.

From the numbers above the following look popular as well.
A sealed
Battlefest of course.
A "Normal" constructed like Worlds.

This becomes a though position to be in. To balance resources, spaces and such. I personally believe no matter what you do there we be some out cry. I recommend to do what you believe is best for all of our resources.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

the simplest thing would be to pull back to a 2 hour demo. there is no reason they can't do 2 or 3 rounds, even while learning.

that could allow me to do a 2 hr event, a 4 hr, then another 2 and another 4. but it means we have to 'man' the tables 24/7 again which is a hard task..

hmm, I'll think about it. I don't have to be the FIRST one to enter events. I just have to do it by 2/8ish.
jbarron81
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a crazy idea for a game, honesty not sure if it would work or not. Would anyone be interested in playing me in a 30 health sealed army, but you can bring three times the normal amount of dragons for your army. Also Dragon summon spells cost half as much mana, rounded up. Dragons have half health rounded down and do half damage rounded down. Gen Con is the only time I see anyone playing Dragon Dice™ so this is my one time of year I'd get to ask.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our initial event ticket sales are off to a great start!

The annual championship event has sold out, but if you want to play in it, come by and we will do our best to accommodate you!
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To pre-answer the question. "Why don't we just increase the number of participants for that event?" We are confined to limited space and there are two other events also scheduled at that time. I don't want to remove either of those from the system or reduce their maximum number, but I do not expect both of them to also be at capacity. So those with an official ticket will get in first and then we will fill seats based on arrival time.
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 am GMT    Post subject: GenCon Events Reply with quote

Hi Cliff,
Could you run an "informal" event at GenCon? By "informal", I mean an event you could put on at the back half of a 4-hour slot (where the 4-hour event is likely to be over by that time, anyway). It would not be listed in the GenCon program, but you could list one or more of them on this forum, or have an "Event Board" at the SFR booth during the show and let the "faithful" know when they could swing by the tables for some gaming.

The "informal event" would cater to the familiar/experienced players looking to get in some additional games at the show. It could be a scenario game (such as the "Battle of 5 Armies"), a "scratch game" using a specific format (like Single Race), or something new like a playtest session (such as Campaigns of Esfah).

The "Informal event" could be a free event or cost a generic ticket.

One aspect you pointed out was having personal to run it. If I'm doing one of those 4-hour slots, I wouldn't have a problem putting on an "informal event" at the 2-hour mark.
Battlefest Champion: DEXCON 2008, 2011, GENCON 2009, 2010 (co-champion), 2011, 2017)
"No Magicians": GENCON 2008
"Single Race": DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2014 (co-champion), 2017
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:35 am GMT    Post subject: Re: GenCon Events Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:
Hi Cliff,
Could you run an "informal" event at GenCon? By "informal", I mean an event you could put on at the back half of a 4-hour slot (where the 4-hour event is likely to be over by that time, anyway).

Not officially. If Gencon found out about it they'd probably slap our hands pretty hard.

Gencon is the most 'lawful' of any convention I've ever gone to. So, all events are supposed to go through their system, all table space assigned by them, etc. If I didn't need four hours for an event, they would not allow us to reserve four hours the next year. So 'the company' can't really do this.

However, if you wanted to try to arrange something as an individual player. I don't think they could stop you or would even notice.
shepdog69
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember. For the championship, can we bring Dragonkn, magic items and/or minor terrains?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can bring any legal dice for the World's Championship.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: