SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo Rules

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dead_mike
dragonsteed

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:43 am GMT    Post subject: Demo Rules Reply with quote

There is a discussion in the Reps Forum about a revised version of the Demo Rules in the works, and I was just wondering what state they are currently in. Also, are the current Demo Rules the same as the Basic Rules? And if not, where do I find the current Demo Rules (I can only find the Basic Rules and Advanced Rules on the SFR site)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Demo Rules Reply with quote

dead_mike wrote:
There is a discussion in the Reps Forum about a revised version of the Demo Rules in the works, and I was just wondering what state they are currently in. Also, are the current Demo Rules the same as the Basic Rules? And if not, where do I find the current Demo Rules (I can only find the Basic Rules and Advanced Rules on the SFR site)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

the link to the demo rules seems to be missing from teh website, does anyone have it handy?

The demo rules are basically a subset of the basic rules. Dice are considered colorless (and thus raceless), no routing, simplified spell list, no racial abilities, etc..

a simpler version of the rules to help people get through their first game, then those things are added back in once they have the basics down.
Armin
dragonmount

germany.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at

http://www.sfr-inc.com/docs/demorules2.pdf
dead_mike
dragonsteed

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys! Smile

Mike
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the old rules. The new rules to go with the racial starters are here
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so people know- a racial starter (at least at this point) will consist of a 24h army of 2 rares, 5 uncommons, and 8 commons selected randomly, plus two terrains (one "preferred" terrain to the race and one random) and one dragon that matches one of the races colors. (No secrets here-this has been discussed on other threads, but I thought I'd add it here for ease of use). I've made up a few of my own for demo purposes. There will be no monsters in the racial starters.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dead_mike
dragonsteed

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the store I am running the demo at doesn't have any racial starters, should I still try and use the racial starter demo rules as written, or should I try to combine the new demo rules with the old ones? For example, if somebody is rolling for magic with 3 or 4 different races, it may be confusing (and inneffective) to have to stick to the racial spell lists. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
dead_mike
dragonsteed

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDiceRC wrote:
a racial starter will consist of a 24h army of 2 rares, 5 uncommons, and 8 commons

I should also point out that the new Demo Rules tell you to separte your dice into armies of: 2 Rares, 4 Uncommons, and 9 Commons which doesn't seem to mesh with the racial starter contents.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rules must be working with the current starter setup, which is 23h broken down as listed. But I'll let someone else who knows better comment definitively.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
koslowj
common
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo rules (unfortunately) have a mixture of old (mixed starter) and new (racial starter) ideas. We also realized that the descriptions of the spells aren't on there. Looks like we've got some work to do to clean them up.

For now, I'd suggest counting all magic as colorless and letting them cast any of the spells if you're using a mixed starter.
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I would suggest is adding a description of the SAI effects.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeD wrote:
One other thing I would suggest is adding a description of the SAI effects.
Normally SAI's are one of the things we DONT do during a demo... perhaps an 'advanced' demo sheet?
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get rid of the different 8th face effects and just make 8th faces double maneuvers and saves.

Scott C
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing Cliff's and Scott's comments, I think we may be migrating toward set of truly Demo rules which allow the flavor of the game to be described in 15 minutes or less (these rules would not be given to players but used only by the Demo Staff and Store Reps). Next is a set of Beginner's rules which could be used in Novice Tournaments where 8th face effects, SAI's, and some simple magic rules could be used (These could be included with the Racial Starters sets). Then the intermediate rules could be the advanced rules minus specific items (the subtracted items would be annotated in the advanced rules as well as being mentioned in the intermediate tournament announcement). Finally, there would be the no-holds barred Advanced Rules for those brave enough to try the Nationals and Worlds Mr. Green .
I think this sums up the situation as I see it developing, any comments and suggestions are welcome.
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Intermediate and Advanced rules could be combined into one document, with the Advanced rules put into highlighted boxes or otherwise set apart. One CCG I play has a single rulebook for its Basic and Advanced games, with all the Advanced rules in gray boxes. This might be easier than having two separate documents, since any time changes were made to the rules they could be done once.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: