SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spell cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Spell cards Reply with quote

I've been working on modernizing spell card layouts and would appreciate feedback from the community on these examples. The objective is a mix of the spell cards provided in the Dragon Shield boxes of yesteryear, blending with some modern flair, plus a description card.
NOTE: All art is either from Dragon Dice™ products or confirmed modifiable and commercially reusable open source.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47ee327z3zq7b2w/AAC5lRhqM8WfJq9osnXn04eJa?dl=0

Last edited by virtualflesh on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:35 pm GMT; edited 2 times in total
bluewizard
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

They look good and will be helpful.

What size are you going to make the cards? The same size as a business card or a normal player card size or other? I am a big fan of normal playing card size.

I would spell out DUA, RA, etc on the cards if possible. They are more friendly to newer players when they are spelled out. The large number of acronyms can be a turn off to people trying to learn the game.

The little Origin box is neat but I am more of a fan of spelling the spells items out more on the card. It appears there is enough space. Mostly easier for people to parse. We have a LOT of symbols already so being able to reduce the learning curve is always good.

I might even think about saying Target: Instead of the plus with the circle around it. Same reasons as above.

These are my opinions only.

I really like what you are doing here. I would love to get my hands on a set of these. I realize they are an amazing amount of work to do and then I hope update as we update the rules.

What tools are you using to create these? You have a lot more skill than I!
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Appealing, useful things for veterans and new players alike is the objective.

The idea of removing acronyms is brilliant. It's a simple change and the additional space use is minimal. Despite symbols aplenty, I believe the eye and brain consume symbols more easily than words. The intent is quick data consumption at game transitions. I intend to modify the spell characteristics box (above the image) with more meaningful symbols as opposed to letters.

Card Maker is used for the layout design (https://github.com/nhmkdev/cardmaker). Open source and designer-friendly. The layout objective is playing card size. It best suits the sleeve mass market.
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Spell Card Feedback Reply with quote

I've always been impressed at the home-made play-aids created, improvised, or generated in lavish details - from the crude & simple to the stylish. I've just finished working on my own updated set of spell cards and SAI effects for the new 3.0.3 rules using Powerpoint. Since they are a similar size to business cards, I use abbreviations and icons/symbols to allow for larger font size for the descriptions.

Your spell cards look great and stay true to the original artistic style of the TSR Dragon Dice™ spell cards.
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, 2017 DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2017, co-champion 2014)
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the feedback. The driver behind these cards is a video series I'm producing. As I made my way to explaining magic actions, I had great difficulty in the visualization layout. This card layout greatly simplifies the explanation to help the learning player. Here are some updates. Now starts the search for applicable art on the remaining cards...

Additional feedback is welcome!

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47ee327z3zq7b2w/AAC5lRhqM8WfJq9osnXn04eJa?dl=0

Last edited by virtualflesh on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:33 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cards are very nice and will certainly help players choose what to cast (which is time consuming, often).

Will you release them as Print 'n' play or do you have some other plans?

Danilo
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

danilo wrote:

Likely print and play in 2 formats, PDF and images. The target dpi is 400.
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtualflesh wrote:

Please find the spell cards on dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/47ee327z3zq7b2w/AAC5lRhqM8WfJq9osnXn04eJa?dl=0

NOTE: All art is either from Dragon Dice™ products or confirmed modifiable and commercially reusable open source.
theanimaster
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtualflesh wrote:
danilo wrote:

Is there any particular reason for 400 dpi? For standard home printers 150dpi is sufficient. For higher resolution/laser printers, 300dpi is standard. Anything more is ok, but will be excessive in filesize. Then again, in this day and age, a 124.2MB download takes just seconds Razz Eh, I'm oldschool.

The cards are a great inspiration to many who are looking for aids to get more of their friends engaged in DragonDice. I like the way you use icons -- this is the way to go.

I am working on a new game mat compatible with multiple players and designing spell cards around this. I have larger-sized cards for duration spells (affecting armies) and smaller-sized cards for instant, one-use effects. Working on a number of concepts including circular cards for duration spells so that they can be stacked easily under dice with the spell description out to a side (sort of like a tab).

The problem with me is that I procrastinate a lot. You're already there! Well done !
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
virtualflesh
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

theanimaster wrote:
Is there any particular reason for 400 dpi?

The aim was at the industrial/production market, where 400 dpi targets a balance between unnecessary resolution above discernible pixelation of the modern artwork, and high enough resolution to preserve the "newsprint" character of the scanned art from yesteryear's prints. Eh, I dunno, at least that is my long-winded reason. Maybe it reveals my 1-upmanship nature despite resistance to said excess.

theanimaster wrote:
The cards are a great inspiration to many who are looking for aids to get more of their friends engaged in DragonDice. I like the way you use icons -- this is the way to go.

Thanks!

theanimaster wrote:
I am working on a new game mat compatible with multiple players and designing spell cards around this.

Great! I admire functional community contributions to this game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: