SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GenCon 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 am GMT    Post subject: GenCon 2017 Reply with quote

How did it go for Dragon Dice™? What were the event results?
dburkley
rare
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 pm GMT    Post subject: GenCon 2017 Reply with quote

Hi Shoe,
We missed you this year. I missed 2015 & 2016, and would have missed 2017, but a lucky break enabled me to attend GenCon 50.

I can't comment on all the events held, but I can share what I know about a few of them:

"Learn to Play" Events: These were fairly well attended. I assisted with several of them, and was pleased to see that several players went on to purchase dice and compete in the Novice Events on Friday, and then came back to play Battlefest on Saturday.

"No Magicians": I wanted to play in this event, but I found out that I would make it an odd number (7), so I bowed out. I believe John Monett won this event.

"Single Race": I was able to play in this event with 6 players. Jon Monett won both of his rounds, and I was scheduled to play him in the third round, but he had to leave for another event (as did 2 others) - so I won this event by default with a "bye" round.

"Worlds": Although 6 were signed up before I arrived, 4 were "no shows", leaving Ken Williams, Dan Shapiro, and myself as contenders - so we played round-robin. Ken & I last faced each other in 2014, and this would be our third time crossing paths with essentially the same armies. Ken tweaked his a bit, swapping out the Gold Medallion for an extra 4 points of magicians, which worked well for him, as Firewalker magicians are the most focused on magic across all the races.

I won the Initiative roll and chose the Frontier terrain (Swampland SFR Tower) to cut down on Terrain Flight opportunities. Ken went first, and I got to see his army fight the way it was designed. His magicians fulfill two roles: cast Windwalks and/or Flashfires for the Phoenix army. The Phoenix army shoots to get Seize SAIs, but can melee to get Smites (and the Flashfires give extra rolls - typically 2-3 extra rolls). I was able to out-melee the Phoenix army, but couldn't out-shoot it. I captured an 8th Face and tried to recover my losses, which worked for a while, but he got the better rolls this game and I went down to the last man. One clever tactic Ken used was to use the Flashfires to re-roll dice that rolled IDs - trying to promote a roll that was all SAIs and no normal damage, so the target army doesn't get a save roll.

Ken did not have as easy a game with Dan Shapiro, who had a Goblin/Swampstalker army. The terrain rolls were favorable to Dan, and the Swampstalker racial ability nailed some of the Firewalker magicians in Reserve. Dan captured an 8th Face and hung on for the 2-point win.

The third match was basically a "KingMaker" match for me. The best I can do is 2nd place, leaving Ken in 1st place if I win, and if I lose, Dan takes 1st place.

I'm not a political player, so I play my game to win, and if Dan defeats me, he deserves the title. I lose the Initiative roll, so Dan decides to go first (since two swamplands are candidates at the Frontier). The terrain rolls are not so favorable for Dan, however, and the diversified nature of my army starts to offer me small advantages: The Unicorn reliable rolls maneuvers during every counter-maneuver roll, the Gold Medallion gets its Wayfare SAI, allowing me to shift a unit with it to where the "main event" is, and the army gets a good melee roll when I need it, thanks to the Leopard Riders and the Troll. I go on to win the match and congratulate Ken on his 3rd(?) title win.

"Battlefest": 12 contestants! Now we're talkin'! This event went for 4 rounds, and after the dust settled, it was a 3-way tie for first (myself, John, Alex). Lots of different and creative armies, and I like being able to throw in a few extra dice I don't normally use to see how they work. First round I played against Cliff. I've never beaten Cliff, but we frequently tie. He had an all-blue Eldarim Champion army with a couple of Medallions - very intimidating. I attack and play by his rules and get smacked silly for it, so I retreat to recover and he captured my Home terrain. Took me most of the game to set-up the move to dislodge him, but it works as time runs out - and its a draw again, but always a fun game with Cliff. Ran into John's Lava Elves/Frostwing all-mage army and got in a good 1st turn hit with 3 Dragons for 30 points that forced him to recover for most of the game, but it settled down to a draw - always an intense game with John. Had a couple of nice matches against the new players and we swapped strategies, as they were amazed at such a diverse army (Eldarim, Firewalkers, Goblins, Lava Elves, Treefolk, a Medallion and a Dragon Staff) and some of the crazy things it could do. I look forward to playing them again.
Battlefest Champion (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2009, 2011, co-champion GENCON 2010, 2017 DEXCON 2011)
"No Magicians" (GENCON 2008)
"Single Race" (DEXCON 2008, GENCON 2010, 2011, 2017, co-champion 2014)

Last edited by dburkley on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:23 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thanks for the recap! Bummer that Worlds was so small, but Battlefest sounds like it was it's typical blast. Unfortunately I had another commitment that I just could not get out of this year. Hopefully I can attend next year.

Shoe
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:30 am GMT    Post subject: Re: GenCon 2017 Reply with quote

dburkley wrote:
First round I played against Cliff. I've never beaten Cliff, but we frequently tie. He had an all-blue Eldarim Champion army with a couple of Medallions - very intimidating. I attack and play by his rules and get smacked silly for it, so I retreat to recover and he captured my Home terrain. Took me most of the game to set-up the move to dislodge him, but it works as time runs out - and its a draw again, but always a fun game with Cliff.

Embarassed You make me blush, sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Conventions & Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: