SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Races For Esfah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:47 am GMT    Post subject: New Races For Esfah Reply with quote

So I was reading the "Gnomes" section on the game variations, namely a comment about how 3-color races don't seem to work, them become muddy etc.

I was thinking it would be cool to see more races appear in the game (I mean, who wouldn't?) I was thinking about the colors and looking through dice when I though about the possibility of element focused races. Instead of a race being an even mix of 2 colors, they would be primarily 1 color, with a splash of a secondary, somewhat similar in appearance to eldarim, but the secondary color would be used instead of the white/ivory, and slightmy more pronounced, and the main color would be a slightly different tint in comparison to the original bi-color race, with a different ink color to better differentiate the races.

I was thinking that this would open up the possibility to many more races, across all 5 elements that would leave space for 16 new races.

here is a possibility of a race that could exist --

Cairog (Insectile)

an insectile race that lives beneath the surface, this races invasion into dwarven territory puts them at constant odds with the dwarves.

colors: primary Gold, secondary red.
racial abilities:
Doubling magic: golden preference only allows Cairogs to double gold magic.

Swarm Tactics: whenever a cairog is sent to the DUA, it may attempt to roll an ID save. If it does, send it to the reserve area instead.

Tunneling: Cairog may count melee as maneuvers at highland terrains.

Classes
Melee:
Missle:
Light calvalry: insects primarily based on flight.
Heavy Calvalry: Primarily based on heavy insects.
Magic:

all units feature less common melee, but with higher icon amounts on those melee.
missle, maneuver and saves are all lower, but even in number.

I may opt to expand on this race at a later time, just thought I'd throw my ramblings up on the forum. Mr. Green
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 am GMT    Post subject: Re: New Races For Esfah Reply with quote

Aravynn wrote:

Instead of a race being an even mix of 2 colors, they would be primarily 1 color, with a splash of a secondary, somewhat similar in appearance to eldarim, but the secondary color would be used instead of the white/ivory, and slightmy more pronounced, and the main color would be a slightly different tint in comparison to the original bi-color race, with a different ink color to better differentiate the races.

I don't want to squash creativity, but I do want to share some of the things we've learned about the production process.

Over the last ten years we've had terrains that came out speckled. We've had the muddy dwarves, and we've had really dark lava elves. In all that time, the color and ratio were exactly the same. What I've learned is that the process is just too unpredictable and no amount of complaining has been able to fix it.

Also, there are 7 colors that we have access to (brown is the unused one). Any color CAN be made, but there is a minimum amount required for them to do that and we can't order a 10th of the amount required (and with the first point, couldn't predict the color anyway).

other wise I think it is a very creative idea!
Aravynn
common

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed... I do notice among my dice that color variations occur, sometimes rather dramatically. I really don't know very much about the production process, I imagine its somrthing along the lines of plastic pellets fed into a melter then injection molded or something like that, my idea was the consideration of doubling color A. Of course if they can't get a 1:1 ratio right.... who knows Laughing

of course, you could always start making creatures on these... Laughing

[/img]
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the old 5 sided die. I've got a few of those laying around.

The current process is more like pellets of color that get mixed together and then are compression molded (so just pour into the mold and smash it together and apply heat).

so the size of pellets, how much of each they put in the bucket. how well it is mixed together, how much time and heat are applied. all go together to affect the final product.

and over time the companies that produce the plastic pellets can vary their process and color.

We know that consistency can be done, but it's hard for small companies to 'require' it. For a small company it is more like: "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible Monolith Laughing
D341Jerman
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I love the idea of an insectoid race! That could be really fun.

I had an idea for making a set of wooden dice, making them shinto themed. I kind of botched a test of one using a soldering iron on a 16mm wooden die, but I've always thought that tapping into mythology (like what was done with the Amazons) would be fun. The Shinto themed wooden dice were tentatively focused primarily on Kitsune mythology.

That being said, I had an idea once for an Amazon army done on black (Death) and calling them Valkyries. I tried once to dremel a common Amazon onto a black blank die (giving it a Fly icon instead of a normal Maneuver) but I lack the technical capability and artistic capability to create anything by hand that has the detail of SFR dice, so I never went beyond that one sloppy-looking die, ha.

Another idea I was playing with were single-element golems or elementals done on six-sided dice. I have a couple around here somewhere. When I find them, I'll take pictures.

Just ideas.
tawhaki

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

there could also be a race which chooses 1 colour of magic at the beginning of their turn every turn, and can only case that colour for the rest of the turn. Or a sort of "bizarro amazon" race that only casts magic of the colours not at the terrain i.e. if they are at a swamplands they can only cast blue and red.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: