SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WIP] Dragon Dice™ - Quest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: [WIP] Dragon Dice™ - Quest Reply with quote

Comments, ideas, and suggestions welcome!

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ABnrJ%5F9jtIRLY1Y&cid=9B0EEEEC7298BAF5&id=9B0EEEEC7298BAF5%2111858&parId=9B0EEEEC7298BAF5%2111857&o=OneUp

Edited by Mod so that link appears as a link...
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated! Feel free to jump in with ideas or feedback. That's what keeps me motivated!
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

love it, have worked on a similar system in the past. Always thought DD would make an excellent replacement for the standard dungeons and dragons dice sets. Cool
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading your rules, would suggest that characters be only made up of the 6 sided dice and be allowed to add appropriately colored weapons (the 4 sided item dice). Monster dice and dragons should be the GMs characters, to which they could add item dice for more challenging foes. You could even have "affiliation" rules where meeting "same race" monsters gives the characters a better chance of avoiding conflict, while meeting "opposing colored" monsters may lead to immediate conflict. Same race monsters may even help the character fight against opposing colored monsters. Just some thoughts off the top of my head. I'm sure I wrote down my ideas somewhere...if you are still interested, I can try to find them and post the files somewhere. Your name sounds familiar, you aren't one of the players I know of in Portland , Oregon are you?
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM should also have access to 6 sided dice...that way, for example, your 5 point elf (combo of d6 and d4 dice) could face off against 4 or 5 zombies, or 2 skeletons each armed with a flicker foil (which you may collect as booty if you win the battle). OMG , a system using these dice brings up endless possibilities! Cool
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would also recommend that character level directly coinsides with point value of d6's . IE..a level 1 character consists of a 1 hp di....that could be equipped with speed slippers, magi ring, flicker foil, heart seeker, and buckler(max of 1 item of each class in use at any time)...provided he won those from foes or purchased/traded for them in towns. A character should consist of no more than 5 d6's (therefore max level would be 15...5- 3hp dice), could still be mighty powerful with artifacts and items and maybe a friendly monster companion (of which he should only be allowed 1 max).....oh you have my mind reeling now....lol P.S> this would mean a maxed out , 15th level character could have 5 artifacts and a monster companion....could take many interesting adventures to get to that level, but would be a blast for a dedicated group of adventurers.
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eggsaladsandwich Thanks for the replies! Let me go over them briefly:

>Your name sounds familiar, you aren't one of the players I know of in Portland , Oregon are you?

I'm in Vancouver, WA but yes, we've met in Portland at PAX in the past. I don't know if there are any players left in this region, as I kind of fell off the map.

>would suggest that characters be only made up of the 6 sided dice and be allowed to add appropriately colored weapons

Weapons are planned inclusions down the road. For now, I want to get the base system sorted out. I have two different options for Monster dice, but they won't remain "normal" dice for characters. I will add the modified rules once I have a chance to full codify them.

>Monster dice and dragons should be the GMs characters, to which they could add item dice for more challenging foes.

Already in the works.

>Would also recommend that character level directly coinsides with point value of d6's . IE..a level 1 character consists of a 1 hp die

I nixed this idea early in design. I get the desire to keep parity with the skirmish game, but having a single die for effects means you have complete randomness when it comes to actions. Starting with five dice means you have a better likelihood of rolling usable results on any given action, and it smooths the randomness.

>A character should consist of no more than 5 d6's

I have no plans to limit the number of dice a character gains through levels. Currently, I am balancing the desire for large dice (to get SAIs) with the resilience of keeping several smaller dice through Exhaustion. If you want a level 9 character that uses only 1-point dice, more power to you!
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Would also recommend that character level directly coinsides with point value of d6's . IE..a level 1 character consists of a 1 hp die

I nixed this idea early in design. I get the desire to keep parity with the skirmish game, but having a single die for effects means you have complete randomness when it comes to actions. Starting with five dice means you have a better likelihood of rolling usable results on any given action, and it smooths the randomness.

This could easily be rectified by stating that level 1 characters (who should be more random in actions) be allowed say 2 level 1 items of their choice, which may be removed from play as damage so, in effect , a level 1 character would be able to take 3 damage before being "knocked out" (call it an inheritance from their families...lol).

Last edited by eggsaladsandwich on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:33 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you have sparked my desire to design a D&D hybrid game using Dragon Dice™ so I am hosting a developmental game night on meetup if you are interested. check it out at https://www.meetup.com/West-Linn-Board-Gamers-Meetup-Group/events/249381377/
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated!

Added Equipment Dice, removed 10-sided Character Dice (for now), adjusted Racial abilities, and added 8th-Face effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dragon Dice: Quest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: