SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting into new stores/Rep Program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reeser60504
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Getting into new stores/Rep Program Reply with quote

Years ago, I initially got into DD b/c my FLGS (The Wandering Dragon) in Plainfield (suburban Chicago), Illinois had a demo or two and then I started buying more dice on eBay and kickers here and there as I encountered them.

Wandering Dragon had an extensive assortment of DD stuff to start, and even a massive bowl of loose dice (looking back, while I'm sure there wasn't anything of great value, I'd probably have some better rounded races and types). DD never really took off there. My own work schedule didn't permit game luxury time and I'm sure as happens in a game store, the owner eventually went on to sell the "next" thing (nature of our particular beast of a hobby). There weren't a base of people to sustain it (feel free to define sustain as you see fit). Eventually, the bowl went away as did the inventory and while I haven't been there within the last few months, I'd guess there are no DD to be found.

For other reasons, there is now a new game store in Shorewood, IL. Consider it suburban Plainfield (even further south). These guys are (right now) all about inclusion. You want to play in their MTG league - people are posting everyday about hooking up for it. You want to start a regular group for X game? "Bring it on!" They say. My life generally now would permit me to float a game there with some regularity, but I don't know how to do about it. I'm also not 100% sure that I'd be fully comfortable teaching it yet. I'd be sure to try to get on their calendar, but how do we move that ball in a store that's motivated to improve its customer base.

I'm going to float a couple pictures out to their FB book page of a game in progress from my house to say "hey, here's this awesome thing".

What can DD do to help me and what can I do in turn to help DD?

Thanks.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard discussion for any game.

From the store owner's point of view, they are a 'for profit' business. Thus they spend their available cash to stock the products which they can then most quickly turn back into even more available cash. Anything that doesn't sell in a timely fashion is going to be sold off cheap and never bought again.

What can we do as players is help that process to happen. Help the store owner make a profit. Some suggestions are:
buy your dice from the FLGS
play games in the FLGS where other players will see and start playing
encourage those players to buy from the FLGS
Continue to play in the FLGS so people don't drift away from the game
Organize events, tournaments, etc. to keep people interested.

players and store owners are fickle and if you leave them alone too long they will go find the next shiny object.
reeser60504
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am GMT    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

I agree with everything in your response.

What I should have asked is what tools does SFR have to help me organize events and tournaments in a store.

If I'm introducing it to player who have never played before, sure, I happen to have enough dice to "loan" to newbies for Coral, Lava, Dwarf and Goblin, but what are the builds for those armies?

What should I be handing out to the players in terms of rules and player aids?

The store in question is unlikely to have any DD in store. What do I put in their hands to direct someone to SFR to get product into the store?

If I'm running a tournament, are there prizes? What prizes?

It would be great to time an event or two ahead of the KS.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago when Wandering Dragon was first starting and highlighting Dragon Diceâ„¢, I showed up there and did a day of demos and tournaments. Given the distance from Evanston, it was very hard for me to get out there. Thought I had a more local "champion" for running demos and tournaments, but he dropped out of touch. Thus the downward spiral.

I could make a trip to Shorewood and meet up with you. Be happy to demo to you, and to show you how to demo. My schedule is pretty crazy, the next Saturday I have free is June 16. PM me and we can see what we can do together.

BTW, if you want any product, if I bring it on that trip, shipping will be "free".
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a game store that opened up near me recently. I would love to have Dragon Diceâ„¢ carried locally and also to have players to play with. Also, the store has encouraged us local players to play in their store.

My time is limited, but I'm hoping when I have more gaming time to be a committed rep to try to meet there with friends and play Dragon Diceâ„¢. I'm thinking sealed tournaments because it won't be stale like doing the same sample army everytime, and it'll be more balanced and easier to jump in than any constructed format, at least until I have a player base.

To begin, I'll do "simulated" sealed packs. I have an Excel spreadsheet that'll randomly generate 3 kickers for every race. Then I'll pull from my collection to make those "sealed" pulls for people to build armies and play with. This unfortunately requires a lot of dice and won't work for everyone. I can support most combinations for most races at least. When the kickstarter for swamp stalkers begins, I hope to round out my collection further for this purpose.

If we get to doing this consistently, and players are interested, I want to get the game store to carry Dragon Diceâ„¢ and then we can buy their kickers for tournaments. And I can but my dice from them directly to further support them.

TL;DR I'm in a similar opportunity and want to try using my collection to start an active player base at our game store by loaning dice. Eventually leading towards the store carrying dice with a player base to start buying it.
reeser60504
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm GMT    Post subject: So... Reply with quote

Chuck...totally get what you're saying about that drive to the Dragon. Had my lifestyle been different then, I could have helped support the Dragon with regular get-togethers. Now, my work-life would permit such a relationship with Paper & Plastic Games in Shorewood (that's the store). I have to check my availability, but I'd totally be down to meet up and see how to "roll".

As for Dolus' suggestion, I think that I'd have a sufficient units of the original four races to provide some support to get things going.

Cleaning house for graduation party. More to come...

Thanks Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> SFR Operations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: