SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kings Die?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL1EN
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Kings Die? Reply with quote

So, Did I miss it, or are there no rules for the King's Die in the new rule set?
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didnt miss it. The King's Die has earned the distinction of being the first die to be unsupported in v 4.0
AL1EN
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well that stinks! Any reason why? There's got to be thousands of them out there, and Chuck Pint can't possibly own them all Laughing
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL1EN wrote:
...well that stinks! Any reason why? There's got to be thousands of them out there, and Chuck Pint can't possibly own them all Laughing

You hit the nail on the head for exactly why it was allowed to be removed and it wasn't an easy decision. We could have easily allowed it to remain as a vestigial tail and drag it along forever serving no purpose. We went another way and I know people won't agree with this, but here are my views for why I did not fight it happening.

There should be atleast 5 thousand of them minimum, probably more but where are they? Buried in someones storage as a childhood toy and forgotten about? Thrown away and in a landfill? Those essentially don't exist.

I challenge 10 new players to go get one right now. It just can't be done. Ebay is your only option and if people start buying them it'll drive the cost up. There is not a large pile of unsold just sitting around anywhere.

Realize this is a promotional die that was produced one time in the last 90's. Over 20 years ago. One printing before the players we are trying to attract were even born. It was never intended to become a long term part of the game extended to every race.

SFR has looked at this die a lot over the last decade. We've tried to expand it, extend it, justify reprinting it. There is no profit in that. As a company we'd lose money. If we made more dice like this for other races, it's even more of a loss. Dice are expensive and the price we'd have to charge for them doesn't make sense. So there are no plans to reprint the kings die. i.e. there won't be more in the future.

We've changed the rules for it a few times. No one ever used it. So imagine that we did come up with a super cool rule for it and it was desirable. Only older players would have them. newer players would feel like they couldn't compete. They'd ask why we don't sell it. Why did we make it a must have die when only the old people could get it. That doesn't attract new players and we need new players or we die.

Every other die that is in the rule book is available to be purchased from SFR today. This one is not.

I think the royalty concept can work, but not with the kings die. It was designed as a one-shot promo and not with a long term vision to fit into the game as a whole.

I view this as a horticulture analogy. we had to prune the tree back to allow for new growth.
AL1EN
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah!!! Has it really been that long?!? God, I'm OLD. Time flies when you're playing Dragon Diceâ„¢... Wink Excellent points, of course. Thanks for the explanation. Guess my King's Dies will just have to sit in their 8th face Towers, watching the battles rage...
MikeD
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been playing Dragon Diceâ„¢ since 1996, I have to agree about no longer using the King's Die. While the die itself is beautiful and was kinda useful with the first 4 races and Amazons, once additional races came out, the die became pretty much a waste of 4 points in your army construction. If royal dice are done in the future, there must be a plan to keep them relevant for the long term. I guess I'll put mine up on the shelf next to my collection of Big Greenie dice.

Later,
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AL1EN
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sometimes we play with just the "original" races - some friends don't have tons of dice like I do. We can always keep a "house rule" for the King's Die in those games.
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL1EN wrote:
Yeah, sometimes we play with just the "original" races - some friends don't have tons of dice like I do. We can always keep a "house rule" for the King's Die in those games.

Are you and your friends on the Dragon Diceâ„¢ Players Community Facebook page? Theres a lot of like-minded people there as well as here.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post the Kings' Die rules in the next post here. You can use those as a house rule if you like. The 3.x rules are going to get taken down from our website. So this will be the only place the Kings' Die rules will be archived.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kings’ Die
AmazonCoral ElfDwarfGoblinLava ElfTSR

The Kings' die, also called a Royalty Die, is a 4-health unit that is put into your reserves during the Assemble Armies step. Only one Kings’ Die is allowed in a player’s forces. The five sides of the die depict kings ruling the first five races in the Dragon Dice™ game.
The Kings’ Die may never leave the reserves, may not be attacked or targeted by any spell or effect, and may not take damage.
The Kings' Die may not be rolled with an army.
The Kings' Die may hold an item of any color.
The Kings' Die is killed if a player has no other units in play.
During the Royalty die step of the Initial Effects phase, if a player’s forces include a Kings’ Die, they may do one of the following:
• Recruit a one health unit from your Dead Unit Area to your Reserve Army.
• Promote one unit in your Reserve Army.
• Roll the Kings’ Die. You may recruit or promote up to four health-worth of units that match the race that is rolled. If the SFR/TSR Logo is rolled the four health-worth may be from one or more races in any combination the owner wishes. You may recruit any size unit.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
paulvonscott
dragonmount

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely loved the King's Die, and was over the moon to get one, though I was never sure how useful it really was to me.

But I agree it's a bit of an oddity in the game as it stands, it doesn't cover all races and is not accessible to everyone. So I have no argument about its removal from the excellent 4th edition rules.

However, I still insist the King is not dead, but merely sleeping, and that one day, when Esfah is in dire need, he will return...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Rules Discussion - 4.0 and Later All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: