SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing a Dragon Diceā„¢ book for Nanowrimo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Writing a Dragon Diceā„¢ book for Nanowrimo Reply with quote

I don't usually write derivative or fanfic style works... but I've begun a story for this years NaNoWriMo challenge called From the Ashes of Esfah.

I write... a lot. I've got a few series that I write and publish (mostly SF/F) and of course, understanding that this is a trademarked property, I am intending to change the trademarked elements in a later draft unless SFR expresses an interest.

My main reason for posting (besides sharing a project that I'm super excited about) is to find some people who might want to either give it a read as a beta reader or find folks who can be a resource on finer points of Esfah culture and geography in case i run into any snags (I did a bunch of research and outlined the story and characters a few months before beginning the project and I'm already over 15,000 words since thursday! That's like 50 pages).

check out the sample:
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/authorchristopherdschmitz/novels/from-the-ashes-of-esfah
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find a few people that hang out here that would be willing to help you out with this project. Steve Braun is most likely our expert on Esfah.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like an awesome idea.
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they covered this in Cast of Fate, but dont have a copy anymore... what is the predominate skin color of lava elves?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Their skin as red as hot iron".

PM me your address, I'll send you a copy of Cast of Fate.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Chuck! is there any other resource for the other races as I write this? Dwarves are easy, and the main protagonist is a dwarf, but he has interaction with many other races (such as amazons).
PM on the way
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the booklets that came with the Shield, and Battle Mats? Let me get together a entire set of all the rules, booklets, and other loose paper that came with all the TSR products. I'll throw all those into the box with the novel.
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also summaries of the races in the Dice Commander's Manual. If you dont have one, there is a scan of the book in the forums.
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a ton, guys! I really appreciate it...

the wheels are turning and I'm thinking I might add some small items to give it some unique litrpg features between chapters
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question for one of my subplots. Do The Troggs have any sort of pets? My adventures in counter a farmer who mentions in passing that his flock has been harried by there animals. It foreshadows a later Trogā„¢ attack... if not, no worries I can make something out. What would you suggest for them to keep
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

christopherdschmitz wrote:
Quick question for one of my subplots. Do The Troggs have any sort of pets? My adventures in counter a farmer who mentions in passing that his flock has been harried by there animals. It foreshadows a later Trogā„¢ā„¢ attack... if not, no worries I can make something out. What would you suggest for them to keep

There are Wolfriders, wardog riders and Leopard Riders, so they could be considered pets
christopherdschmitz
dragonfoal

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I'm writing a flashback scene to an epic battle between a few heroes of old (my main villain is a reanimated undead who's primary desire--besides destroying all of Esfah--is to reanimate the corpse of his long lost love... it's quite tragic really.)
Anyways, I'm referencing a firewalker character... is there another name for their race? lava elves=Morehl™, coral elves=Selumari™, dwarves=Vagha™, and goblins=Trogs™... are there any other race names I ought be aware of? those sorts of tags really help keep the worldbuilding elements high
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

christopherdschmitz wrote:
so I'm writing a flashback scene to an epic battle between a few heroes of old (my main villain is a reanimated undead who's primary desire--besides destroying all of Esfah--is to reanimate the corpse of his long lost love... it's quite tragic really.)
Anyways, I'm referencing a firewalker character... is there another name for their race? lava elves=Morehl™ā„¢, coral elves=Selumari™ā„¢, dwarves=Vagha™ā„¢, and goblins=Trogs™ā„¢... are there any other race names I ought be aware of? those sorts of tags really help keep the worldbuilding elements high

Somewhere in these forums, i recall seeing a list of the native racial names, though I dont remember who posted it, or how long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Artwork, stories, and other user contributed stuff. All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: