SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall of Fog Confusion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karoath
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Wall of Fog Confusion Reply with quote

I wall of fog is cast on a terrain, is missile damage halved if the army is shooting out of the terrain into another... for example an army is affected y wall of fog at the frontier. The armies shoots into another players home terrain and rolls 12 damage. Is this number halved? The rules state that all missile damage into the affected terrain and all damage at the affected terrain is halved. Is the damage considered to be at the terrain even though the army is shooting into another terrain? My first impression is that the damage is halved, but I find myself with doubts since the damage applies to an army outside of the affected terrain. Anybody know the answer to this one?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets have three armies:

A is at the terrain with Wall of Fog
B is a second army at the terrain with Wall of Fog
C is an army at a different terrain that does not have a Wall of Fog

Army A shoots at Army C, the Wall of Fog halves the results (at)
Army A shoots at Army B, the Wall of Fog halves the results (at)
Army C shoots at Army A (or B), the Wall of Fog halves the results (into)

See examples in the rules on pages 16 (example 4), 17, and 22-23

Basically it's quite simple. The Wall of Fog makes it hard to see into, or at the terrain. So you can't quite target your missiles as well. So every army at the terrain is halved on all missile results, and anyone shooting at an army in the Wall of Fog is halved on all missile results (that the "into" part).
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Arkain
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:10 am GMT    Post subject: Powerful spell... Reply with quote

That's the easiest way to shut down a flatland tower army then... or any archer army someone has.

I was taking it too "literally" in the sense of at a terrain meaning you are firing into only and within that terrain... not out of... I think the italics through me off to. <And it's used against me, so I didn't want it to be either Embarassed even though logistically I was conceding to the point>

I would also assume that affects an armies ability to use maneuvers as saves from all attacks as well.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Powerful spell... Reply with quote

Arkain wrote:
I would also assume that affects an armies ability to use maneuvers as saves from all attacks as well.

Yes, that is shown in the example on pages 22-23 as well.
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Arkain
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:42 am GMT    Post subject: Rules... Reply with quote

Need to read those more closely... Embarassed

The initial WoF question neither of us thought to go to the rule book, silly us. Embarassed

Thanks Chuck for your patience and explaining it.
Autpost
common
Stockholder

latvia.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wall of Fog Casting Cost: 6; Spell List: Basic
Target any terrain. Until the beginning of your next turn, halve all maneuver results at the target terrain,
and all missile damage into or at the target terrain. Multiple castings target multiple terrains.

Since I have translated the spell list into German I have also written a list of FAQs. This was one of them (especially because Dust Devil uses 'out of' instead of 'at').

There is a very similar spell & question:
Quote:
Dust Devil Casting Cost: 3; Spell List: Firewalker
Target any terrain. Until the end of your next turn, halve all missile damage into or out of the target terrain.
Multiple castings target multiple terrains.

'Into or out of' sounds like: The damage is not halved if he is dealt 'within' (In the example above: Army A shoots at Army B at the same terrain) Question I don't know.

Another FAQ: If a (missile or melee) damage is halved, is he rounded down (before he is eventually multiplied)? Yes. (see p22, - Dice Modifiers)

If a terrain is under the effect of Dust Devil and Wall of Fog, then is the damage halved twice? Yes. See p17 (last example)

There is an answer for most questions somewhere in the rules, the problem is that you have to find it. You can try it in this way: There is a search button in the Adobe Reader. Type in the name of the spell/SAI and you have a good chance that you'll find what you are looking for.
Is anyone interested in an extended spell&SAI-pdf-list, where FAQs are added behind each spell and SAI? In this way you can look it up even during a game.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autpost wrote:

Since I have translated the spell list into German I have also written a list of FAQs. This was one of them (especially because Dust Devil uses 'out of' instead of 'at').

There is a very similar spell & question:
Quote:
Dust Devil Casting Cost: 3; Spell List: Firewalker
Target any terrain. Until the end of your next turn, halve all missile damage into or out of the target terrain.
Multiple castings target multiple terrains.

'Into or out of' sounds like: The damage is not halved if he is dealt 'within' (In the example above: Army A shoots at Army B at the same terrain) Question I don't know.

This is different, and this difference was by design. Dust Devil only protects an army if the missiles come from another terrain. If the missiles are coming from the same terrain, it does nothing. Wall of Fog halves missiles from anywhere, but also halves movement.
Arkain
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I search for this first, but just checked bullseye and not other SAI's...

Wall of Fog and a SAI Bullseye, would bullseyes damage be cut in half from wall of fog since it is a missile action?

Just checking.. hope I got one that's not answered already.
koslowj
common
Director

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkain wrote:
Okay, I search for this first, but just checked bullseye and not other SAI's...

Wall of Fog and a SAI Bullseye, would bullseyes damage be cut in half from wall of fog since it is a missile action?

Just checking.. hope I got one that's not answered already.
SAIs cannot be affected by spells, so no the Bullseye would not be affected by the Wall of Fog.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: