SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C/S Dragon Diceā„¢ Guild Saturday Battles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado USA "My dice are higher than your dice!"

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:36 pm GMT    Post subject: C/S Dragon Diceā„¢ Guild Saturday Battles Reply with quote

Format: Straight races - 36 health, no Magestorm items.

Game 1 -
Joe: Treefolk
Martine: Frostwings (Yeah, someone not Joe playing Frosties!)
Art: Undead
Jake: Undead

New players Art and martine got introduced to the Advanced Rules for this game, and took to them with little effort.

Treefolk pretty much ruled the game, but met the most resistance from Martine's Frostwings, who lost their home terrain but kept up annoyances with anti-magic. (For those Frosty lovers out there, Martine pulled a Magi in his 3rd kicker, so it can happen).

Undead more or less fought each other for a while, then both armies went to reserves to recover some lost units. Before they could resurrect too many, the Treefolk Pathed to Victory and captured the Frontier.

Game 2 -
Joe: Treefolk (again)
Stan: Firewalkers
Wes: Swamp Stalkers

Very even armies. Everyone captured at least one terrain, magic and dragons were everywhere, and the Stalkers mutated themselves silly every turn. Firewalkers had the most fun with magic, casting many Mirages and Dancing Lights, and creating lots of chaos and havoc.

Treefolk could counter-maneuver well, but just couldn't roll as well when it was their turn. Green and gold magic were mostly useless except for Stoneskins and dragons, and apparently i can't roll anything but a belly when it comes to the drakes. Lesson learned.

Game called for time, but Treefolk had an 8th and the most living units, so if you want to call that a win, then they won.

Stan also played a game with Wes (Stalkers) and Jag (Feral), which I believe Jag won by also using Path. This also caused some heated discussion. Stan's 'walkers had a TRtM on them, and when Jag maneuvered he rolled 0. Stan's adjusted roll was 0, thus creating a tie which Jag as the acting player won. Stan felt that Jag should have had to roll at least 1 maneuver icon since a roll of 0 is zero! We finally found the reference in the rulebook, but there are still some grumblings to be heard.

Anyway, several great games were played, and we were all depressed that there won't be a meeting this Saturday since Chris, Jake and I will be in Columbus. Just to prove that Dragon Dicers are unusual (but very lovable) people, here's a pic of the group.

Front Row: (L t R) Me and Stan (Firewalker)
Back Row: Chris (RockyMtnGamer), Martine (Martigonza15), James (Jag), Wes, Jake (Magic2Slay) and Derek.

Then we got a little nutty...

Until the next Meetup!

Most people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Majiken on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:22 am GMT; edited 4 times in total
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed your picture for you Joe. BTW, do you want to attach names to the picture?

Yes, Path to Victory is very often won on zero-zero ties. I guess next time Stan will either include some units with SAI maneuvers, or make sure that he has Mages somewhere to cast a Wild Walk or the like on his army!
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:20 pm GMT    Post subject: C/S Dragon Diceā„¢ Guild Tournament! Reply with quote

Okay, not to brag or anything, but the CSDDG got together last night for a wicked series of battles that left everyone exhausted and only one player victorious.

We played Championship Format, and we all had a great time. We had 11 total players show up (I bowed out to judge, since I was providing the prizes), 2 novice players who just wanted to learn the game, and 8 guys ready to duke it out. Check out the pics!

The games begin. Two at each table.

Lots of dice on the table with that many players crowding in. We made a lot of noise until the lousy live music started.

Next set of elimination games begins.

Wes and Jag's playoff game. The Feral were amazingly fast in this game, and the Scalders got some really lousy rolls. Poor Wes got outmaneuvered in 15 minutes.

Final game begins. Rest of the group watches and bets on who will finally emerge the winner. (I was betting on Chris (seated left) and his Amazons / Firewalkers).

Final rolls of last game. While Chris came very close, the Feral ultimately used the familiar Path to Victory to win the game. Martine played the Frosties well, but multiple Lightning Strikes decimated his army and he never recovered. Way to go Jag!

We're already planning the next event. Dragon Diceā„¢ is growing steadily in the high country. Now, the rest of you get to work. If we can do it, so can you! Laughing

Cheers!

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Majiken on Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:01 pm GMT; edited 2 times in total
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, there's something strange about the pictures you posted. They don't seem to show up in the message. But if you click on the picture and do a view image, they show up. If I then clear my cache, they quit showing up. Double check your image storage setting. I think you have some setting that doesn't let your pictures be in another webpage.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Joe, there's something strange about the pictures you posted.

Well, that figures, being I posted them.

Quote:
They don't seem to show up in the message. But if you click on the picture and do a view image, they show up. If I then clear my cache, they quit showing up. Double check your image storage setting. I think you have some setting that doesn't let your pictures be in another webpage.

Tried to fix it. Howzit now? They show up on my 'puter just fine.

Confused

Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, too! Everything's fine with the pics now! But I simply used your link to the CSDDG home page to see the pics Very Happy !

There's just one pic still missing in your post from June 28th (above). Can't get that one shown in here!

The other ones are just fine and big enough! Thanx!

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:11 pm GMT    Post subject: October 15th Meeting Reply with quote

Well, just to make all of you jealous about not having anyone around to play your favorite addiction with, the CSDDG met last night for a round of formatted games in preparation for our next tournament coming up next month. Here's the format we played...

! NO MAGICIANS !
24 health.
No units may be used that possess ANY kind of magic icon. Magic items, minor terrains and 'kin could be used provided your opponent had them as well.

Since these were practice games, we didn't separate into beginners and veterans.

Now here's the part that'll get ya'll steaming. We had 23 people show up ready to roll the bones!

23!

Yeah, I know I'm bragging. Twisted Evil

Lots of different armies were played, some pure, others mixed.

Wes played his favorite combo of Goblins & Scalders and saw mixed results, but the highlight of his evening was in a 3-way game with myself and John. His horde attacked John's Amazons, and the lone leopard-rider in it did an amazing 25 points of damage. That's right, 7 rend rolls and then a 4 melee result. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. Add to that the other melee reults and the poor Amazons were shredded. I don't think I've ever seen steam come out of John's ears before....

I played a quickly-grabbed Frostwing army, including two remorhaz units just so I could take out the troll Wes was using. Never managed to pull that off, but after my horde was down to only two units, I did manage to roll swallow and smite. Just what I had been wanting, and my best roll of the night.

Stan was the overall winner for the evening. His Amazon missile army won an impressive seven straight victories. I was told that Jessica almost walloped him in his last game, and it must be true since he was sweating by the end of the match. Now we just have to figure out how to deal with his army before the tourney...

This was our first meeting at the Panera Bread Company. They were gracious enough to extend an invitation to our group due to our displeasure at how the coffee shop had started treating the members of our ever-growing group. We have the use of a private room (specially reserved for us every Saturday night until end of February next year), and a wonderful assortment of sandwiches (I recommend the roast beef and asiago), and coffee. Great location!

Now to throw salt on the wounds, here's a pic of our group from last night. Hopefully this works...

I'll try to put names to the faces later on. We had several new players show up, so I'm not sure who is who among them. The pic is kind of fuzzy since we used Wes' camera (forgot to bring mine, and it has a better flash). Richard and Heather left before we took this, but we'll get them in the next one, along with the other 7 missing members. Yeah, do the math. Twisted Evil

All in all, a great night of Dragon Diceā„¢, and hopefully the first of many at our new host location!

Cheers!

Laughing

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:07 pm GMT    Post subject: More madness from the Rockies! Reply with quote

Yes, you jealous bunch, we got together again for another rousing series of battles at the Panera Bread Comapny. (No, Chuck, I don't get kickbacks for mentioning them in my posts).

Due to cold and wet weather, we had a smaller attendance, with only 19 making the trip to the south end of the Springs. The folks from Calhan were probably huddling with their farm critters for warmth.

Anyway, I managed to get in 6 games using an all Coral Elf army which did surprisingly well. In every game the storms were thick and units were dropping from multiple lightning strikes. My first game was with Art, who played a goblins with a couple of Dragonlords thrown in. He added a troll for regenerative purposes. Needless to say, the Lords and the troll were the first to get zapped. From then on his save rolls were pretty lousy, and the game was an attrition victory.

Martine challenged me next with Frostwings and a Dragonslayer (what is with these guys using the promo dice?), and things went about the same but didn't take as long. Zap, zap, zap, I win!

Meanwhile, Wes took out his 36h Scalder (18 tender/ 18 singeman), against John's Frostwings. He lost horribly with 0 units remaining. He remade his army into Goblin/Scalders and took his revenge! He took out both remorhazes in one attack with another fantastic roll from the leopard-rider (18 damage this time). You can see them playing against the back wall in the pic below (John is the one standing up, Wes is wearing the ultimate in cool Dragon Diceā„¢ apparel, a Chill Wind t-shirt).

(That's my youngest boy, Joe (age 9 and a Firewalker fanatic), looking at the camera).

Across the room Jamey and Jessica throttled each other with one win each. It wasn't reported what they were playing with., but the games took some time.

Stan played his current favorite of an Amazon missile force, with the usual success. Here he is stomping two other players in his second-to-last game for the night:

He's the old, bald guy in the corner giggling like a loon as he destroyed Amy's last few units.

Art and Martine played two games with one win apiece. Richard, Heather and Jeff also got in 2 three-player games.

The last game of the night was a 3-way with Stan, Wes and me. We were the last ones to leave so got in a good match as they were closing up the place. Stan played Amazons, I kept the Selumari™, and Wes brought his Scalder/Goblin army. My mages reduced Wes' power hitters, sizzling both trolls and a leopard-rider to dust. I regrouped at home and he made a desperate attack, but ended up with only 4h remaining on the board. Stan took the opportunity to missile me hard, and the Selumari™ fell, allowing him to grab his second 8th and the game.

Once again, a night of great games and good time with other dice maniacs. Every Saturday just gets better!

Until next week, cheers from where the air is thin! Laughing

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:32 pm GMT    Post subject: October 29th Meeting Reply with quote

The Guild got together again (like you're really surprised since we do it every week), for some more madness, mayhem, and dice rolling. Oh yeah, the food was pretty good too.

Small turnout this week since Stan got called in to work and a few more went to an Andy Griggs concert, but you can't call 14 players exactly a "small" group.

Anyway, just for fun, I wanted to show off how we've been able to get so many new players. Wes is about the best demonstrator you'll ever find, and in the pic below you can see why. He runs two demo games at once!

Just for fun, here's a few more pics of games in progress...

Sherri, Larry and John set up for their 3-way game. Larry's Feral took this one from her dwarves and John's Undead.

Wes and Jamey play their second game. Wes was getting some really awful rolls. maneuvers when he needed saves, melee when he needed maneuvers, etc. No wonder Jamey grabbed a quick terrain victory.

The most amazing dice roll I've seen. During a game I played with Jamey, he tossed his army and had three of them landed stacked. The picture is cool, so imagine actually seeing this happen! All games came to a stop when everyone came over to take a look.

The only bad thing to happen that night was my faux pas with the girl taking my order. Ask me about it sometime, it's hilarious.

Another report next week! Laughing

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:54 pm GMT    Post subject: CSDDG - November 5th meeting. Reply with quote

Once again the CSDDG met at Panera for another 4 hour dicefest. Format was OPEN for the night, meaning you challenged someone and then figured out what you wanted to play. Many games were played, but only a few highlights stand out, which I'll pass on.

First of all, last week Jamey got really miffed at me for using magic to knock out most of his heavy hitters and "wimp a victory," as he put it. He demanded a rematch of the races we used last time. So this week I made it up to him by not using any magic units, and instead concentrating on a Frostwing missile force.

Why am I looking so smug? I just beat the snot out of him 2 games in a row. He did come back and win the third one, but ya can't win 'em all!

Next we had two new players show up (bring our member total to 32!). Dave and Dan had just aquired the game last week. Dan left early, but Dave stuck around for a few more games, shown below during his last one with Amy. This meeting he had his first taste of the new rules, and he took to them readily.

After Dave left, Amy, Larry, John and Jessica played a 60h game. Larry's Treefolk triumphed. the picture shows their solution to rolling so many dice. Complimentary cups provided by Panera! Hey! Quit looking down Amy's shirt!

Wes and John then got into it, with Wes using his formidable goblins and John flying the Frosties. Shown is Wes getting the second of two amazing rend rolls with his leopard-riders.

John shows just how much he likes Wes' army. "I hate the #%$&@ goblins!" he said.

Last game of the night. This was a team game. Joe (Selumari™) and Stan (Amazons), versus Wes and Jamey both playing goblins. Optional rules got used. We tried flanking from the CWC, and threw in routing for fun.

In the pic below, please note (if you can), the position of the dice. This was just after Jamey made an attempt with his single goblin unit to capture my home terrain (at 7). As you can see, he rolled the ID. I then rolled my army (that bunch of Coral Elves), and also got just one ID! Yup, Jamey's one little guy captured the 8th from an entire army.

The last event from the team game happened just after Stan obliterated Jamey's home army with a massive missile attack from the frontier 8th. Jamey responded by rolling magic and sending a black drake after the 'zons. That wasn't that funny, but his cry of, "Suck balls, evildoers!" brought the house down for more than ten minutes.

Insulted at having had his Amazons called evil, Stan then spent another ten minutes expounding on the grace, virtue and purity of the Amazons as a race. I am not kidding, ten minutes! You'd have thought Jamey had ranked on the man's mother.

Finally, the three Guildmasters were asked to pose for a picture, so there we are. Me, Wes and Stan. Stan is looking at camera, but he's showing the famous military glare once used on erring Privates.

Of course, we than had to show our better side.

Stan and I are wearing Cafe Press shirts, while Wes models the SFR Treefolk shirt. Jealous? Get yours today!
A new report next week!

Laughing

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of weeks since I posted anything Guild related, so I thought it was about time to share some more.

Open format last night, so it was basically challenge someone and decide what you wanted to play. There were several multi-player games played, but it was mostly one on one. I pulled out the Swamp Stalkers, mainly because I'm the only member besides Stan that has any. These days Goblins (especially Wes' combo of Trogā„¢ and Scalders, which he calls, Scobblers), seem to be the most popular race to play, and I'll play anything else just to be different. I started the night off playing three games with Larry, and my rolls were pathetic to say the least. He walloped me every game, gleefully adding to his point total (more on this at the end of the post).

Stan is still in love with his Amazons, and when challenged with Arthur's Lava Elves, started his weekly assault with devestating missile attacks. Somehow Art managed to squeak one victory, but I was told it was a near thing.

After my crushing defeat from Larry's Feral/Goblin combo, John offered to take him down for me. Somehow his all Feral army managed to do what my Stalkers couldn't.

Perhaps the most embarrassing defeat of all. My nine-year old not only beat my Stalkers, but beat them so soundly that he absolutely walked away with the game. The dice were definately not rolling my way last night.

When Brandon challenged me with his Undead I thought that at last I had a chance for some Stalker payback. Come on, Undead against my fast moving Stalkers? I had no doubts until his two black wyrms hit my army for a whopping 33 points. The game was pretty much over by then. I retired the Stalkers until further notice and pulled out my old Frosties. Go with your strengths, that's my motto. Art was the next person to challenge me, and my Frostwings volleyed the Lava Elves two in a row. Redemption was mine!

The last game of the night was a 4-player with Stan, Larry, John and Aimee. Stan and Larry both played Amazons, and John and Aimee used Goblins. You would have thought this was a team game (and probably should have been), but it was a definate free for all. Stan eventually took it by obliterating Larry's home army, despite their having an 8th face. He hit for an amazing 54 points of missile from his home. Larry's home dropped to 7, Stan pathed a single unit and turned it back up for the win.

Panera announced they were closing, which drew our night of dice to a close. Great games, great fun, and great friends all make for a terrific time. Every week just gets better.

Next week's format - SLUGFEST! 36h armies, no 3 or 4 health units allowed. Players must use all 1 and 2 health units for army construction. Magic items, kin and minor terrains allowed, but no artifacts. Single race or combos are players choice.

Now, a little about our point system. Member who attend meetings play for points. You get one point for each victory, 2 points if you beat one of the 3 Guildmasters. When a player gets a certain number of points they are awarded a rank. Example - the first rank of Scout is awarded at 10 points. The next is Sentry at 25 points, Footman at 50, and so on, with all the ranks using names from Dragon Diceā„¢ units. The rank of Guildmaster is achieved when a players gets 1000 points. Quite a challenge that many have eagerly taken up. The certificates we designed for each rank are very nice, and the ranking system has really gotten the players excited.

Until the next report!

Laughing

Majiken
uncommon
Esteemed Author
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 pm GMT    Post subject: - December 10th meeting - Reply with quote

Having been snowed out last weekend, the members of the CSDDG were jonesing for a fresh round of dice rolling. Considering we have a tournament coming up next week, we all needed the practice, especially me. I'm still trying to live down getting stomped on by my own offspring. So we donned our heavy coats and gloves, warmed up the cars and headed for Panera for dinner and dice.

Our format was one we'd never played before. I'm sure the Windy City boys have, but we heard about it somewhere and decided to give it a try. We called it, "Midget Slug-fest." 36 health armies constructed of 1 & 2 health units only. Dragonkin are allowed, but only 1 & 2 h can be summoned. Same with magic items. There was some racial mixing, but for the most part everyone played straight races. Having learned my lesson last week, I played Frosties. Stan, of course, brought his Amazons out to play. First game resulted with the Frosties getting skewered. My evening was off to a great start.

However, before we got started, we presented Johnathan with his first rank.

Only 25 more wins to Sentry! I think Larry will probably get there first. He only needs three more points.

Jake arrived late (he works at a pizza place part-time), and didn't bring his dice, so he borrowed John's Feral and challenged Larry. Game lasted 15 minutes. See what happens when you use somone else's dice, keedo?

Stan arrived late (as usual), and immediately started helping Aimee with her game. Even with the assist she got beaten, but not as badly as she might have if he hadn't given her some pointers. She switched from Dwarves to Frosties after the game.

Someone stuck a quarter in 5tan's ear and put him into high-gear. He showed us his imitation of a "Wussie Frosty with a broken wing." Then he started singing war songs. Did we get some funny looks from the normal people eating dinner outside our room? Oh yeah.

The Brandons continue their series of battles with Frosties and Undead. So far they're running about even.

After destroying Jake, Aimee and both Johns, Larry tried to continue his winning streak by challenging me. Treefolk didn't roll very well and I walked away with the game. Attrition wins are never pretty.

John helped Aimee design her Frostwing army, so the new boys challenged the "old school." Not a bad army, but it still failed to bring in the win. Melee hits wiped them out.

After her defeat by the "old" Frosties (that word got used a lot, probably in reference to my higher hairline), she jumped in with both feet against John and his Feral. Guess the results. You have to feel sorry for the girl, she lives with this guy too.

Larry and Stan finished off the night with a fast-paced game. I watched a little of this one, and it was a brutal game. Larry finally pulled it off with some canny use of magic and distracting Stan with army stories. Then began a long discussion of Army (Larry) versus Air Force (Stan). This conversation carried out into the parking lot after we wrapped things up.

Next week is our last meeting for the year, and we haven't yet decided the format for our tournament. There's talk of a Battlefest, but we'll have to see. I'll report it next week, whatever it is.

Until the next one!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Themed Game Summaries All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: