SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intro game rules

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Intro game rules Reply with quote

I've been toying around with an introductory game that could be played with just a single starter, per Aldo's comments. While it wouldn't really be much of a game overall, it could allow a player with just a single starter to at least try some of the basic mechanics. (And after seeing its limitations, it would hopefully encourage them to buy more dice!) It would essentially be the demo rules for the new starters, with the following alterations:

1) Setup: Divide the dice into two armies: 1 rare, 2 uncommons, 5 commons vs. 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 3 commons. These armies are divided into halves of 6h each in any way the players desire. Each player takes one terrain as their home (terrain colors have no effect). Set the dragon aside; it is not used in the intro game. Place one of your armies at your home and one at your opponent’s home.

2) Game play: Demo rules apply, except for the following:

A. Game is played to one terrain capture. (It could go to two, but that doesn't reflect the normal DD situation of not having to capture everything.)

B. No dragons. (Besides, how likely will it be that, with no doubling, someone with a max of 12h of mixed units at any time will roll 7 pts of magic? Possible, I know, but...)

C. Only the following spells are used: Hailstorm, Spark of Life, Stoneskin, and Palsy. All spells are colorless and are not tied to any particular race. (For the same reason as eliminating dragons, I limited the spell list to 2-3 point spells, with one offensive, one defensive, one healing, and one effect spell.)

D. Each player gets only one march per turn, followed by the reserve phase. (I haven't playtested yet, but two marches would probably give the player who goes first too much of an advantage-not that I don't think they'll have one anyway, but we'll see.)

We might try a few rounds of this while we're sitting at the table at Dreamation next weekend (unless we're overrung with demos, which I would certainly like to see!). Any comments are encouraged.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little background on Steve's note. Aldo is the person that has gotten Dragon Dice™ into distribution and does some marketing for us as well. His suggestion was to make a version of the rules such that a person could buy a single starter, and be able to sit down with someone else and play a game.

Any questions, suggestions, play test results, etc. would be very helpful. We're trying to finalize the starter package now to get racial starters into production. So now is the time to do this.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Autpost
common
Stockholder

latvia.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddicerc wrote:
D. Each player gets only one march per turn, followed by the reserve phase. (I haven't playtested yet, but two marches would probably give the player who goes first too much of an advantage-not that I don't think they'll have one anyway, but we'll see.)

This could lead to the point that they move all units into one army and play even more Canadian style. There is the danger that this may cause boring games.
How about: The player who goes first gets one march during his first turn, and from then on each player has two marches per turn.
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This could lead to the point that they move all units into one army and play even more Canadian style.

Remember that this is an introductory game, using the dice in one starter, and that the only offensive spell available is Hailstorm. If these are the only rules a player ever uses, the game will almost surely be boring in the long run. Even thinking as an expert, it would be very difficult to win a game "Canadian" under those conditions. I don't think absolutely new, novice players will think of trying Canadian at separate terrains, although the game could develop into both armies bunched at one terrain.
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ddicerc
rare
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've tried a few games, and these rules make for a fairly quick and straightforward game. Playing with two players who knew the game well, the games went very fast, and there is a rather large advantage to going first, which can be somewhat alleviated with favorable dice rolls. Still, with new players, who don't have a grasp of advanced strategies and will need time to sort out all the icons, this seems like it could be workable.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: