SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dispel Magic - or - The Curse of the Owl-folk?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firewalker
dragonfoal

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, sure enough. If I had read slower and more carefully you did clarify it. Picked something else out (DD is so coooool. The more you read or play, the more you learn). You address, as does the rule, that only magic that target's the unit/army/terrain can be Dispelled. As my tired old pea brain ponders the games, I am thinking that some have been using DM to dispel any magic. I am going to watch this closely.

I gotta met Joe at the store, I am going to bring this up. And watch the fur fly tonight at the game meet. Boy-o-boy-o-boy!

The Coffemut Firewalking Amazon
Nutin' Better Than Fightin' About DD While Drinkin' A Cup Of Fresh Roasted Joe
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much prefer the summon dragon spell NOT be dispell-able. would like the description to be changed to "target any dragon from any summoning pool or currently at a terrain and send to any terrain, including its current terrain." that way it wouldn't be affected by dispel. the game is called Dragon Dice™. The dragons should be the great equalizers, they are a force of nature and rage. Nothing should stop the dragons from coming. The clarification of summoning to the same terrain is so that control of the dragon can be removed from the dragon lords.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would cause the problem of making dragon summonable from reserves. Unless we add another rule to reserves magic too...

Trust me, not too many people bring units with Dispel. Even fewer remember to roll the dang thing. And all the units with Dispel only have a 20% chance of getting a Dispel when they do roll. I think I've seen Summon Dragon Dispelled once.

And as my wife likes to say (usually after her dragon has rolled Belly), "Don't trust dragons to do your dirty work, they are too chaotic."
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
BBrauser
dragonsteed

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree that it would let them cast from reserves:

"Spells can be cast on units, armies, magical items, dead unit area or buried unit area belonging to the player rolling for the reserve magic action. Terrain dice, summoning pool, spells and other players components, armies or dead unit area (unless specified in the spell’s description) cannot be targeted by a reserve army's magic"

Dragons are not units, armies nor magical items. they are not in the DUA or BUA they are technically NEXT to the DUA in the summoning pool, same place the dragonkin are in. If they are in play at a terrain they still are not units nor do they belong to anyone's army so they still cannot have a spell effect them to summon them to another terrain.

so no to reserve magic summoning dragons.
bjones

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:28 am GMT    Post subject: Don't you dispell my Dragon Reply with quote

As someone who does not like getting their Dragon Dispelled, I agree with BBrauser. I would much rather see the wording of the spell changed to:

"Target any Dragon at any terrain or any summoning pool. Move that Dragon to any Terrain. Multiple Castings Target Multiple Dragons. This spell cannot be cast from reserves."

The Rules Already state that "Terrain dice, summoning pool, spells and other players components, armies or dead unit area (unless specified in the spell’s description) cannot be targeted by a reserve army's magic." So the summoning Pool was already off limits. Are there any other spells in the game that can target Dragons from the reserves? If not, then it would only make sense that a Rule change that Dragons could not be effected from reserves would clarify this issue, and prevent your concerns Chuck. It would also negate my Dragons from being dispelled (A fact which happens enough I'd take the time to look up the rules and complain about it here.)

Then the Spell description could be changed to: "Target any Dragon at any terrain or any summoning pool of the color of magic being cast. Move that Dragon to any Terrain. Multiple Castings Target Multiple Dragons."

Just a thought from new player who is frustrated with a few aspects of an otherwise wonderful game.

Burke Jones

--Damian Conway
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this is what happens when you have two versions of the rules on hand. It happens that the basic rules would allow this, but not the advanced rules. Another reason we want to get rid of everything but one set of rules.

In any case, Dispel Magic has already been cut back a couple of times. I don't see any reason to cripple it more. Just look at it this way, you are not Dispelling the dragons, you are Dispelling the spell that causes the dragons to be summoned. So you're not stopping dragons from coming to the terrain, you are stopping another army from calling dragons to the terrain. Maybe a bit of a fine point, but it does address your concern.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: