SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just another Friday night...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Just another Friday night... Reply with quote

It was a dark and stormy night at the seedy tavern in the village of B'arr Kash. Most of the local populous of the small mountain village were crowded around the bar, which was little more than a wooden plank on some ale barrels. They were obviously trying to stay dry and warm, but there was a hint of fear hiding just behind each pair of eyes as well. To a man, they were trying to ignore the pair of strangers to their village. However they kept stealing glances at them.

The strangers sat apart from the villagers in a dark corner around a table. They sat as far from each other as they could, but The fact that they were sitting together at all is what was the most amazing. Their people had been brutal enemies for eons.

The first was short and broad. A dwarf by race and stronger than all of the humans there; Kli' of the Ferd clan sat glaring across the table. He was dressed in battle gear; bracers on his arms, helm on his head, an axe across his back.

T'fan Li sat on the opposite side of the table glaring back as opposite as can be; tall and lithe, quicker than a cockatrice and just as deadly. Long coal black hair braided for battle. Tight black leather armor contrasted nicely with the reddish skin. No shield was present, but a long thin rapier was on one hip and the mystical Lava Elf pistol on the other. Yes, one of the dreaded dark elves, made only more deadly by being a female.

Plates of Food sat between them untouched, slowly cooling. Mugs of Meade were slowly warming. They appeared to want to leave or feast or even to start killing each other, but each sat perfectly still waiting and waiting...

===============================================

"Where could he be? Its already 7:20, the pizza's getting cold, the soda's getting warm and its getting late."

"Calm down, Cliff. The rain has the interstates backed up and traffic delayed."

Cliff stopped pacing and sat at the kitchen table staring at the clock. Getting tired of that, his gaze drifted to the table before him. It was setup for a typical role playing game; pizza, soda, chips, source books, character sheets, pencils, a GM screen (but no GM) and dice. The dice is where it stopped being typical. These dice had no numbers, no pips, but pictures of swords and shields and footprints.

Cliff looked up at Tiffany with a glint in his eye. "Hey... since we are just sitting here doing nothing anyway... do you wanna... Duel?"

"Sure, if you don't mind getting beat again."

"Hey, I went up a level last week. I've got one up on you."

Cliff looked at his character sheet: Kli' Ford, Dwarf, Level 7. This meant that he now had three aspects; Heavy Melee, Light Melee, and the newly added Cavalry he had just earned with his new level. To represent these aspects of his character he had three dice: a Warlord, Skirmisher and Pony Rider. He felt his extra level which provided him the 3rd die would finally top Tiffany.

Tiffany only had two dice to her character; an Infiltrator and Wyvern Rider. From this she knew that her character sheet said; Lava Elf, Level 6 with aspects of Light Melee and Cavalry.

Having both agreed to Duel, their thoughts moved to terrains. Each choose two terrains (unsurprisingly all Highlands) and rolled them; a 1, 3, 6 and a 7. Four possible choices to begin their battle, but only one could be chosen.

They must decide initiative. Both grab their entire character and roll.

Cliff's dice end up with a picture of two horse shoes, three battle axes and a dwarf in a horned hat. He knows that this means 2 maneuvers, 3 melee, and 3 IDs. They were rolling for maneuvers and ID's are wildcards that always count, so that is 2 + 3 = 5 maneuvers.

Tiffany's dice ended up with a single rapier and 5 bat's wings. This is 1 melee and 5 Fly (which counts as maneuvers). So she also got 5 maneuvers.

"Well, we can't both go first. Roll again" Cliff commanded.

"Yes, Sir, your highness" Tiffany rolled her eyes.

Rolling again, Cliff got 4 Smite, 3 Melee, and 1 Maneuver. Tiffany got 4 Missile and 5 Melee.

"Good little Pony Rider, see that extra die helps out" Cliff boasted. "I think I'll go first."

This left Tiffany to choose the terrain to battle over. "I'll pick the 6" she quickly stated. She had already decided her plan of attack. She moved that die to the center of the table and removed the other three terrains.

"Okay, first turn and I have initiative so I'll take a melee action against you." This was really his only option since the terrain was sitting on a melee face.

Rolling his Dwarf he got: 3 Melee, 4 Melee and a Maneuver.

"So I have to save against 7 melee." Tiffany picked up her dice and rolled them getting: 5 Maneuver and 1 Fly. "But I'm a Lava Elf in a Highland, so my racial ability lets me count maneuvers as saves. So thats 6 saves, I take one damage on my Infiltrator" She put a small token next to that aspect on her character sheet to temporarily mark the damage. This was just a friendly Duel, so the damage wasn't permanent. It would disappear after the duel whether she won or lost.

"That’s one, 5 more damage and you go down"

Tiffany's only reply was "For my action, I attack as well". She rolled her dice getting 5 melee. Cliff rolled his dice for saves and only got 3. "So much for your extra die" Tiffany gloated. She knew that the first point of damage had to be applied to the smallest attribute.

"Ok, I take one point of damage on the Pony Rider, which moves him to my Dead Unit Area, and the other point of damage on my Warlord." He set the Pony Rider off to the side and put a damage marker on his character sheet.

"We've both taken our actions, so roll for initiative for the next turn." Tiffany rolls and gets 6 maneuvers. Cliff rolls his two dice that are still living and only gets 3 maneuvers.

"But I'm a Dwarf in a highland, so my racial ability gives me double maneuvers. So that’s really a 6, which means we tied, which means I keep the initiative!" Cliff stands with both hands in the air.

"Fine, just sit down and keep playing"

"Since I won this roll, I'm going to leave the terrain where it is. Starting the next turn, I get to take my action first and will attack in melee again" Cliff rolls and gets 4 Counter. "I was hoping for a Smite, but 4 damage will work"

Tiffany quickly rolls her dice and gets both ID's "And 6 will save all of it! For my action I will attack in melee as well"

She rolls and getting only one melee sighs deeply.

"Only one? Hardly worth the effort" Cliff grins broadly. As the dice settle from his save against the one damage, he jumps up again with both fists in the air. "Oh yeah! 4 Counters; saved the damage and 4 back at you!"

Tiffany sighs deeply, this is just what she needs tonight. She has to start taking damage on the Infiltrator since it is already carrying a damage token. "Two more damage kill the Infiltrator," she moves it to her DUA " and the Wyvern Rider takes two points."

"Just one more point and I win this Duel. Roll for Initiative." Cliff rolls his dice and gets 3 maneuvers.

Tiffany knows she has only one chance, she rolls her lone remaining die and gets 5 Flies! "Wheh, I got it. I take Initiative away and since I won the roll I want to turn the terrain down to 5, that’s out of melee and into missile actions."

"Turn it down? The Wyvern rider is better at melee, you have two faces of melee and only one of missile."

"But that’s one more missile face than you have." Tiffany turns the terrain to show the five face into missile range. "Since I have the initiative I get to take an action first, I'll attack you in missiles." She rolls her last die and mumbles under her breath 'Come on, come on, come on..."

Meanwhile, back at the tavern on the side of the mountain village of B'arr Kash, the townspeople were still at the bar, but now they were all on the other side of it, trying to hide behind it. After sitting silent for half an hour the two stranger had sudden jumped up from the table and drawn weapons! It appeared that the rumored truce between the Dwarves and Lava Elves was suddenly going to be disproved with spattered blood upon the wall.

After maneuvering back and forth the Dwarf, Kli' Ford took a small hit to smack T'fan Li with the bracer on his free forearm.

She tried to disengage by maneuvering back, but he pressed the attack moving towards her. He swung his axe toward her, but she moved quickly out of the way. Trying to hit the dwarf from the side, he blocked the thin rapier with his arm and countered with an axe to the head! The town people were amazed at the suddenness and ferocity of the attack, but even more amazed that he hit her head with the FLAT of his axe. They were obviously trying to kill each other, but at the same time not doing any permanent damage.

Dazed by the hit to the head, the slender elf stumbled away, managing to put some distance between herself and her opponent.

She quickly pulled her pistol out of its holster and fired directly into the Dwarves chest plate!

The force of the blast knocked him to the floor where he yelled "Hey! I yield!"

"Sorry" the elf said as she tucked a stray lock of hair behind her pointed ear and holstered the pistol. "You dazed me and reflex took over."

Suddenly the door to the tavern opened letting in a cold blast of wind and rain...

"I can't believe I rolled those 5 missile!"

"And I can't believe I didn't roll any saves! Fine, 5 damage finishes off the remaining health of my two dice. I lose the duel and you win."

"And that gives me two points of experience since you were a level higher than me AND gives me enough to go up to level 7 as well."

"Congratulations" said Chuck as he walked through the front door. "Update your character sheet and choose your new aspect.”

He sat down at the table behind the GM screen. “I believe we stopped last week in the tavern at B'arr Kash? Let's get back to this campaign and cleanse that temple of it’s undead infection..."

To be continued…
yvesvanherp
common

belgium.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice one, Cliff!
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when do we get to see the (revised) rules to Duels? :) I read some of the older stuff, and this seems a lot more polished (either that, or the narrative just makes it easier to understand).

One thing about Duels; It really annoys me that someone had this idea about 4 years before I did. I'm still going to work on mine, and I'll publish it here if anything comes of it (and if it's different enough from Duels to warrant it).
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet...
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duels is currently morphing into an rpg. It'll be a bit different, so duels may be a simplified version of it. It'll be released as we et closer to gencon.

If you have some ideas then please share them
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will when they are ready, I am proud to a fault at times and like to make my creative work it's best before sharing. I like to have things at a certain point before I open up to collaborative efforts. Plus, hopefully, if I can pull all of my ideas together it will be it's own creature - not just part of duels - not that that would be bad, but again, pride.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pride and perfectionism is why duels didn't take offyet, the rules are never good enough for me to release
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Alright :)

I'll work up a thread and post it sometime in the next 7 days. That gives me enough time to actually try out some of the mechanics I've been mulling over to see if they'll work like I think they will - It also gives me an exciting deadline.

Two of my design goals/ideals for this project are;
- The Gameplay Must be unique and different from the standard Dragon Dice™
and
- Anyone who knows Dragon Dice™ should be able to intuitively play it

These go along with my standard design ideals;
-Create as little burden on the end user as possible (This is standard for me when creating variants - it means try not to add extra parts unless they are absolutely needed)
and
-Make sure every rule is worth it's weight (Hard for me to follow - I like to add and add, but streamlined games are usually better)

Anyway, I hope my ideas live up to this hype :)
-Elyiot

(Ugh, I need more dice, I'm going to have to playtest with just Frostwing and Stalkers, and not all that many to boot :P Oh well, I'll make it work.)
DEEPBLUEB2
monster
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've shared my ideas,
however I don't know which one apply to DUELS,
the current direction is unclear.
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnnnd I'm a little behind Schedule on my promised reveal - It's coming along but needs just a teeny bit more tweaking.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsu wrote:
Annnnnd I'm a little behind Schedule on my promised reveal - It's coming along but needs just a teeny bit more tweaking.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Dragon Dice Duels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: