SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Devision Owned Territory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Devision Owned Territory Reply with quote

I propose we start a long term map of the different races/factions. Whenever there is a meet for the league or even such as Gamestorm, or Pax, different people represent those different races or determined factions and a rep will document the victor(s). Get a set of rules going for atleast one battle of a peace of Esfah on every "official" Dragon Diceâ„¢ get together and have a running JPG or something in BBCode for all the forums to view where their faction stands. The rule set could be maybe 36 pt. mixed or single races within your faction, standard rules apply.

This would be sweet, if something like this already exists let me know.

I was thinking maybe it could be race based and have possibly 4 or 5 factions all w/a set of allies. Like Goblin/swamp stalker, Feral/Treefolk, Firewalker/Lava Elf, Coralelf/Amazon, ect., ect. These are just random thoughts. Maybe 3 races per faction who knows.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I am actually pumped about the idea now. Just think how slick it would be for the different factions to have a league website? Have faction names and heroes. Maybe even bonus rules or something for factions getting ahead to encourage other factions to team up on them to push them back, my mind reels.....

Sorry to double post on this but now I am thinking I wanna push for it.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't there used to be a campaigns format for tournaments?
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is not one currently going on? Lets get one started this week or so, to my knowledge most meets are on the last Sunday of every month. In which case we should roll one out before then to get it going. We should leave this thread open for ideas for a campaign that would be sweet. Post a picture of Esfah and such if someone would. Again, if there is another happening I would love to join in.
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chill Wind Campaign used a campaign format, but it wasn't tied to a specific map.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a campaign? I am asking in the sense that its not still happening?

I am probably going to start one here in the next day or two unless someone says other wise or that there is another one going. Ill brain storm an outline, see what I can do about regions, get people organized and then get a good format up. Ill spend a bit looking at the lore of all the races as written about in the books as noted as "Flavor text" so its written in the credits of the rule book.
Dr. Oliver Cross
dragonmount

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to help you with that, if you'd like the help. I'd also love to know what you're doing Monday. I'd like to get together for a few games.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I am gonna try to start a large Dragon Diceâ„¢ wide campaign. The flavor text was not much help haha as even the Coral Elves sought power and are very bitter. I respect that there needed to be a reason for the warring but it looks like it wont be history based so we will have to make it balanced based. i.e. dont stick swamp stalkers and goblins together or dwarves and lava elves.

We will also have to divide a map of esfah accordingly. That should be lore based though, as dwarves will own rocky areas, frostwings have the frozen north that kinda stuff. Anyone w/any ideas to add would be awesome. I would love to try to get this started before the 24th as that is the usual Dragon Diceâ„¢ meet.

Ya my monday is completely open btw Oliver. My friend dave gets off at 2 so if you wanna meet up around that time we can all gather about.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:33 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another quick brainstorm idea, if I dont post it I will forget it. But a good longterm goal for the winning and losing factions will be based on the idea that every region to start will have 36 pts. so if the map is divided into 100 regions among the different factions. Winning armies will lose no pts. and losing armies will take their remaining pts. to a neighboring faction area. I will still need to figure out how to make this better and seriously any input is needed and respected.

Though they can never bring more than 36 pts. to a fight you can attack a region w/less. but this does give the players a reason to win. This then brings up the idea for reinforcing from neighboring regions as well. But also if say a region is not used for that month, i.e. it goes 2+ months without attacking or being attacked or reinforcing to/from, then it gets restored to 36 pts. The idea is that there is always a 36 pt. army available but eventually you may get dwindled.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok there are 12 races. We could either have 3, 4, or 6 factions, or this can be done on individual races but I think it should be 4 different factions and ofcourse the eldarim are factionless and would join w/anyone.

Maybe a layout like (Dwarves/Frostwing/Treefolk) - (Amazon/Goblin/Scalders) - (Swampstalkers/Firewalkers/Coral) - (Feral/Undead/Lava Elves) ???
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome and I have ideas;

First and foremost we need to decide this; Do players represent a faction for the course of a campaign (e.g. I'm the Morehl™, you're Vagha™, she's Undead) OR are players free to fight for different sides each time?

Both ways have pros and cons in my estimation.

Sticking with one faction means more investment and identification with that faction, which may be more fun - But it also makes it easier for a faction to be eliminated if the player is inexperienced (like me).

Freedom to choose factions gives players flexibility to try out different forces and to be involved in conflicts anywhere on the map, it also means experienced players can choose to field armies of factions that are on the brink of destruction for the bonus conquest points (see below). However, we lose out on the thematic nature of playing just one faction.

Conquest Points - a balancing mechanic

For each territory won in a battle (holding 8th face at end of match) a territory on the map changes color (or stays the same if won by faction already holding it). When a territory on the map changes color, the player (not faction) that won it earns conquest points. The amount of CP earned is the differential between the number of territories controlled by each faction (number of winner's terr. - losers) this number is always at least 1.*

Conquest Points is a scoring system that creates a meta game to discourage elimination of races. It focuses the battle on races that are successful.

The Map - the biggest change from regular Dragon Diceâ„¢.

Players no longer bring two terrains to the table. Players reveal armies, roll hoards, winner chooses their home terrain from a bordering territory on the map with the defending faction, winner chooses frontier from either one of their controlled territories on the border or one of the defending factions border territories. Loser chooses their home terrain from one of their border territories.

Terrain types (highland/coast/... and 8th face) is set by the map at the beginning of the campaign. Cities don't move, etc...

That's all for now I'd love to help with the map to lend my ideas to it's creation, but I'm in se portland with no car, you guys are in sw and beyond, right? If we could meet somewhere central (Guardian, Backspace) count me in. Otherwise I'll add my ideas here, or take a stab at making a map/rule set myself :)

My background; I design boardgames as a hobby and spend many hours a day thinking about game mechanics and design :) I say this to help explain this explosion of ideas.

Last edited by Katsu on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, when I use the word faction in my above post I specificity mean an individual race. I am still thinking about how alliances (ie mixed armies) would work with the above rules
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really exited about the map. Having fixed terrain type means - if you want to invade dwarf land you better be prepared to fight on mountains a lot. If you win the hoard roll and choose a terrain held by your dwarf opponent it will likely be a mountain.

I fully expect there to be a few complications if and when anyone plays this but that's inevitable :)
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as deciding teams/factions and the way I see it, there should be 1 team captain per faction, my nominations are simple, Chuck Pint/Jim Rayborn/Cliff Wiggs/Dave(Dproman). Then we just simply have an open roster for each faction, when you sign up for that roster you go to your meets and when there is a campaign battle you simply represent your faction.

As far as a balance system I think there is one that is inherent. Also, I feel there are going to be experienced and unexperienced players on all rosters.
Say every faction has a border attatched to another, and faction A is doing real well faction B and C are being pushed back and faction D is stalemated. Well B and C can call a seize fire on their borders to reinforce themselves to attack faction A. Remember that if a territory is untouched for 2 full meets it gets bumped back to 36 points. A bonus for taking a territory is that it gets automatically 36 pts. in the new region and the origin of that army has the difference of their losses, and any remaining pts. in the defending army are moved to a neighboring friendly region.(Even in defense you can never bring more than 36 pts.) This also encourages taking over in clusters so that the center of it can be used to reinforce the outter ones. As far as attacking a territory w/less than 36 pts. I am not sure yet how to make that decent or acceptable.

As far as terrain dice go, you have a good idea but the idea you have going on now alters the game play a little much, which I would like to avoid. I like that though. It includes to campaign into the game itself, maybe if there was a way to do it w/o altering the game or as little as possible. i.e. maybe just the defending terrain is preset from their region and the attacking gets a home from their region and the frontier is presented from either side?
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be misunderstanding your points rules. Originally I thought you said; "winners lose no points, losers retreat remaining points to a friendly area". Now presumably this friendly area already has 36 points available to it - otherwise it would have lost a battle and no longer be friendly.

Here is what I'd like to know; by your rules when would a territory ever have less than 36 points and what game effect would this have? If your answer includes the possibility of a lop sided battle I think that would be fairly unbalancing to the game.

As far as my terrain idea goes it's pretty much exactly as you described it - winner chooses the frontier from the border territories, both sides pick home from border territories. In any given battle up to two territories could change hands (on the campaign map)
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the idea of teams and captains does not interest me, nor does the prospect of being limited to one or three races. It's not to say teams and captains isn't a good idea in it's own right - it's just a format that wouldn't interest me - for a number of reasons really.

That said, the only (thus mentioned) alternative is to let folks play whatever they like with the goal of obtaining Conquest/Campaign Points. I think this would work well but I'm biased as it was my idea :)

Either way it'd be interesting to see how the map changes over time.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be 100% Katsu, this is only day 2 of the drafting, either way sounds fine. I guess we still gotta wait for others to see what they wanna do in posts.

I am actually behind w/school I have to catch up by sunday, which I imagine I can do but until then I am probably gonna be M I A so just keep the ideas rollin' in and if you guys decide something in my absence ill certainly enroll in whatever campaign that goes on.

This is a sweet idea dont let it die!
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of you Portland players have signed up with the SBRG (Stumptown bone rollers guild meetup group). Dragon Diceâ„¢ is normally played on the last Sunday of each month (due to easter, this month we will be playng on the last saturday) at Guardian games at noon. Cool
Katsu
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if anyone wasn't - Although I've never been to one.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:56 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsu I did not realize you were in Oregon. Haha thats cool. I actually am going to join you folks at Guardian Games for the first time that Saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: