SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

36-Point Armageddon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:32 pm GMT    Post subject: 36-Point Armageddon Reply with quote

The Story

Nobody alive knows exactly what The Cataclysm was, only that generations ago, some terrible fate befell all the land, and civilization - in all its forms - collapsed. Cities fell into ruins and magic artifacts were lost to time.

Legend speaks of a time when all the peoples of the world lived amongst their kin, and their kin alone. Those days are gone now, with people of all races banding together for survival.

The Game

Each player uses the following army construction rules:

1. Must contain 4 different races
2. No more than 12 Points in any one race
3. No fewer than 6 Points in any one race
4. Players must bring Elemental or Ivory Dragons only. Ivory Dragons can be summoned by magic of any combination of colors totalling 7 points
5. All terrains have the Black element added. If a terrain already has black, each unit that generates at least one black magic during a magic roll generates one extra black magic.
6. Dragonkin are not allowed, and magic items cost double their normal points.
7. In place of Dragonkin, each player may start with up to 3 Points worth of "survivors" from each race in their army. Any units are eligible to be "survivors". These follow special rules, below.

Plays as normal, with some exceptions:

Survivors:

A player may spend one March per turn searching for survivors. Roll one army and count Maneuvers. For every 5 Maneuvers, that player takes one point of units from the Summoning Pool OR DUA and adds it to the searching army.

The Eighth Face:

As the world changed, so too did the terrain. Cities became Ruins, Temples became Fanes, Towers became Bunkers, and Standing Stones became Altars.

Ruins: If a player controls this eighth face, they may spend their March here looking for survivors. If they do, double the final total of Maneuvers (after all other effects).

Fane: At the start of a player's turn, if they control this eighth face, they may return up to two health points worth of units from their BUA to DUA.

Bunker: Armies that control a Bunker may melee attack armies at a terrain one space away (as though they were making a missile attack).

Altar: A player that controls this eighth face may perform Sacrifices to conjure magic. That player may bury any units in the controlling army before rolling for magic. Any units so buried generate 3 black magic per health point. Then roll remaining units and combine their magic as well. At least one unit must remain alive after sacrifice.
DarkKindness
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this on a lot of levels - it's fun, it's thematic, and it keeps the variant easily accessible to new players. Black on every terrain might be a bit too good for Death races, but with the adrmy building restrictions, it's more likely for any given army to have a Death component.

I'd also consider making the disaster faces on minor terrains have an amplified or different effect in order to reflect the deadlier nature of the post-apocalyptic world...

1949 dice down, innumerable more to go!
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had forgotten the Minor Terrain. I'll have something up for them soon.

I thought about the black magic too, but I like the feel. I thought about making every race able to cast black magic, and hence double ID on it, but I'm not sure. Maybe just make it so black can only be doubled via DUA.

It'd be cool to see as a printed expansion, with actual new Terrains to match, but I'm not holding my breath! Very Happy
DarkKindness
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand, keeping black doubling via DUA only is probably more balanced but, on the other, what would the point be in having a black element on all terrain if not to double the magic... about the only other thing that it would affect would be the White's breath. I'd say go ahead and test it out both ways... just to see which works/feels better.

1949 dice down, innumerable more to go!

Last edited by DarkKindness on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:39 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It was meant to be a thematic change more than a gameplay change. I don't want the death races to be too good.

Now, minor terrain:

The Cataclysm destroyed landmarks both large and small. Across the world was a shattered landscape, a cruel mockery of what had once been.

Bridges, strong and sturdy, which once crossed beautiful rivers and valleys, were now little more than rickety rope constructs spanning polluted waters and jagged ravines.

Forests that once covered miles of ground were now lifeless ashen husks of their former glory.

Villages had gone mad, turning man against fellow man, tainting the ground with untold amounts of spilled blood.

Knolls, once peaceful and inviting, were now feeding grounds for carrion scavengers, feasting on the flesh of the fallen.

All minor terrain follow the same rules as normal, but with more troublesome disasters:

Bridge: Collapse! 3 health worth of units are killed, no saves possible. Another 5 health worth must roll maneuvers individually or be killed. Any unit that rolls at least one Fly result may save itself and one other unit from this effect. Place this minor terrain out of the game.

Forest: Ashen Contagion! 3 health worth of units must save individually or be killed and buried. Your current march ends; you may not maneuver or take an action. Place this minor terrain out of the game.

Village: Bloodlust! 5 health worth of units roll for melee avoidance. For each melee result, choose one health worth of units in that army. Those units must roll saves individually or be killed. Place this minor terrain out of the game.

Knoll: Circling Buzzards! This minor terrain is no longer rolled. Whenever the controlling army sends units to its own DUA, bury those units. The controlling army may spend a successful maneuver to remove this minor terrain instead of changing the Major Terrain face.
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of making minor terrains worse (which makes people even less inclined to use them), why not have them represent the destroyed landscape?
Each 8th face could be associated with a minor terrain (for example city-village, tower-knoll, stones-forest, temple-bridge). Whenever you occupy the terrain, you automatically get a minor terrain assigned, which is rolled in the normal circumstances. But instead of it giving bonuses, it gives a slight penalty of -1 (or something) on the rolls appropriate to the faces. The disaster should be similar but toned down, while the ID stays the same (in the positive way). This should give the idea of struggling though a destroyed landscape a bit more.

F
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

DialFforFunky wrote:
Instead of making minor terrains worse (which makes people even less inclined to use them), why not have them represent the destroyed landscape?
Each 8th face could be associated with a minor terrain (for example city-village, tower-knoll, stones-forest, temple-bridge). Whenever you occupy the terrain, you automatically get a minor terrain assigned, which is rolled in the normal circumstances. But instead of it giving bonuses, it gives a slight penalty of -1 (or something) on the rolls appropriate to the faces. The disaster should be similar but toned down, while the ID stays the same (in the positive way). This should give the idea of struggling though a destroyed landscape a bit more.

F

Interesting idea. I'm inclined to use both ideas. Players must bring two minors (one per terrain), and may bring two more. Summoned they provide normal bonuses but the worse disaster. However they can be brought in while advancing the Major (not instead of advancing).

At an eighth face, they provide -1 roll depending on the face. The ID gives +1 to all results, and the disaster makes them lose the march. They MUST be brought in at an 8th face.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also use the idea that the ID face of the minor terrain represents finding a place that has survived the Cataclysm somehow. That could mean using the major terrain's eighth face as it's normal meaning, or something else special like a free magic item (size determined by a maneuver roll to "find it").
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
You could also use the idea that the ID face of the minor terrain represents finding a place that has survived the Cataclysm somehow. That could mean using the major terrain's eighth face as it's normal meaning, or something else special like a free magic item (size determined by a maneuver roll to "find it").

Another good idea. I'll do some thinking on this stuff and get back to you.

Now when you say "free magic item" do you mean they can just retrieve another item from their box of dice? I don't know if I want to be introducing more dice than the army is allotted, even on an ID roll.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean "free" as in, something from a summoning pool of fixed size. Also if they get enough maneuvers for a rare, but there are none left, they can get an uncommon or common instead. Of course, if it's empty, they have "found them all" and don't get anything.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
I mean "free" as in, something from a summoning pool of fixed size. Also if they get enough maneuvers for a rare, but there are none left, they can get an uncommon or common instead. Of course, if it's empty, they have "found them all" and don't get anything.

Oh, ok! That could work. They could alternatively find a "cache" or "horde" of "supplies and equipment"; in other words they can promote one (or maybe more) units in that army, as they find cool new toys to fight better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: