SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiplayer Team Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 am GMT    Post subject: Multiplayer Team Game Reply with quote

I urge ALL of you guys to try this out, it was seriously a great deal of fun. I am not a huge fan of games bigger than 3 people. They take too long and the strategy is based on short-minded chaos, the not so fun kind for me at least. Well lately I have been pushing for a team play tourney and a friend in our meet up group suggested we just play a game. It in fact became the entire nights time. There were 4 of us and I have not yet read through the rules on team play but the biggest thing I remember was cliff saying there is not talking amongst the teams. Anyway, we set the ground rules as follows...

No talking with your teammate.
Everyone builds their armies in secret, then you roll a die to see who's team your on.
No team can go sequentially in turns. i.e. the quickest horde roll went first and his teammate went third regardless. (Unless the terrain was chosen)
Anything that said target any of 'your' included your teammates' also.
Your guys' units could never join each others armies so if I wanted to res his unit they would go to the casting armies terrain, either joining your mates' army or creating a new one for him. If I ressed his units from reserves they went to his reserves.
Dispel's and dragonkin remained the same, as in I could not dispel something cast on his army or summon his kin (Though I was allowed to promote them via eldarim magic).
I could not, say, hailstorm him for cantrips. The non aggressive on your own units/armies applied to the teammate.
The ARMY that moved it to the 8th face was in control, and not the team. That means only the holder got the advantages, just like a normal game. Though the team as a whole only needed to control 2 8th faces.

Pretty much the rules were unchanged except the above. Though no weird situations came up, so that was cool.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With that said, I have not had this kind of fun in a long while doing anything. Whats even more great about this, the multiplayer games go quicker, in that in the past larger FFA's could take over an hour and a half as expected.

The first game was a push over because I used my Undead and got teamed with another Undead, so there were just a ton of night moves and restless deads every where.

The third game we played was way more entertaining. The gentlemen I was with just was not in the team play mind set, no matter how much I was pushing for it with my spells and abilities on him. We ended up winning based on the extremely terrible rolls the opposition was giving me. It was hilarious, though the things my teammate did. One instance is that my home started on 6, with my 18 pts. of mages. During placement the other three players placed one of their armies there and they were all melee. My mate went first, turned it up to 7 and abandoned the terrain, leaving mages to fight the other 2. What was going on in his mind?
Very much a blast all in all.
stormywaters
rare

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted to play teams for awhile now, but I have some questions/concerns on your rules:

1. No talking amongst teams sounds silly. You're on a team for a reason, and in real war your armies would talk to each other to plan strategies.

2. I can see random teams, but I can also predefined teams; in a tournament-style setting you could build armies that synergize well.

3. The army, not the team, controls an eighth face? You wouldn't let allies in your castle? Another logical breakdown I think.

4. I'm torn on using "your" to affect your ally. How does Leaving work?

5. In your example of abandoning your mages, why did that matter? Wouldn't your opponent just attack your army, instead of his? You said they remain separate, so I assume they don't save together.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:
I've wanted to play teams for awhile now, but I have some questions/concerns on your rules:

1. No talking amongst teams sounds silly. You're on a team for a reason, and in real war your armies would talk to each other to plan strategies.

2. I can see random teams, but I can also predefined teams; in a tournament-style setting you could build armies that synergize well.

3. The army, not the team, controls an eighth face? You wouldn't let allies in your castle? Another logical breakdown I think.

4. I'm torn on using "your" to affect your ally. How does Leaving work?

5. In your example of abandoning your mages, why did that matter? Wouldn't your opponent just attack your army, instead of his? You said they remain separate, so I assume they don't save together.

1 & 2 because the dynamic of talking amongst each other and pre organizing would make each game last all of 5 minutes. Its not exciting, the first round will be 100% dominated every time by one team or the other. I am confident Cliff would agree, its just a better game for it. But I am no game designer, I am ever more confident he could give you mechanics as to why.

3. It would be way too powerful. Even for the initial effects phase. Again one 8th face would cause complete dominance. It would be an imbalance structure.

4. Leaving would most definitely effect you and your allies. As I could cast open grave on any ally or any such spell.

5. Mages are SLOW. Swampstalker mages have little to no saves or melee either. It was funny because the moment he was able to maneuver to 7 I had no way to move it to 8. Also, he did attack one of their armies and did right about 10 dmg. (50%) of what was there. I had no way of doing such a thing.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did some more team games and they are fun as usual. However, I did implement another change up. In a normal Multiplayer game, your horde goes to anyones home except your own and your campaign goes to any terrain that you, yourself, dont already have an army present.

I did do so more testing and found that this was another great implementation...

Your Horde must go to an ENEMY home (not your mates' home) and your mates' horde cannot go to that same enemy's home. Plus, everyones campaign must go to the frontier rather than anywhere one does not have an army. This is actually important to stop round one from 2 stepping up a terrain for anyone team without opposition on the first round.

I think our group is toying with the idea of shifting 8th face control to your mate in some respect. If we did this there would need to be some kind of restriction to the player. I am thinking we could try doing it in the initial effects phase or, like replanting, during the march but before the action. That way no one team is getting double use out of it. There would be double use of the initial effects of that 8th face though. But more testing to be done.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I almost forgot, also what was added is maneuvering and counter maneuvering in that, if your at a terrain that your ally is at as well and you wish to make a maneuver attempt, your ally must accept it regardless and cannot oppose you as if he was doing it himself.

EDIT: This goes along with the "no talking" theme.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to organize the rules for an easier following, we will call this 1.0.

1) No talking with your teammate.

2) Everyone builds their armies in secret, then you roll a die to get a random teammate.

3) Your Horde must go to an ENEMY home (not your mates' home) and your mates' horde cannot go to that same enemy's home as you have chosen. Furthermore, everyones campaign must go to the frontier rather than anywhere one does not have an army.

4: A) Any spells or effects that are written as "target any of 'your'" (Units/Armies) includes your teammates' also.

4: B) Any spells or effects that are disallowed to affect your own units/armies are disallowed on your teammates.

5) You cannot engage in an aggressive action or counter-maneuver against your teammate

6) Team units may never join each others armies.

Example: If I wanted to res his unit they would go to the casting armies terrain, either joining your mates' army or creating a new one for them. If I ressed his units from reserves they went to his reserves. This is applied to any like spell or effect such as path or call of the wild as well.

7) Minor terrains and dragonkin are only usable by the PLAYER who brought them. (Same as a normal game)

8') The ARMY that moved a terrain to its 8th face is in control, and not the team. That means only the holder takes the advantages, just like a normal game. Though the team as a whole only need to control two 8th faces to claim victory.

9) No team can go sequentially in turns.

Example: In a four person game (2 teams) the quickest horde roller went first and his teammate went third.
Example: In a four person game (2 teams) the quickest horde roller chose the frontier and and went second. His teammate went fourth.
Example: In a six person game (3 teams) the quickest horde roller went first and his team mate went fourth (First of the last three). The second quickest horde roller went second and his teammate went fifth and finally the last team went third and sixth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: