SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online video conferencing games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:29 am GMT    Post subject: online video conferencing games Reply with quote

don't know if this is off topic here or not. couldn't find another place to put it that seemed even close to this topic.

anybody think that getting together over the internet using video conferencing to play a DD game would work. my friend gets together with musicians from all over the world and jams with them using video conferencing. so i thought maybe this could work for DD players. let me know what you think. Question

it may be difficult with 3 or more players, but 2 might work out all right (you'd probably need something more than a stationary web cam so that the players could look closer at each others dice on a terrain.)

i have nobody to play with; kind of like dieter (i think i spelled his name right), and would be willing to try something like this out. this way people like me and dieter could get to play with people from all over the world.

hey if you have any ideas that you think will work post it.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the forum so your topic is now on-topic. Very Happy

If anyone figures out how to play other people on-line, feel free to post tips here.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:58 am GMT    Post subject: Re: online video conferencing games Reply with quote

mocachild wrote:
don't know if this is off topic here or not. couldn't find another place to put it that seemed even close to this topic.

anybody think that getting together over the internet using video conferencing to play a DD game would work......

it may be difficult with 3 or more players, but 2 might work out all right (you'd probably need something more than a stationary web cam so that the players could look closer at each others dice on a terrain.)

..... this way people like me and dieter could get to play with people from all over the world.

Great idea for the weekends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately I'm traveling most of the time in summer but most of the weekends I'm at home! Think I gotta catch up real fast with the new rules! ...and get myself a camera! .....and clean my player's table Wink ! ......and get more dice! .........or even more more dice Smile !

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to show me HOW to videoconference, and can tell me if I could do it, sure. (I do have a video camera piece for my computer, but haven't used it in years. And I have no idea if I would have the software necessary, or the internet connection necessary, or if my face is too ugly....)
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

to continue deputyfife's thoughts:

...or if I could handle it
...or if my wallet approves a new camera (no idea how much that would be!?)
...or if it makes sense if you're at the end of the world most of the time with even no mobile phone connection or other signs of civilisation?

Heck, I'd love to give it a try some time!!!

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend is the video conferencing guru. if people really want to try this out i'll have him show me how to get everything going and will post it here. then if people want to email me to set up a time to try and play, we can at least see what works and doesn't. who knows we may create a whole new web DD gaming community. that would be pretty darn cool! Very Happy

deputyfife, i'm not concerned about your face; if you think it's that bad then you can use it to your advantage and intimidate the oppostition even before the game begins Wink it's all about strategy and using what you've got right? lol

Dieter, it will depend on your internet connection speed. if you have dial up, it may be a bit choppy, but still do-able. if you have high speed then you shouldn't have any problem. the whole thing is to make sure everybody is using a video conferencing program; companies like Comcast have an area for video conferencing etc. again, i'll do some serious research and post everything that i find so we can get this thing going.

oh yeah, and thanks chuckpint for adjusting the topic for my post! it's most appreciated.

Last edited by mocachild on Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:36 pm GMT; edited 1 time in total
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to take the risk, deputyfife, then just go ahead and cover it with a cool looking DD-thong from cafe-press Laughing or roll your dice with stretched arms to keep your face out of view!! By the way, you haven't seen mine yet, have you?
Would need special cam with what we call "Panzerglas"-lenses! (very thick glass used in banks to even stop bullets in case of robbery). Laughing

www.dragondicer.com
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i copied part of my last post because i was editing it but realized that people had read it already and might not see the addition.

by the way Dieter i like the thong idea! although the mental picture i got was a bit disturbing Shocked

here's the addition to my last post:
Dieter, it will depend on your internet connection speed. if you have dial up, it may be a bit choppy, but still do-able. if you have high speed then you shouldn't have any problem. the whole thing is to make sure everybody is using a video conferencing program; companies like Comcast have an area for video conferencing etc. again, i'll do some serious research and post everything that i find so we can get this thing going.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got DSL high speed, so to handle it that way wouldn't be a problem!
The problem rather arises between my ears Laughing since I have few experience with modern PCs (last one was a 486 SX 33 for a whole decade!!).
Do I hear anybody laughing?????? (Got myself a real rocket now! Was about time!!)
Neither do I have lots of experience with internet and I have never played anything online.
By the way, I'm a little worried about the costs! I have flatrate up to 2000 megabites and allready have to add money. Videofiles is lots of megabites, isn't it? (drifting away to some sort of technical IT forum here Embarassed )

As far as that "thong idea" is concerned, that would definitely draw players! Laughing

BTW! To stay with the thong topic for a second: Have you guys ever thought about a bra for group monsters??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.dragondicer.com
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't believe that video conferencing costs anything more than what you already pay for online service as it is, but i see what you mean. you could call your online provider and ask them if there would be any extra charge. there isn't for me, but i don't know how your company works things out. i pay one fee and can do whatever my system can handle with no extra fees added on. check that out.

when i get all the facts i will let everyone know. my friend who knows this stuff is at work tonight but i will see him tomorrow. we'll get you up and running, Dieter. . . . and playing some Dragon Diceâ„¢!!!!! Razz

don't worry about this turning into a tech forum, as long as it is about getting video conferencing to work i'm sure chuckpint will find it on topic Wink
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocachild wrote:

deputyfife, i'm not concerned about your face; if you think it's that bad then you can use it to your advantage and intimidate the oppostition even before the game begins Wink it's all about strategy and using what you've got right? lol

This is in no way meant to pick on DDiceRC (who seems like a real nice guy), but I'm thinking of using the pic he posted of himself awhile back, and pasting it onto a paper bag I wear over my head. If that doesn't intimidate you, I don't know what will! Smile
Seriously, I'm just teasing Steve, who I'm sure is a handsome gent from the right angle, but he looks "All work and no play makes Steve something something"-creepy in that picture. Like he just buried a body in the basement, and is too tired to muster a smile for the pic. Shocked
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but he looks "All work and no play makes Steve something something"-creepy in that picture.

Just trying to enhance my likeness to the Undead Stevechaser. (That, and taking my own pic with my Palmcorder.) But my kids will tell you I can look intimidating-and so will certain students in the middle school where I substitute...

Quote:
Like he just buried a body in the basement, and is too tired to muster a smile for the pic.

Nah, I always smile after I bury the bodies. It's laying the concrete over top that wears me out.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can videoconference over some IM programs. I've never used them, but it might work.

Scott C
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you can video conference using AIM (AOL instant messenger) you can download it for free an use it to Video chat etc.

i was just talking to my friend and we are going to hook my laptop up to do it. once we get it to work i will post all the steps and see if it works for anyone else.
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS, MOCACHILD Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

www.dragondicer.com
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pleasure Dieter Exclamation Exclamation can't wait to see if it works! it would be really awesome to be able to play! Very Happy
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got up and running on the video conferencing thing. it's pretty simple. as long as you have a cam that is AIM (aol instant messenger) compatable it should work. for AIM video chating you need to have windows XP. AIM is free and it walks you through how to video chat using it.

new vid cams come with software that gets you set up. just make sure the vid cam software says AIM compatable. if anyone has any specific questions just ask and i will answer them.

looking forward to trying this out. by the way i bought a logitech web cam for 30 bucks and it is AIM compatable so i'm ready to try things out.

let me know what you guys/gals need.
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here are a few beginning steps.

1. buy a video cam and a microphone (for the computer). Logitech sells a web cam with a computer mic. in one package.

2. install the web cam software by following the on screen directions.

3. once installed and working, download and install AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). This program is free and you do not need to belong to AOL to use it. Follow the on-screen directions for installing and setting everything up. You are now almost ready to video chat.

4. Click on the instant message button to send an instant message.

5. a screen will appear and you will see your screen name at the top. Right beneath that is a blank box where you will type in the AIM screen name of the person you want to chat with. Once you have someones screen name just type it in.

6. Beneath these two names is the screen where you will type in your messages if you are just instant messaging. ignore this for now.

7. On the bottom of this screen you will see a bunch of choices like chat, video, etc.. click the chat or audio chat button (note: you want the audio chat option but it might just say chat not audio chat), and it will attempt to connect you to that persons AIM account if they are logged in. (Note: if you add the persons screen name to your buddy list, AIM will tell you if the person is connected to AIM or if they are offline. If they are on, then you can do all of the above).

8. If everybody is hooked up correctly with their web cam and mic. features then it will tell you that you are connected to the person you want to chat with.

9. You can now audio chat. you will be able to hear each other via you computer speakers.

10. Now, on the bottom of the screen, click the picture of the video cam. It should connect that feature to both of you if you both have cams installed and hooked up.

11. a new screen should appear showing both you looking into the web cam and your friend looking at you through your monitor.

12. There you have it.

there will probably be some glitches at first since getting used to it can be a little awkward. that's why you have the audio so you can talk it through. and if the audio is failing at first you can just type messages back and forth until the problem is solved.

REMEMBER your web cam software has to be compatible with AIM in order for it to work with AIM. When purchasing a web cam it should tell you what programs it is compatible with. They may all be compatible, but personally if I'm spending even a little bit of money I'd like it to do what i bought it to do.

my screen name is mocachild so if you want to experiment with playing DDice on video chat add me to your buddy list. also if you want to set up a time to try it out just email me: mocachild@comcast.net
deputyfife
common

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

mocachild wrote:

3. once installed and working, download and install AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). This program is free and you do not need to belong to AOL to use it. Follow the on-screen directions for installing and setting everything up. You are now almost ready to video chat.

First, great job! I think I could actually do this, following your instructions.

But I have a question for anybody on the boards concerning the above. Won't the AIM program have plenty of spyware/adware or other unpleasant software? I have programs that can take care of many spyware/adware programs, but them I'm guessing AIM won't work right.
Anybody have any knowledge on this?

thanks!
mocachild
dragonfoal

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIM probably has some spyware that comes with it. i run both spybot search and destroy and ad-aware se. i also have spywareblaster and run 2 different anti-virus programs and AIM still works fine.

also if you limit what you do with AIM and who you "chat" with you continue to minimize any risk.

like any online program you will get spyware involved but using the proper programs like the ones above for preventative maintenance, you really won't have any problems. the problems tend to come if you let stuff sit in your computer for long periods and they build up and cause problems. AIM wants to promote AOL so if people keep having their computers crash because of bad programs caused by AIM then it makes AOL look bad. they take what steps they can to minimize and neutralize any bad problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> On-Line games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: