SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products
 
 Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally! Played my first game...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
releppes
dragonfoal



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Location: Rochester, NY

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:10 am GMT    Post subject: Finally! Played my first game... Reply with quote

...but didn't finish. Still, my 9yr daughter and I had a great time!

Our first game went very slow. Seemed every turn, we were referencing the rule book. It was long and tedious, but overall, we both enjoyed the game. A lucky roll with a monster and rare decimated my daughter's Hord army. 7 hits on an army of 5 commons was pretty drastic. She conceded victory about mid game. Our first impressions were great game mechanics, but at the core, it's still a dice game. Luck changes everything. Very Happy

My daughter and I played using the Demo rules sent to me by several of the members here. Thank You! They were a tremendous help. The Demo rules (in some form) should definitely be included in the Starter pack. Things I loved about the Demo rules were the limitation of 4 magic spells to each race. I initially wanted to play with no magic for our first game, but soon realized that cutting magic from the game severely cripples the game play. However, the numerous spells in the full game severely cripples the game to anyone starting out.

My recommendation for a new rule book would be to classify the spells into two groups, Basic and Advanced. The Basic magic spells should closely follow the Demo rules. Narrow the list of spells down to four spells for each race with lots of overlap. The Demo rules were perfect for that.

The tables in the Demo rules for Normal, SAI, Dragon and Terrain Icons was a God send. Of all the cheat sheets, I found this the most important when starting out. All those cardboard cards that come in the Starter pack were pretty much useless. Put all the Icons for each race on a single cardboard insert and stick that in the box. Now that would be useful.

Some of the suggestions on the Demo rules I think were unnecessary. We did play without doubling magic, but this hurt our ability to use magic. Both of us would try to cast, but never had enough points to do more than resurrect more than one unit. Speaking of Resurrect, do we really need 3+ spells all by different names that do the same thing? I understand the importance of theme, but too much theme can bring a game down. For beginners, I'd pick generic spells with spell names that are common among all the races.

Another complaint about magic in a Basic game is the spells with a duration effect. All of these spells seem to overly complicate the game. Not just the spells, but the ability to track what spells are in effect and on what unit or terrain. Do people use poker chips or paper and pencel to keep track of such things? By all means, the Basic rules should have NO spells with a duration. That includes Dragon effects and similar crud. It's a lot easier to deal with spells that can be resolved instantly. If all duration effects could be removed from the Basic game, the Turn Sequence could be narrowed down to 3 steps:

1st March
2nd March
Reserve Movement

Even keeping track of which March was tedious for us. We often forgot which phase we were on in the game. I'm sure this is a core part of the game mechanic, but my daughter and I may consider reducing the game to a single March and Reserve movement per turn.

SAI's...I'm still trying to understand these. Some seems like duel purpose icons. Almost like having a second ID icon. Others are like instant magic. The purpose of SAI's to me seem redundant to features that could be had elsewhere in the game mechanics. I chalk it up to my lack of understanding, but we both groaned whenever an SAI icon showed up. We wanted to make the rule that if you rolled an SAI, that you had to re-roll that die. A simple enough solution. However, doing such an action pretty much throws off some of the balance for that die. A shame there's no easy want around SAI's for a beginner other than have a different set of rules written for rolling an SAI when playing Basic rules.

Terrain faces...I like the basic advantage you get when controlling a Terrain. Doubling maneuvers and saves is a nice defense advantage and makes sense, but the choice of Action doesn't make sense to me. You control the 8th face and now you can determine the distance you are from your enemy (ie: magic, missle, or melee)? It's a nice advantage, but one that does not seem to make sense to me.

My final gripe is one I've already vented before. The choice of dice in a Starter pack don't make for a very balanced game. It's that collector aspect of the game that drags it down (for me).

In summary, nice game with a nice mechanics. The basic game is easy enough to understand. The complication I find in the rules are all the exceptions. I look forward to playing again with my daughter, but due to the pain in the arse of attaining dice, it's likely we will never become hard core DD players. Who knows, it may inspire us to create our own version of DD.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Denimwizard
common



Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 356
Location: Maryland

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there . I guess i could give my two cents on the subject here.

Some SAI's are combos of normal actions, Trample, Rend, and come to mind.

Some SAI's are specialized actions , Smite does melee but the kicker is there is NO save against it. Where as Bullseye is a missle but it can target single units.

Cantrip is indeed instant magic.

So now comes the Terrains at an 8th face: You get Double your saves and Manuvers. You can perform any action. And you get the benifit of the type of terrain (City, Standing stones, tower etc..) But lets talk about actions. The reason its strategically sound to have access to all the actions is because some times you dont want to just melee once you capture it. If you r army is tailored to missle for instance. Then you could missile to an adjacent terrain or the terrain your in with out having to deal with a pesky counter attack. You could also choose to cast magic for what ever bonus's or banes you want to throw out.
_________________
750 Dragon Diceâ„¢ and Counting!
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
releppes
dragonfoal



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Location: Rochester, NY

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denimwizard wrote:
Hey there . I guess i could give my two cents on the subject here.

Some SAI's are combos of normal actions, Trample, Rend, and come to mind.

Some SAI's are specialized actions , Smite does melee but the kicker is there is NO save against it. Where as Bullseye is a missle but it can target single units.

Cantrip is indeed instant magic.


That's exactly my perspective. SAI's seem redundant of features that can be had elsewhere in the game mechanics. I know thats a sweeping statement. It's just my perspective.

It's also a prime example of unnecessary complication in the rules. If there was an easy way to trim the special exceptions to create a Basic rule set, that would be great. However, think special exceptions seem to be part of the core mechanics in regards to balancing the races.

Denimwizard wrote:
So now comes the Terrains at an 8th face: You get Double your saves and Manuvers. You can perform any action. And you get the benifit of the type of terrain (City, Standing stones, tower etc..) But lets talk about actions. The reason its strategically sound to have access to all the actions is because some times you dont want to just melee once you capture it. If you r army is tailored to missle for instance. Then you could missile to an adjacent terrain or the terrain your in with out having to deal with a pesky counter attack. You could also choose to cast magic for what ever bonus's or banes you want to throw out.


I understand what the advantage is for controlling a terrain. My comment on how it doesn't make sense is in reference to how the terrain counter loosely represents the distant between the armies. Magic and Missel implying the armies are distant and Melee being that they're close. I suppose it's the theme or concept.

In any case, I think it's a nice plus. Giving such an advantage to the controlling army helps push a game into resolution. This is how I felt it when playing my daughter. I captured my Home, then immediately started to pummle her campaign army.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
SpazzyP
dragonmount



Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Posts: 31
Location: Dickson TN

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

releppes wrote:

I understand what the advantage is for controlling a terrain. My comment on how it doesn't make sense is in reference to how the terrain counter loosely represents the distant between the armies. Magic and Missel implying the armies are distant and Melee being that they're close. I suppose it's the theme or concept.


I had the same problem at first but when i thought about it it made sense. the Temple City and Tower can all be thought about like this, the enemy is outside and I'm inside. I can chose to confront them in melee, stick my head out the window and shoot them or stay safely inside and cast magic. That theory doesn't make as much sense for a standing stones but lets say that the magical energy in the area can create a force field to repel your enemy. Very Happy
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
releppes
dragonfoal



Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
Location: Rochester, NY

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpazzyP wrote:
I had the same problem at first but when i thought about it it made sense. the Temple City and Tower can all be thought about like this, the enemy is outside and I'm inside. I can chose to confront them in melee, stick my head out the window and shoot them or stay safely inside and cast magic. That theory doesn't make as much sense for a standing stones but lets say that the magical energy in the area can create a force field to repel your enemy. Very Happy


Hehe...my thoughts exactly.

Definitely a nice perk for controlling a terrain.
Back to top
 View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group