SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Scalder mold?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions about SFR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Swamp Stalkers will not be made as a kicker this year. We also are not making more Amazon/Swamp Stalker starters. I'm not going to say what and when we will do to make more Swamp Stalkers, but I will say that we will have Swamp Stalkers available again as soon as we can. I will also say that we are not going to change the monster mold for Swamp Stalkers, and that means that the rarity of the monsters will not change. Not unless someone wants to give us about $4000 for a new mold.....

Does this mean that if I do give you $4k you would make a new mold for, say, Scalders?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious, then yes. However, we just made more Scalders (they will be back in stock by June). So it may be awhile....

If you are really serious and have that much money, PM me.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

If you are really serious and have that much money, PM me.

Shocked

Oh, to have to have that discussion at the next board meeting...
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new molds to change rarities please...
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoesan wrote:
No new molds to change rarities please...

I agree. Many of us have spent a lot of time effort and money to collect the ultra-rares of the races that have them. it would be all for naught if the rarity issue was corrected for those races. if youre voting on this, consider my vote as follows:

Let the rarities stand
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it make any difference if we changed the ink color again?
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceā„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceā„¢, and others (too many to count).
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:

That would work for me. Smile
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokidchser wrote:
chuckpint wrote:

Would it make any difference if some units disappeared and new ones took their place?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:05 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or would it make more sense to change the rare mold, so all the rares had equal rarity?
Cat
dragonsteed

luxembourg.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in this for playing the game and not for chasing rare dice, so from that perspective any or all of Chuck's thoughts are good:

Different ink colours are fine and make no difference to me.

Replacement units would be fine, and bonus points if they're done with an eye towards enhancing desirable playability.

Equallised rarities increases my chances of acquiring more dice variety. While I'm not going to chase down rare dice, I appreciate having a wider assortment on hand to choose from when building armies.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply changing the ink color while also changing the rarity would not make it OK from my perspective. It is a collectible dice game, and there are certain dice that are simply hard to get. That is just part of the deal. In retrospect, the rarity may not be what most people would have went with for Scalders, Frostwings, and Swamp Stalkers, but it is what it is. I don't like changing the rarity of something that collections have been built over nearly 20 years.

Part of the value of those hard to get dice is tied to being able to field them in a game. Increasing their availability, even with an ink color change, still negatively impacts the value of the originals.
DScottOBrien
common
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:32 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffwiggs wrote:
lokidchser wrote:
chuckpint wrote:

Would it make any difference if some units disappeared and new ones took their place?

Actually, i like this suggestion better, though this would beg the question of "parity", in that there would be more varied units to choose from in those races than the others.
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:12 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokidchser wrote:
cliffwiggs wrote:
lokidchser wrote:
chuckpint wrote:

Actually, i like this suggestion better, though this would beg the question of "parity", in that there would be more varied units to choose from in those races than the others.

Wow... so somehow I missed this suggestion. Are we saying that, as an example, there might no longer be an Inferno produced? SFR would make a new magicrare unit, probably close to the same as the Inferno (had cantrip, etc) but maybe a side or two has different icons (maybe it has two missiles instead of two saves or something), even giving it a new name, and then make a new mold that had that die instead of the Inferno, at a much more palatable rarity across the 5 rares? The objective being giving everyone an easier access to a rare Scalder magic unit (with cantrip), without messing up Inferno distribution.

I like this option better than changing Inferno rarity, even with different ink, that's for sure. If SFR is committed to making a scalder and frost wing rare magic unit available to the masses, then I think this is definitely the best idea I have seen so far.

For what its worth, I do not think SFR would need to do this for the monsters (replacing UF, Ogre, and Ormyrr) since there is no pressing need to get those particular dice to the masses. Sure they are lame monsters... other races have lame monsters too. I can see the argument for SFR wanting to make a rare magic unit readily available for each race, from a gameplay perspective, so replacing Inferno and Magi with something else to do that makes sense to a degree.

I am not sure about the idea of having 6 rare units in two races, but, that doesnt really bother me too much. Just wait til you hear the calls for 6th Rares for the other 10 races!
stormywaters
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the Inferno but inked differently. That makes the "old" Inferno still collectible, as it is still incredibly rare, but it means that players have access to the new-ink Inferno that is more common.

Keep in mind, I also went to a lot of work and spent a lot of money to get the Infernos I have, but I want this to be fair and with magic being as dominant as it is, I don't want a leg-up because I spent a ton of money on packs.

As for a new magic rare, I don't mind that, but I don't want to see it be a lesser version of Inferno (like replacing saves with missiles). I'd prefer a side-grade, not a down-grade. Maybe two smaller Cantrip faces, replacing the four-Cantrip and two-magic face? Or a new, solid Magic SAI (though it'd have to be good to replace Cantrip)?
shoesan
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormywaters wrote:

As for a new magic rare, I don't mind that, but I don't want to see it be a lesser version of Inferno (like replacing saves with missiles). I'd prefer a side-grade, not a down-grade. Maybe two smaller Cantrip faces, replacing the four-Cantrip and two-magic face? Or a new, solid Magic SAI (though it'd have to be good to replace Cantrip)?

I do not like simply printing more Infernos with different ink at all. Changing the ink does NOT ensure value.

When I was saying a new rare that had missiles instead of saves, I was not intending to "downgrade". I was just trying to illustrate that there would be some face changes to truly make it a different die. I would think even the ID face would change, as it would be a new unit. Absolutely the die should be a game-balanced addition to the race, not a nerfed Inferno. I would leave the actual faces to the SFR team, with hopefully input from the forums, on what the die would actually have. I just wanted to show positive support for a new die that would replace the Inferno as a better solution than a re-inked Inferno with a different distribution rarity. I picked "two missiles" off the top of my head... no thought there as to gameplay, or really what any new faces ACTUALLY should be.
Cataphract
dragonmount

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first post here. I just wanted to chime in because I have some experience with economics and rarity.

First of all, if MtG or the vintage toy market has taught me anything, it's that re-making a thing generally increases the value of the vintage version of that thing. By exposing new clientele to something they had no access to before, it makes them investigate the item more closely. While this isn't guaranteed, one way that could guarantee increased value in the old item would be to change the ID art for the "new" die; changing the color may help as well, but having an "exclusive" ultra rare art on the face of the die will make it massively more desirable as a status symbol.

Note that this does nothing for those of you who don't want it re-cast because you like to be "special" in that you have a really rare thing, of course.

Also note I have zero interest in Scalders, so I'm not saying this out of a desire to get the rare thing.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cataphract wrote:
Hello! This is my first post here. I just wanted to chime in because I have some experience with economics and rarity.

First of all, if MtG or the vintage toy market has taught me anything, it's that re-making a thing generally increases the value of the vintage version of that thing. By exposing new clientele to something they had no access to before, it makes them investigate the item more closely. While this isn't guaranteed, one way that could guarantee increased value in the old item would be to change the ID art for the "new" die; changing the color may help as well, but having an "exclusive" ultra rare art on the face of the die will make it massively more desirable as a status symbol.

Note that this does nothing for those of you who don't want it re-cast because you like to be "special" in that you have a really rare thing, of course.

Also note I have zero interest in Scalders, so I'm not saying this out of a desire to get the rare thing.

Hi Cataphract,
welcome to the forum!

One thing to consider, with respect to MtG, is that the dice we are talking about are in production, you can very well find them in one of the available kicker out there. it's just that chances are... you won't Smile
They are very rare, and only one in 40 kicker is to be found.

One the one hand, having a better chance to find one of the actually ultra-rare dice in a kicker would make it easier for newcomers to build an army with those races afflicted by this kind of distribution (Scalder and Frostwing, to my knowledge) - Inferno, for instance, is quite a good die itself, and you'd want to have them in your army.

On the other hand, those who have invested time and money in the search for those ultra-rare dice may be p****d off if they become more common.

My view: I've two Infernos, one I've found in a kicker, the other is a promo one, which I bought at premium price from the SFR store. I wouldn't be p****d off by a different rarity, maybe with different ink colour or something to leave an extra value to the existing ones. But I have no plan to ever trade or sell my dice, rather... I NEED other 4 inferno Smile

But this is an hard choice they may take for the good, possibly finding a way to leave some value to the existing dice and save some of the investement of existing collectors. I'm glad I'm not the one who have to take it

Mr. Green
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's where this all is at: It was a huge mistake by TSR to make any race with have different rarities for any die that is not a monster. Only two races have this problem: Frostwings and Scalders. And it's not just the magic unit. Here's the rarity breakdown, the mold holds 70 dice, the number is the number of cavities in the mold for that die:
MissileCalvaryHeavyLightMage
Frostwings22626142
Scalders26146222

So here's an idea. We remake the mold (someday, this is not a high priority), and change the rarity to flat. We still make the current mage, but add a new die.
MissileCalvaryHeavyLightMage(old)Mage(new)

So the old very rare die is still available. But there is a new die that replaces it (and maybe is cooler). We can adjust those numbers. For example, instead of the new die being 12, make it 14, and make two other dice at 13 (like the 2 that were at 26 and 22 before). That makes it close to flat, yes we have 6 die, and yes we are not affecting the rarity of the "collectable" die.

BTW, my first thought is to replace the Cantrip side with Cloak. Otherwise leave it the same. We could talk about an entirely new SAI that does magic. But I like the idea of not introducing a new SAI.
danilo
common

italy.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:00 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like a good way to deal with that.

now the collectors will be p****d of because they have a new die to catch for those darned Scalders and Frostwings, g** ****** them

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

seriously, I think no one could possibly complain, except my wife if she only knew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> General Questions about SFR All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: