SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple of ideas, just curious for some thoughts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:11 am GMT    Post subject: A couple of ideas, just curious for some thoughts. Reply with quote

I expect these to get shot down, but I was just curious...

What if...

There was an all white (non ivory) race. Call them 'Elementalists'.
They wont have a magic 'class'. Their monsters would be Elementals. (i.e. Earth, wind, fire, water and death).

I have not thought much more into it. But Some possible out comes. Their monster SAIs would do what those color lists will do.
Their racial spells will be cheap due to the lack of magic.
The mind reels.

What if...

The silver medal not only unburied and ressed magic items and unburied kin, but also summoned 4 pts. of kin to that army. I think that it would be used more. It would allow for kin to be of a different purpose other than meat shielding mages. (Obviously you would choose ONE of the THREE options (unbury and res items is 2 in one as it has to be)).
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am GMT    Post subject: Re: A couple of ideas, just curious for some thoughts. Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
What if...

The silver medal not only unburied and ressed magic items and unburied kin, but also summoned 4 pts. of kin to that army. I think that it would be used more. It would allow for kin to be of a different purpose other than meat shielding mages. (Obviously you would choose ONE of the THREE options (unbury and res items is 2 in one as it has to be)).

I like the idea of summoning dragonkin with the medallion. It allows you to play more dragonkin champions, which I think are great.
On the other hand, there is a very serious possibility that the idea might be overpowered. The problem is that, compared to the gold medallion, the silver medallion would not remedy a loss, but give a nearly unconditional benefit. It reminds me a bit of the old rules for the Swamp Stalkers. I'm not sure though, and it would be very interesting to see this tested in a game.

F
Dolus
rare

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the silver medallion idea.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually do fear what Funky is suggesting.

Let me ask this to Mr. Wiggs, Pint or Rayborn.
I dont wish to change anything with my current group with out cause.

I appreciate the heads up.
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you scaled that to promoting 1 or 2 health (so you have to have cast some magic to bring dragonkin to the army first), then I don't see it as overpowering. Would need some playtesting first....

Funny thing: Cliff and I were just talking about something extra for the Silver earlier today. We're both at Forge Con, and it's not often we are in the same place with time to talk....
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
DialFforFunky
rare

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the scaling. 1 or 2 health worth of Dragonkin could be balanced. Perhaps the Medallion could promote as well as summon.

While we're on the subject: I'm not sure I've posted this anywhere already, but I had a different idea for the Silver Medallion. Perhaps its worth considering Why not highlight the reflective properties of silver and make the Silver Medallion reflect spells? Something roughly along the lines of Dispel Magic, but instead of stopping it, one/all of the spells gets reflected to a new target.

F
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Mr. Pint, your timing is flawless. Half way into my play testing when I saw your msg. Ian, from Vancouver, helped out for about 1.5 hours. got about 4 or 5 games in.

In the first half, we did the 4 full points of summoning. Its not "op" per-se. BUT I did not at all like the fact we were slinging kin champs around like they were nothing. It completely under gravitated them and I did not appreciate what was happening. Now 2 or 3 games is not enough to judge whether its op or not, it seems like it could be. A couple of flurries and then a dragon kin champ would create a hole. Those are my initial thoughts on that matter.

Now, one thing I would like to say about
Quote:
(so you have to have cast some magic to bring dragonkin to the army first),

I am personally campaigning to not so much 'nerf mages' but really to give power to the other classes so that they are more independent of magic. This is just one angle I am coming from when investigating this change or any other recent ones.

With that said, we decided to try a 2 point summon/promote and it worked out much better and was very nice. The reason I went with the 2 points rather than the 1 point is to try and keep it to some effect aligned with a 4 pt. component.

Dial, I will have to say that is a fantastic angle, making it anti magic. Heck, maybe even making it able to mirror an spell already in play or just flat out what you suggested, I like that. Never occurred to me.

I appreciate all feed back.
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:57 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Let me know how it develops....
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:38 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely proposing anything yet. I just wanted to see what kinda feed back from you (Mr. Pint, Mr. Wiggs, Mr. Rayborn) on the idea itself. Basically as to not linger on a bad idea.

But since its a 'you should see what you can find' scenario ill throw it into my meetup group starting today.

This is the rule set for this week:
Quote:
SFR/TSR Logo (Silver Medallion): Special (any non-maneuver)
During any non-maneuver roll, returns one buried magical item to the army this medallion is a part of or one buried Dragonkin to the summoning pool. You may also choose to instead summon or promote up to 2 health of dragonkin to the army containing this medallion. Any color of dragonkin maybe targeted.

Please note that even the promote is to the containing army. This is not the eldarim spell promote kin which can be targeted from other armies, that will remain a power in their hands.

I was also thinking how this would encourage the Eldarim as a race. You could start getting the Acolytes off the shelves a little more. Get folk into other forms of strat. Just a thought.

Last edited by Skawilly on Sun May 27, 2012 8:57 am GMT; edited 1 time in total
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I would like to add support to the idea of 2 points rather than 1. A bronze medallion can summon/promote 1 point also, and do so much more, like res 1 point magic items in a cantrip scenario. This could be a shining separation between the two.
Raven's Hollow Games
dragonsteed
Retailer

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like say something to this
Quote:
What if...

There was an all white (non ivory) race. Call them 'Elementalists'.
They wont have a magic 'class'. Their monsters would be Elementals. (i.e. Earth, wind, fire, water and death).

I have not thought much more into it. But Some possible out comes. Their monster SAIs would do what those color lists will do.
Their racial spells will be cheap due to the lack of magic.
The mind reels.

I have thought of this idea as well, but I do not think it should be limited to one race. I have thought of merfolk, or sahuagin for water, a water elemental, and direshark for some of the monsters. Maybe an avian race for blue. Also this would make it so magic would be an option, since technically they would be weaker than most magic users do to the limit of one color.

Also by stretching it out over more sets in gives more life through expansions for the game. Even if it was only one color a year would it not be awesome to see more races?
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after yesterday I we played this out. Egg was kind enough to endure the torture when he drove 3 cities away to play.

But, here is what I heard most of...

Medallions need a nerf.

With that said, I forced myself to bring a silver every game. A couple of games Brandon brought a gold medal. The gold medal still did more for him than the silver did for me. I think that is a good sign, as far as the medals being on par with each other. In other words, I still think the silver is under played a little in comparison with the other medals, but all in all it was used and not worthless. Brandon actually made an Eldarim build with it and it was good times. Fun watching him blow up like a balloon.

10 games is not enough for me to say anything just yet. But I think this is worth an honest proposal.

http://sfr-inc.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=49393#49393
Iain456
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's Iain! Mr. Green
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian needs a nerf.
Skawilly
rare
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pint or Mr. Wiggs can we change it so that Ian is rolled at random times?
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:
Mr Pint or Mr. Wiggs can we change it so that Ian is rolled at random times?
Only if you get "Thieving Beast" on your dice roll. Mr. Green
Let's see how many people know to what I am referring....
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Dice™, 20,000 Daemon Dice™, and others (too many to count).
Iain456
common

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad unamused
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain456 wrote:
Evil or Very Mad unamused
You do know that Mr. Green means "sarcasm", correct?
eggsaladsandwich
uncommon

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
Only if you get "Thieving Beast" on your dice roll. Mr. Green
Let's see how many people know to what I am referring....

Cities of Doom, alas , a fine CDG that is being played by the Dodo birds now....ho hum.....
cliffwiggs
SFR Treasurer
Chief Wheedler
SDA - Rules NitPicker

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:21 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skawilly wrote:

Medallions need a nerf.

Meaning a weakness or to be toned down?

i.e. I see too many gold medallions in my opinion. Should be be reduced to only 2 health resurrected instead of 4?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Game Variations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: