SFR, Inc. Forum Index SFR, Inc.
Forums that relate to SFR products

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medusa and Stone

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddicerc
rare
Public Relations Director
Esteemed Author

stkitts_nevis.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Medusa and Stone Reply with quote

This may fall under the heading of "Things We Don't Think Need to Be Fixed," but reading the frustration of the Medusa-in-reserves crowd, I think there would be an easy fix for it. (And it is a problem-a Medusa in reserves is basically immune to attack unless you have blue or black magic, and you need a heck of a lot of black magic to get it.) Just rephrase the SAI description to, "During a missile action at a terrain..." That won't affect any other die with Stone (since only Amazons can launch missiles from reserves), and put the Medusa out where it belongs. I don't think the original intent of allowing Amazons to do missiles from reserves was to give them a chance to SAI away their opponents. Bullseye at least allows a save.

As an aside, why was Stone made a missile SAI anyway? Wasn't the whole point of the mythology behind it that you had to SEE the Medusa (or other monster) to be turned to stone? There's no need to change it to a melee SAI (of which we have plenty), but it should at least mean the monster is out and fighting.

The downside? Medusas get used less frequently-as do almost all other monsters. This is a systemic problem with monsters in the game, though, not one particular to Medusas.
(Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...)
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chuckpint
White Dragon
SFR President
Site Admin

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have resolved the Amazon missile problem by changing the range of reserve attacks to only home and frontier. There is always at least one terrain that is safe from Amazon reserve missile.

Basically this falls under the observation that a race will have an easier time defeating some races, and a harder time with others. It's also a good reason why to bring two or even more races in your armies.

In Dragon Diceâ„¢, melee is close up, missile is at some range, and magic has no range. Since a "gaze" attack has a range in the D&D world, they assigned it to missile. Logicial? No, but it is consistent.
Single Race Champion GenCon 2008-2009, Sealed Box Champion GenCon 2007,2009,
My collection is 21,500 Dragon Diceâ„¢, 20,000 Daemon Diceâ„¢, and others (too many to count).
slcobbs
uncommon
Stockholder

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also never had a problem with the Amazon ability before it was changed. The Feral and Treefolk were its achilles heel. The medusa can't out maeuver a hidden unit. So, it would take more than medusa sitting in the reserves to scare me.

Scott C
Deeghter
rare

germany.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckpint wrote:
I think we have resolved the Amazon missile problem by changing the range of reserve attacks to only home and frontier. There is always at least one terrain that is safe from Amazon reserve missile.

Please, Chuck, if you change parts in the rules like this one, please - if possible - change that in the race's PDF file, too!
It still says "any army at any terrain" in the Amazon PDF which I always used as quick reference in games, cause SAI's and racial abilities are found much quicker in there than in the pretty thick rules folder!

I just found this while surfing the older posts in this forum. I always thought that the races's PDF files are also updated, since they're for download on the official SFR web site!

Forum Games Record: W 5 / L 10

www.dragondicer.com
SFR's German electro-punk-bluegrass artist Deeghter @@ My S&JW Memorial Space! Tanx, Steve!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SFR, Inc. Forum Index -> Old Rules Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: